Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

NUC8i5BEH with two monitors: which is the best lay out?

fabiospark
Novice

I would like to hook two 1920x1080 (or two 1920x1200) to my NUC8i5BEH and I'm trying to figure out if it would be better hook one to the HDMI port and the other to the USB-C port through an USB-C to HDMI cable/adapter, or if it would be better to get an USB-C to TWO HDMIs adapter and hoow both devices here.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @fabiospark 

Please refer to Multiple Display Configuration Options for Intel® NUC Kits NUC8i7BE, NUC8i5BE, and NUC8i3BE for possible configurations. My recommendation is to use direct cabling (without adapters).

Leon

0 Kudos
fabiospark
Novice

Thank you.

We don't have any USB-C display but we have a few HDMI or regular DP ones.

I will try a couple of cables/adapters and see if it will work.

Looking around the WWW there are unconsistent answers: for many it worked and for many others it didn't.

Thx.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For 1080p monitors, you can connect separately to the HDMI and USB-C connectors or you can connect both to the USB-C connector (the DisplayPort 1.2 signal has enough oomph to easily handle two 1080p monitors).

I would actually NOT recommend using USB-C-to-USB-C connection, though my complaint with it is more-specific to supporting 4K monitor(s).

For a single monitor, you can use USB-C-to-HDMI or USB-C-to-DisplayPort adapter/cable for a single monitor.

If you want to connect two monitors via the USB-C connector, you need to ensure that the adapter you get includes an MST Hub. Here is an example of a good USB-C-to-2xHDMI MST Hub adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPVGQKY (I have and use one of these).

Regardless of anything else, remember that you can only connect a maximum of three monitors.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos