Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Latest HD driver and black screen when Windows 10 login screen about to load

TMest1
Beginner

I have driver issue with a Dell Latitude 3340. I have the latest Intel HD Driver installed: 20.19.15.5058 and Windows 10 17134. I have black screen when log in screen is about to load. Safe mode , disabling Intel HD driver all allow screen to display as expected. When Graphic driver enabled external monitor works. I want the HD driver to work because without out it my games do not play. Thank you for any assistance you can give.

I have used the Intel Support tool to update all drivers and have done the same on the Dell site

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should be using ONLY the latest driver from Dell, not intel.

And, you should update W10 to 1809.

Doc

0 Kudos
TMest1
Beginner

Hi Doc

I did this originally and had black screen, so only tried Intel driver after the Dell one failed.

My updates are stating that I am up to date at 1803: how do I receive 1809?

Thank you

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You can update to 1809 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc

0 Kudos
TMest1
Beginner

Hi Doc,

I am downloading the update and then I will uninstall Intel driver and then the Dell recommended and will let you know my success.

Thank you

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It may not help to be on 1809, but it eliminates that variable. After you are on 1809, be sure check for updates.

Doc

0 Kudos
TMest1
Beginner

Hi

i updated to 1809 and installed subsequent updates and Dell recommended driver (Intel-HD-Graphics-4000-5000-500-P500-series-Driver_GCGDH_WIN_20.19.15.5058_A09) but it did not work. Is there any other advice?

Thank you

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not trying to pass this off, but Dell is solely responsible for support of your laptop. If you have not contacted them, I would do so. Now, the problem on the Dell side is likely that you no longer have support for your laptop, which leaves you,, well, you know.

Other than that, one of the Intel support engineers may have a suggestion.

Whatever the case, being on 1809 does make you current on the OS side, so "support" should be easier.

Sorry I could not help.

Doc

0 Kudos
TMest1
Beginner
0 Kudos