Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Monitor flickers after connecting it with USB-C DisplayPort cable [Intel HD Graphics 630]

mfurman
Beginner

Hi, I have a problem connecting my monitor to laptop using cable HDMI -> USB-C.

My specifications:

Laptop ASUS VivoBook Pro 15

Monitor SAMSUNG BX2231

Intel HD Graphics 630

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On cable HDMI -> HDMI everything works fine. After connecting monitor with cable HDMI -> USB-C the screen on laptop flickers all the time and monitor displays nothing. I have USB-C DisplayPort in my laptop so it should work fine.

1. After restarting computer during startup (ASUS logo with spinner) everything works fine - monitor and laptop both display screen properly. After Windows startup laptop starts flickering and there is no screen on monitor.

2. Intel Software Center shows that monitor is connected and everything is fine. I was trying with changing 60Hz to 50 or 59, changing resolution and other properties - nothing changed.

3. I updated Intel driver to newest. Nothing changed.

4. I uninstalled Intel driver and checked different driver version. Nothing changed.

5. I turned off NVIDIA card. Nothing changed.

6. I tested HDMI -> USB-C cable on my phone - it works fine.

7. I checked some settings in BIOS and it looks fine, I don't know what I can changed there.

8. I've tried changing power plan in intel center to maximum performance. Nothing changed.

9. I'VE MADE BOOTABLE USB WITH UBUNTU AND IT WORKS PROPERLY ON THAT SYSTEM -> SO IT IS SOMETHING WITH WINDOWS OR INTEL DRIVERS.

I want to connect two monitors to my laptop - one on HDMI -> HDMI cable and the second on HDMI -> USB-C cable, so any other cheap (not adapters for 100-150 dollars) would be also okay for me.

Can anybody help me with this problem? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mfurman

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you are having flickering and no display issues on an external monitor when using a cable adapter USB-C (laptop) to HDMI® (display) but the issue does not happen when using straight-through connection HDMI-to-HDMI. This seems to be pointing out to an issue of using the cable adapter since when using a direct HDMI® to HDMI® cable (with the same drivers and devices: laptop and display) the issue is not present.

It is worth mentioning that we do not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work and they can lead to wrong color or resolution, flickering, low refresh rate, and other graphics issues. For more information please refer to Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel.

For recommendations about supported adapters, we recommend checking with your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM, in this case, Asus*).

However, we would like to gather some details to check this further. Could you please provide the following information?

1- Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Please provide one first report using only the display in question and HDMI® to HDMI cable connected to the laptop. Then, please provide a second report using the USB-C to HDMI® cable adapter. Please name the reports accordingly (e.g. HDMI-USB-C report, HDMI-HDMI report.).

2- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

2.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

2.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

2.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Note:

You can attach only 1 file at a time, so you may include all the files in a .zip file.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mfurman
Beginner

@AndrewG_Intel​ 

Hi,

it's just normal cable, as HDMI-HDMI. I ordered one more to check if it is broken, but it works perfectly fine on Ubuntu operating system as I mentioned in the topic.

Apart from that - I made and attached all scans that you asked for.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mfurman

Thank you for your response.

After checking the reports, we noticed that the system is running old driver versions (24.20.100.6286 and 26.20.100.7262), which one of them seems to be the latest drivers customized for your system and available at your OEM (ASUS*) website*, e.g. driver 24.20.100.6286.

In this case, we would like to recommend a clean install of the graphics driver testing our latest generic driver version 27.20.100.8190. Please follow the steps below:

1- Download the latest DCH driver version 27.20.100.8190 for Intel® HD Graphics 630 and save it on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update

3- Uninstall the Intel® HD Graphics 630 driver from Windows® >> Apps and Features. (if applicable).

4- Restart the computer.

5- Confirm in Device Manager >> Video/Display Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 3 through 4.

6- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel HD Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Programs and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1- Right-click on “Intel HD Graphics” or similar, and select “Uninstall Device”.

6.2- In the pop-up window make sure “Delete the driver software for this device” is checked.

6.3- Click on “Uninstall”.

6.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1 through 6.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter").

7- Install the DCH driver that was downloaded in step 1.

8- Restart the computer.

9- Reconnect to the Internet.

10- If needed, download the Intel® Graphics Command Center from the Microsoft Store.

Note:

After checking the Graphics reports. when using the cable adapter USB-C to HDMI, the video output in the laptop is identified as "DisplayPort", however, your display has an HDMI® video input, thus, some video/signal conversation is occurring from the laptop to display, and the one involved in this conversion process is the cable (a cable adapter) and we cannot guarantee that these cable adapters/converters are going to work. We also found that using the USB-C-to-HDMI cable is affecting the EDID information coming from the display (e.g. it is missing some information regarding supported modes, which is not the case when using HDMI-to-HDMI).

On the other hand, when using cable HDMI-to-HDMI, the Graphics reports identified the video output in the laptop as HDMI, which is connecting via straight-through connection as the input in the display is also HDMI.

For this reason, if the issue persists after testing with our latest graphics driver, we recommend checking this further with your laptop or cable manufacturer.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mfurman

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to perform the steps for the clean install of the graphics driver. Did the steps help to solve the issue?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mfurman

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this inquiry. If the issue persists and considering the monitor is working fine when using straight-through connection HDMI-to-HDMI, we kindly recommend you to check this further with your OEM.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos