Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Multiple issues with laptop connected to a external monitor at high refresh rates

Francisco_123
Beginner

Laptop model: ASUS ROG GL551JM-EH74 (i7 4710HQ Intel HD4600 used for the DisplayPort)

I'm using a GameFactor MG700 1440p 144hz external monitor connected through a Mini DisplayPort (laptop) to DisplayPort 1.4 (monitor)  VESA certified cable but the problems is the maximum refresh rate I can select is 120hz even if I set the resolution in Windows to 1080p.  I tested the same laptop on a different monitor (AOC 24G2 1080p 144hz) using the very same cable and I could select 144hz. I can also confirm that the GameFactor MG700 monitor works at 144hz using a different laptop.

Is there a reason why my laptop is capped at 120hz on that particular monitor (even at 1080p)?

My other issue is when I try to use the GameFactor MG700 at 1440p 120hz (given that 144hz won't appear) my monitor flickers and keeps blacking out, this doesn't happen at 1080p 120hz.

This is the cable I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H48BL1J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Laptop model: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GL551JM-15-Inch-Gaming-VERSION/dp/B00MMMMMX2

From what I have read the mini displayport 1.2 should be able to handle 1440p 144hz or at the very least 1080p 144hz, is there a way to fix this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Francisco_123,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you can you please provide the following reports and information:

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information
  • By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Note: You can use the option under the reply window to attach the report and any other files to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

DXDIAG 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

Intel® Graphics report

Instructions link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Note: With the graphics report you don’t have to send reports from both tools just the one that you currently use (If applicable).

1. Did you make sure that your monitor has the latest firmware available from the manufacturer’s website?
  2. Were you ever able to use this refresh rate with that monitor (GameFactor MG700) and this laptop (ASUS ROG GL551JM-EH74) before? Or is this the first time that you have tested this configuration?
  3. If you choose to use the second monitor only option by choosing it with the Windows key + P command does it allow you to choose the desired refresh rate?
  4. What type of graphics driver do you use with this laptop the generic one from our website or the customized one coming from ASUS’s website?
  5. You mentioned that this problem doesn’t appear if you use the GameFactor MG700 monitor with another laptop, may we know what exact laptop model you tested it with and if possible what processor does it come with?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Francisco_123
Beginner

Hi Victor, I've attached the requested reports, regarding your questions:

1. The monitor manufacturer doesn't provide any specific firmware for the GameFactor MG700, I could only find the manuals

2. No, I've never been able to use the GameFactor MG700 with the ASUS laptop neither at 1440p 144hz nor at 1080p 144hz.

3. No, even with only the second monitor enabled I can't choose 144hz neither at 1440p or 1080p.

4. I've tried both drivers, the generic one actually works better than the driver provided by ASUS, the driver provided by ASUS makes the monitor flicker even at 1080p120hz, I noticed that when using the driver provided by ASUS the Active signal resolution stays at 2560x1440, which probably explains why the monitor flickers at 1080p 120hz when using it.

5.  Sure, I tested it using a 13 inch 2019 Macbook Pro running Windows 10, it has a i5-8279U CPU with an Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655, I had to use a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter given that the Macbook only comes with Thunderbolt ports.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Francisco_123,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please take into account that most devices will support any resolution and refresh rate up to the maximum value listed on our website.

If you are using multiple displays in clone or duplicate mode, is normal that you can’t select that resolution and refresh rate because, you can only select values supported by all displays and your laptop doesn’t support that refresh rate; however, if the issue presents itself with the second monitor only option this issue could be related to the laptop’s customization.

Based on your chipset, monitor capabilities, and manufacturer configurations, your maximum supported resolution along with the maximum supported refresh rate can vary; therefore, in this case, since you have tested with both the OEM driver and our generic driver separately and the issue persists. What we recommend is the following:

• You can try using other high-quality cables, some low-quality/low bandwidth cables may limit the max resolution possible.

• In case that the latest ones didn’t work you can use the instructions to test the previous driver from both ASUS and Intel.

Note: After you download the drivers disconnect from the Internet, so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update while the instructions are been followed.

If none of the previous steps work, you can either contact Game Factor’s support to see if they have any further recommendations or you can also contact ASUS support directly so they can provide further advice.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Francisco_123
Beginner

Hi Victor, just to clarify I'm not using clone/duplicate mode, as a matter of fact I'm using only the second monitor, it doesn't seem like its a cable issue given that I tested it with a different monitor (AOC 24G2 1080p 144hz) using the ASUS ROG and it worked at the highest refresh rate (1080p 144hz) without issues. I retested doing a clean install of the intel drivers (both old and new) and the driver provided by ASUS but I'm still capped at 120hz on the GameFactor MG700.

I also noticed that in one of the files I sent you the "Supported modes" list correctly contains 2560 x 1440 (144p Hz) as a supported resolution, but for some reason it doesn't list neither 1920x1080 120hz nor 1920x1080 144hz, could that be relevant?

I'll also try contacting ASUS and GameFactor to see if they can provide up to date drivers/firmware.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Francisco_123,

Thank you for your response.

To answer your question yes it can be relevant, we did notice the supported modes by the monitor while we were reviewing the report; therefore, we don’t consider that this is a monitor issue; nonetheless, sometimes a firmware update is just what the system’s OS needs in order to recognize that the video output needs to be relieved to the monitor.

This kind of issues from our point of view are more related to how the system is interpreting having to relieve the video output on to the monitor and let the system recognize the capabilities of that external monitor; however, it looks like the system does recognize the capabilities it just not allowing them to be used and, we have experienced cases like this in which laptops mostly, due to their customization don’t allow a certain resolution and refresh rate to be achieved even though the external hardware is totally capable of it.

In this case, we believe that your best bet will be to check with the laptop’s manufacturer to see if they are able to replicate the issue, if they decide it is related to their driver they can always use our latest generic one as a base for a new customized one and, in case they need any help they can work with us internally or if they decide this has something to do with a hardware limitation at least they should be able to validate the information so more users are aware of it.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Francisco_123
Beginner

I will do as you say, it seems pretty weird that the AOC 24G2 monitor works at 144hz but not the MG700 one, I will follow up with ASUS to see what they recommend.

Thank you for your time. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Francisco_123,

Thank you for your response.

We wish you the best of lucks with ASUS.

We will proceed to close the thread, however, if you need any additional information in the future, you are more than welcome to submit a new question, just remember that this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos