Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Latest Intel Beta DCH driver 9616 causes MAJOR memory leak and CPU usage!

locutusx
Novice

It looks like Intel has not figured out how to implement their new "next-generation Driver Installer Platform".

I just tried Intel DCH beta driver 9616. It simply hangs at the SPLASH SCREEN with the Intel logo. CPU usage sits at 80%. I waited 3 minutes (with my laptop fan at 100%) before checking Task Manager, and saw that memory usage was at 3.5 GIGABYTES and climbing!

I was not in the mood to waste any more electricity and needlessly harm the environment so I killed the process in Task Manager and obviously everything went back to normal.

I should point out that last year when Intel first tried their "NEW" driver installer platform, the exact same thing happened!!

My system: Windows 10 20H2, Lenovo Yoga C940

EDIT: I've found others on the Internet who had the same experience with the new Intel Driver Installer on the 9616 driver. Check out the following Reddit thread. None of these people are ME, I just found this thread by using google:

https://old.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/noemfj/skyrim_se_crash_fixed_with_intel_driver_9616_beta/

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

locutusx, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this ecnario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before, did you noticed major memory leak and CPU usage with the previous driver?

What was that driver version?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides installing the driver?

Is there any particular reason why you needed to install the Intel® Beta Generic Graphics driver?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
locutusx
Novice

Is my computer a new computer? Do you mean, did I just purchase it? No I have had it for several months

Did previous driver have the memory leak or did it hang while installing? No, previous driver was 9466, which uses the "old version" of the Intel Driver Installer and that one does not have memory leaks nor does it hang.

Why am I installing this driver? Because some of the resolved issues in the driver changelog may apply to me, that's why I want to improve my experience with the new driver.

Home or work environment? I am a consultant, so I use my computer for my business purposes. However, it is not a "corporate owned" or "Domain-attached" laptop.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

locutusx, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to let you know, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in Lenovo's website and the graphics driver version they have available is 6.20.100.7463, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c940-14iil/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics%20Processing%20Units%20%28GPU%29

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results and please provide the SSU report as well.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
locutusx
Novice

Hello,

I have noticed that Intel Beta DCH driver 9616 has been REMOVED from the Intel download website. What does that mean? Was there a bug/issue in it? Should I remove it too?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

locutusx, Thank you very much for your response.

What does that mean? Was there a bug/issue in it?, in reference to your question, the Beta driver is released for testing purposes, the drivers are in the testing stage of development, and although finished and applicable, they may not be perfect, it is considered a non-release driver.

"Should I remove it too?", in reference to your question, the proper driver for your system is the one provided by the manufacturer of your computer, that is the one you should be using, you can always keep the Beta driver installed, but it since it is a generic drive it will not contain all the customizations advertised by Lenovo, just like any other generic driver.

Did you install the OEM driver?

Does the problem persist with that driver?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello locutusx, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello locutusx, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos