Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Lower performance when Intel UHD 630 is on the way

EFons2
Beginner

Hello,

I have a laptop with a Intel i7 8750H and a GTX 1060, and I am facing an issue quite frustating. When I play on the laptop screen with the NVIDIA card running the game, the performance is lower compared to when I have connected a monitor via HDMI, which is connected diretly to the NVIDIA Card.

This happends because the laptop screen is connected to Intel UHD 630 and appears that the intel graphics is blocking full performance of the NVIDIA card.

In some games the diference is up to 100fps.

I already test some drivers versions and the issue continuous. I also test in another laptop with a Intel i7 7700HQ, and the diference in performance is also there when playing on the laptop screen.

If this is a issue in intel drivers, it should be fixed right away, because gamers on laptops are losing performance.

Best Regards

Emanuel Fonseca

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello emanuel9: Thank you for joining the Intel® communities support.

We recommend to install the graphics drivers provided by the the manufacturer of the laptop, those drivers were customized by them to work with your specific platform, specially in this case that the computer is using an Nvidia card. Normally when there is an external video card installed on the computer the onboard Intel graphics get disable automatically, so the driver needed will be provided by the manufacturer of it or in this case by Nvidia.

The best thing to do in this case will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the laptop to confirm which are the graphics drivers needed and for them to provide further suggestions for this scenario.

Since the processor works with Intel® UHD Graphics 630, we can always try to install the generic Intel graphics driver version 25.20.100.6326:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EFons2
Beginner

Hello Alberto R.

The drivers provided by the manufacturer on their support site are just to the NVIDIA card. However the intel UHD needs drivers, by default came with a version that starts with 23.*** (March 2018). So I went to the intel support site and downloaded the latest version that was what you mention 25.20.100.6326. Currently I have that driver version of intel graphics.

I already reach out to the manufacturer via email and they provided me the NVIDIA driver that is on the laptop support site and a chiptset driver. I installed both and the problem persists.

As I said previously, when connected to a external monitor which is connected directly to the NVIDIA card, the performance is good, and uses the full power of the dedicated graphics card. But when playing on the laptop screen, the intel UHD card is also running, and with a program where I can see the usage of the GPU's, when the intel graphics card is in the way, the NVIDIA card is not on its full usage, and of course the performance is lower.

From my point of view, is some problem in software. Maybe in intel drivers or the NVIDIA Drivers not beeing very compatible when intel UHD is also running.

I don't know what else to do. I already did everything that the manufacturer said, and now I am reaching to you to see if it could be some problem on intel drivers.

Best Regards

Emanuel Fonseca

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A laptop with hybrid (i.e. Intel and NVIDIA or Intel and AMD) graphics requires modifications to both solutions' drivers in order to support switching between these drivers. The generic drivers provided on the Intel site do not have such modifications. You must get modified drivers for both graphics solutions from your laptop manufacturer. If you do not, you will continue to have problems like this because both drivers will be enabled simultaneously. If such drivers are not posted, you need to contact them directly and ask for these drivers. If they say they do not exist, then they do not know what they are talking about and you should ask to speak with their supervisor.

...S

0 Kudos
EFons2
Beginner

Hello N.Scott.Pearson

I already conctacted Asus about this situation, and they just provided me the NVIDIA graphics card drivers and chipset drivers.

I could contacted them again, but they will not provided me the intel drivers, because they don't have them on their support site from my laptop which is very recent.

I am on a situation where I can't do nothing else.

Best regards

Emanuel Fonseca

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Without properly formulated drivers, there is no way for you to prevent the two solutions from running at the same time and no way to prevent them interfering with each other. Honestly, I don't know what to suggest.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
EFons2
Beginner

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards

Emanuel Fonseca

0 Kudos
EFons2
Beginner

Hello again,

I just reached out to Asus telling about the situation that they need to provide custom intel drivers and you know what they respond?

They said that my laptop does not have a intel graphics card. So I lost my head and said that they don't know what they are talking about and today they gave me the same answer..

How is this possible? How is the support so bad that they don't even know their products. This is not right.

Oh, and by the way. I went to the msi support site, choose a laptop with the same specs. And they have the intel drivers. So I downloaded them and now the intel graphics card is on 0% use as it should be. But the performance didn't improve that much.

Regards

Emanuel Fonseca

0 Kudos
IKid
Beginner

Hi!

Have you checked if it is possible to disable Intel graphic card in your laptop's BIOS?

Best.

0 Kudos
EFons2
Beginner

Hello LaRseTe

Yes. I already checked, and it's not possible, because the screen is connected to the Intel UHD.

In the attachment you can see.

Regards

0 Kudos