Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Laptop randomly freezes with no solution for months!

rat
Beginner

I ve been dealing with random freezes for months on a samsung laptop with intel iris Xe(see pictures below for detailed specifications). Today for example, I was just checking my emails and it suddenly frozen. If I take my main ssd and put it in my old laptop(which is also a samsung but with nvidia gpu) and keep using it there, no more freezes occur in my old laptop so I assume its something related to my current laptop. I highly suspect the iris Xe driver. At this point I ve tried so many possible solutions, so I started making a list of everything I ve tried so far(which not solved the problem):

*formating partition and reinstall windows(obvious)

*using windows 10

*using windows 11

*using old version of iris xe driver from 2021, updating via device manager

*using newest version of iris xe driver, updating from Intel website

*updating all drivers using IObit driver booster

*uninstalling all browsers and using a different browser

*keeping bluetooth off

*keeping wifi off(using internet via cable only)

*changing RAM memory

*increasing RAM memory

*changing my secondary HDD to a new SSD

"not using secondary HDD

*not installing some softwares that I like(media player classic, k-little codec pack, etc)

*checking temps when it freezes(had to keep my temp monitoring softwares open all day but all temps were ok at the exact moment when it frozen)

*using a base cooler below my laptop

*turn off "turn off hard disk after X seconds" in power plans

*disable windows update

*disable all services in msconfig except for windows services

*disable "turn off screen after X minutes". Also I did the same for sleep and hibernation features(I actually never use those).

Some detailed specifications and helpful pictures that I took:

Notebook Samsung Book
model NP550XDA-KH2BR

rat_2-1690237474531.png

rat_3-1690237560847.png

rat_5-1690238436009.png

This is everytime the laptop became frozen. The critical alert in event manager is actually because I had to force shutdown because it was frozen so it doesnt refer to the frozen state specifically but its the consequence of it

rat_4-1690237830350.png

I wanted to disable some features in BIOS but it doesnt seem to have much stuff to mess with in this laptop.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ra,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you.

Regarding your issue, we would like to recommend the following:

• Could you check if this issue is present on the BIOS menu?
  • You should also check if the Drivers are updated.
    • Open the Start menu, then Settings. Click Updates & Security, then the Check for Updates button. This will update critical drivers.
  • Please try running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. (Intel®️ IPDT)  It does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working properly.
    • Once installed, the Intel® PDT starts testing the processor using the default configuration. Two windows might appear to show the test is in progress.
    • When the Intel® PDT completes, the testing status will display either a PASS or FAIL.
  • Examine the Task Manager to see if anything is being used at high capacity.
    • Use the Windows* search bar on your system and type Task Manager
    • Click More details.
    • Under Processes, watch usage by CPU, memory, Disk, network, or GPU. 
    • Close the application that is causing high usage, and see if the issue goes away.

However, since your system is a laptop, you should contact Samsung for further support regarding your issue, since they can perform a hardware inspection of your system and determine if your system is faulty.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
rat
Beginner

Hey, thanks for the answer. I managed to take a photo at the moment it freezes, showing some stuff. Nothing seems strange or being highly consumed except for the wifi but I was on youtube watching videos at that moment. All values also stopped changing as it got frozen, despite the fact I could still close the window and move those windows around. Its a strange kind of freezing because I can still move things, but not open new programs neither turn off the computer by normal ways. Also if I have a game running, the game still keeps running and its playable at some point but it wont make any write operation on my ssd like saving game and things like that, but it will eventually freeze aswell.

rat_0-1690313554483.png

I used the Intel DIagnostic Tool but it passed on everything

rat_2-1690313661256.png

About freezing in bios menu, I can normally use it and nothing occurs at all.

These are the temperatures at the exact moment when it freezes:

rat_0-1690314572933.png

rat_1-1690314591886.png

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat,

Thanks for the information provided.

We will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat,

Since you have completed multiple Troubleshooting steps without success, we would recommend you consult with your laptop's manufacturer (Samsung) for further recommendations. As we mentioned before, they can do additional debugging and even discard any hardware failure. Since this is a laptop system, the best course of action is to contact Samsung support regarding this matter.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos