Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Lower-screen flickering issues with Evolve Teaching Software by Cambridge University Press

DerekFich
Novice

Hello Intel Community,

I am a teacher with a brand new computer which includes Intel 630 onboard graphics (see beginning of video for full system details, followed by example of the problem).

I am experiencing screen tearing in scrolling when running my Evolve teaching software.  It seems to worsen when using Zoom, but I was able to replicate the problem in a Youtube recording here:

https://youtu.be/wtdKdwhF2NU

Please notice how the screen flickers and rips (it happens more during my classes).  This has never happened on my older computers.  I can only assume it is an issue with graphics and/or driver compatibility?  I have updated to the latest intel graphics drivers, although your update utility seems to keep me in an update loop asking me to update the drivers again, despite stating that the newest drivers have been installed  that's a second issue).  

I am most concerned about the screen flickering issue.

Thank-you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
DerekFich
Novice

I realize that first video didn't show it very strongly.  Here is another video, also showing the flickering as well as a strange countdown clock issue which could be either processor of software-related?  I have no idea about that, so I thought I would show it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShRopegwMs

See example of flickering on scrolling at :12 seconds, and another at 31:19. On another note, there is also a clock issue which keeps happening which may be related (the countdown clock often stops, backs up, or jumps around). Sample of that from 12:51 seconds in. The countdown clock issue also happens at 22:10, 22:31, 24:35, 30:20 into the video -- on pretty much every countdown. I don't have these issues on my other computers.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I was checking the videos that you provided and I would like to thank you as I was able to fully understand the flickering that you are experiencing.

To better assist you, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• Does the behavior occurs only with the “Evolve Teaching Software”? Is any other software affected by this behavior?
  • When did the flickering start? Were any changes made prior to this issue?
  • Do you remember if this behavior occurred after an operating system upgrade? If so, please provided the operating system version prior to this behavior?

To gather more information about your system such as software/firmware please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.  By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.  Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.  To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
DerekFich
Novice

Hello Esteban,

*  The behavior only occurs in the Evolve teaching software.  I could not replicate it elsewhere, although keep in mind I have only had this new computer for a week.

*  The flickering began from the first 10 minutes of using the software, and continued each time I used it.

*  This is a fresh Windows 10 Pro install with all patches and upgrades installed before use of the Evolve software.

* Please note -- I needed to add a graphics card yesterday to improve video editing and do some gaming.  I added the MSI 1650 Super Venus 4GB card, and after upgrading my system to this, and bypassing the internal graphics, all of my problems with the Evolve software are now gone.

Something else I might note... could it be that the Evolve software was simply overwhelming the internal graphics of the Intel UHD chip?  I am running 2 monitors, and though I checked and the problem happened with just one monitor, either with or without running Zoom concurrently alongside the Evolve software in classes, the 2nd video screen filled with 25 student windows made things even worse, at another time.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

Thank you so much for your response.

As this behavior occurs only with the “Evolve Teaching Software” we would need to consider the software as well. How do you perform the updates for the software? Is there any available update for this program?

• Can you please confirm the version of your operating system? Is this 20H2?
  • What is the current graphics driver?

Is there a way to determine the minimum/recommended requirements for the software? As you say, there is the possibility that among the requirements for the program, a discrete graphics card might be required.

Or it could be that the Intel Graphics driver that you were using at that time was out of date.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
DerekFich
Novice

Hi,

In all honesty, this software seems to work just fine with 4 or 5 year-old computers which have onboard graphics, all over my school.  It also worked on my ancient AMD-based home computer.  I am quite certain that it is not a very intensive program for onboard graphics to run.  

As per updates, the software is provided to us on a USB key, and we never update it.  The publisher may just provide updated versions to new buyer of their book series, but I do not know.  The software is new within the past year or two.

My windows version is attached in a photo.  The Intel graphics drivers were the newest ones, per what your Intel software told me.  I was very careful to check that thoroughly even before writing you.  

I am now running the NVIDIA graphics card instead, and it has zero issues.  Updating to the NVIDIA graphics card completely solved both the graphics and clock problem shown in the prior videos.

Here is a link to the Cambridge Evolve Software site:  
https://www.cambridge.org/about-us/contact-us/south-korea

Note that I am in South Korea, but they have offices elsewhere. It defaults to the Korean offices on my website link, probably because of my location.  I know the software is used worldwide, and not just here.

Hope this helps,
Derek

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

Thank you for your response.

I understand, in order to determine what could possibly causing this behavior I would appreciate if you could attach the report that was previously requested.

This is the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

To do so, I would appreciate if you could follow the steps below:

Intel® SSU Download link 

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 
  2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

DXDIAG report:

1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.  
  2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.  
  3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.  
  4. Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.  

We will be waiting for your response with the information attached.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
DerekFich
Novice

Hi, 

Here are the files you requested...  hope it helps!

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

Thank you so much for your response and the information provided.

I will review the reports and provide an update as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Right now that you are using the NVIDIA graphics* adapter resolved both issues (clock and scrolling).
  2. Do you recall if this behavior also occurred with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter? Will the issue occur only whenever the Intel graphics are enabled?
  3. By any chance did you try the BETA driver 27.20.100.9025? If so, did you notice any improvement?

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
DerekFich
Novice

Hi,

Yes, per question 1, the NVIDIA install of the 1650 Super GPU and drivers completely solved all problems instantly.

Per question 2, I can tell you that I was running whatever drivers Microsoft Basic Windows adapter loaded automatically on my machine (before I personally installed any Intel drivers myself) and it did have the problems.  I taught a class with the problem happening, and it then occurred to me that I had not yet installed the full set of customized drivers for various hardware (I literally got the computer at 3pm and taught a class at 5pm -- I was in a rush).  After experiencing the screen tearing, I remembered that I had not installed the drivers and was running on Windows basic drivers.  At that point, I assumed the tearing was due to a poor Windows driver.  I then installed the drivers from Gigabyte's DVD, and also added/updated the Intel driver with the Intel Driver & Support Assistant program, which I believe I got directly from Intel.  I tried to replicate the screen problems at all stages (first only Gigabyte drivers, then Intel's direct drivers) and the screen tearing may have improved a little, but was still there.  As mentioned, the screen tearing was worse when Zoom and the Cambridge teaching software were running at the same time, but it was there with or without Zoom, as well.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

I would say that issue seems to be related with the softwarenot detecting or working appropriately with the Integrated graphics of your processor in this case Intel® HD Graphics 630.

But it is able to detect and work perfectly with a dedicated GPU.

For that reason we were wondering if there is any king of software trial or version that we could use on our side to replicate this behavior as we are really interested on this matter.

If you have any sharable software please let me know, it can be shared privately if you prefer.

This is only for testing and it will be replicated in your Intel Lab using a similar configuration.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
DerekFich
Novice

Hi,

For the reasons you are wanting to use it, I'm sure Cambridge wouldn't mind.  It has a kind of digital activation key, which I can include, but can be traced to us (possibly).  

I think I can send you a Google Drive link. Do you have a private email for that?  I am assuming postings on here are not private.  You can send a response to my personal email, assuming you can access that.

One student level is equal to just under 1GB, so it's pretty big.  One level should be enough. I can send the one in the video.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

I will use the email that was used during the creation of your account.

We will be waiting for your response via email.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,

Were you able to check the email that I send you?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DerekFinch, 

We sent you an e-mail asking you if it is possible for you to provide a full installer or portable version of the software, is that possible? We need it since the ones we are trying to install say that we are missing some libraries (see attached). 

If you can provide it, please reply to the e-mails we had sent you. 

Please let me know if you need further help.

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician   

0 Kudos
DerekFich
Novice

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you further.  You will need to contact the manufacturer to receive a legal copy of this software.  Due to copy protections, it appears that we cannot send file transfers and make it work. I am not the owner of the USB key needed for full installation.  I thought it might work to send you files, but apparently not.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,  

Thank you for your reply. 

In this case, we will highly recommend you to check with the app developer to see if they have been able to test this software with an Intel® integrated graphics card. 

As the problem happens with Evolve Teaching only, chances are that it is a compatibility problem between the software and the integrated graphics card.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DerekFinch,   

I wanted to thank you for the report you made about this. 

As this problem is difficult to reproduce, we will do our best to check it internally but we cannot promise any particular outcome or fix for this. 

We will close this inquiry, if you have any additional question, please open a new thread. 

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos