Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Need help with three monitor config for 630 Graphics

WKozu
Beginner

I am in the process of spec'ing out a new PC. I will have an i7-8700 or i7-8700K CPU and I want to use the onboard graphics. The graphics adapter in this instance is therefore a 630.

According to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025673/graphics-drivers.html this Intel web page in a three monitor config the first two have to be displayport.

Active Display 1Active Display 2Active Display 3DisplayPort*DisplayPortHDMI*

DVI

VGA

DisplayPort

Built-in displayDisplayPort

HDMI

DVI

VGADisplayPort

HDMI

DVI

VGABuilt-in displayDisplayPort

HDMI

DVI

VGA

Built-in displayDisplayPort

HDMI

DVI

VGAIntel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi)

For my motherboard I am open to other options but I was thinking of using the https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/ Asus Prime Z370-A.

Here is the motherboard's outputs:

That motherboard has three video output ports - DP, HDMI, and DVI. But given the Intel web page it appears that if I want to use the three monitors I have to use DP for the first two monitors and since there is only one DP output does this mean that I have to use a Daisychain from monitor one to monitor two?

If so this means that I need monitor one to be a monitor with two DP connectors - an input and an output, correct? These monitors are relatively rare and are more expensive.

Can monitor two then be any monitor with just one DP connector?

And can monitor three just be any monitor with a DP, HDMI or DVI connector? (This is because the third monitor doesn't have to be DP)?

Do I have this correct?

Anything else to keep in mind?

The table above has asterisks that seem to denote a footnote but the web page doesn't appear to have such a footnote. What are the gotchas?

Any suggestions on which monitors to use, particularly monitors that look visually the same even though they may be different in terms of inputs - i.e. monitor one has dual DP, monitor two looks the same but has single DP, monitor three is the same as monitor two or only has HDMI input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WKozu
Beginner

In continuing to do research on this two monitors that would appear to work in the three monitor configuration due to having DP out ports are:

Dell U2417H and Viewsonic VP2468.

Can anyone comment on whether these monitors would work in a three monitor config with an i7-8700 (K or non K) with an Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard connected via DP from mobo to monitor 1 and then daisy chaining from monitor one to monitor two and monitor two to monitor three.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wayner92,

I understand that you are considering to connect 3 monitors to the system with the motherboard specified above.

Regarding that, it will be possible to connect the monitors to the 3 outputs there, HDMI, DVI and Display Port. This configuration will allow you to change the resolutions according to what you would like. Also, the daisy chain is possible, nevertheless, it will not allow you go over 1920x1080 @60Hz.

So in other words, if you want to customize the different resolutions then the best option is to use each one of the video outputs showing on the image you provided.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wayner92,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
WKozu
Beginner

For anyone in the future who needs this - I did get three monitors working properly. My monitors are Viewsonic VP2468s which have DP out and I am using daisy-chaining. I have monitor 1 connected to my motherboard's DP output with a DP to mini-DP cable. I then connect DP out on monitor 1 to mini DP on monitor 2 and DP out on monitor 2 to monitor 3. I had to update the Firmware on my monitors and turn on DP 1.2 and MST on all monitors.

0 Kudos