Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21286 Discussions

Laptop with Arc A370M crashing on Davinci Resolve

Danrdz10103
New Contributor I

Just got this laptop: HP Envy 16", 12700H, Arc A370M, 64GB ram.... and twice in a single idea I have seen my Davinci Resolve Project crashing, and got a BSOD with "Driver Power State Failure" error message.

Any suggestions now to debug the problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello Danrdz10103,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• By any chance, do you know if you are using the Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics or the Intel® Arc™ A370M Graphics to run the project?

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Danrdz10103
New Contributor I

Hi Steven,

Many thanks for following up. Sadly I did not have much time to debug this issue and I just returned the laptop to the retailer (Microcenter) for a refund. But if it helps others, the same BSOD crash I experienced using Adobe Premiere and it was very very common. for instance, 9 out of 10 times I ran the Puget Benchmark for Premiere, the benchmark will finish (about 20 minutes of heaving CPU and GPU usage albeit intermitently), the benchmark will show the score on the screen and almost instantly the trackpad and touchscreen stopped responding -still access to keyboard- and a few more seconds later, BSOD and forced reboot. 

while running the benchmarks I kept an eye on TAsk Manager, and A370M was the one most used (like if % usage was 90% for A370M, it was like 10-20 percent for the Intel Xe). the one time I connected an EGPU (with an RTX 3090) the benchmark finished perfectly and the computer never froze (while using the GPU I noticed A370M was at zero percent use).

I reinstalled windows try with different RAM (64gb and 16gb), reset BIOS, checked HP for drivers; check Intel for drivers.

The fact that the failures occur just after GPU intensive suggest to me, it is a GPU issue. the bSOD message was always the same "power state driver failure".

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We are sad to hear you had to return the laptop due to this issue with the graphics card, at the same time, we are glad to know you were able to claim the warranty for your device and get a refund for it. Since it is no longer possible to troubleshoot the issue, we will close this thread.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question. Keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos