Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20671 Discussions

Low VRAM

HD520man
Beginner

I have Intel HD 520 Graphics and 8GB of RAM and for some reason I only have 128mb of Dedicated VRAM which causes me to have bad performance in many modern games. Does anyone know how I can increase this because I am pretty sure that I am meant to be using more Dedicated VRAM but I am not. Please reply and help, you can reply and even ask for any of my other specifications. 

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Increasing the dedicated VRAM will not improve your graphics performance. The graphics driver will dynamically allocate (and deallocate) system RAM, as VRAM, as needs dictate. Up to 50% of the available RAM can be assigned as VRAM at any point in time.

Sorry, 

...S

0 Kudos
HD520man
Beginner

Is there anyway I could improve my performance?

0 Kudos
HD520man
Beginner

I don't really mind playing with bad graphics, as long as I can handle and play the game it is okay for me.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Only thing that comes to mind is to increase your RAM to 16GB. This will make up to 8GB available for graphics purposes.

...S

0 Kudos
HD520man
Beginner

Can I increase RAM on a lenovo laptop? I've heard that you can't increase RAM on laptops.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This varies from one laptop to another. I consider it a pretty slimy move to embed DRAM and not support upgrading.

...S

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello HD520man,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I hope the information provided by the superuser was useful. 

As an extra piece of information, it is important for you to check the compatibility between the RAM and your system. For this, you need to contact the manufacturer as they have the information on which memories are supported. 

You may also check with the manufacturer for guidance on how to install the memory into your system. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos