Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

No HDMI output after Windows 10 resume from S3/S5

alegrigoriev
Beginner

After resume from sleep (S3 hybrid) or hybernate (S5) the monitor (Samsung 4K 40" TV) is blank, showing "no signal" screen, not simply blank screen. The monitor is run in 4K display mode over HDMI.

The problem almost always happens after sleep long enough, usually overnight.

NO unusual events in the event log at the time of resume.

The problem doesn't seem to happen on the first (few?) sleep transitions after fresh boot.

The video always recovers if the box is put to sleep again, and awaken up immediately.

Power-cycling the monitor doesn't have an effect on the problem.

While the video is in non-functioning state, the rest of system is OK. I could unlock it and enter the command to go back to hibernation (powercfg /h).

The problem has been happening for long time, and is still happening on a fresh installation of Windows 10 version 2004 with the inbox driver.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

alegrigoriev, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

At some point, was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Are you using adapters or converters or this is an HDMI straight connection?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
alegrigoriev
Beginner

Albert,

This is NUC7i3BNH box.

The problem existed for long time. There might've been time when it was less likely to occur. I just got sufficiently annoyed with it enough to report, and also made an effort to investigate its repro conditions.

I remember a few years ago there's been a problem with HDMI audio not enumerating after sleep (it required some Device Manager dance to recover), and then after one update it's got fixed. I wonder if the problem in question was introduced at that time.

I thought that BIOS and HDMI FW update might have helped, but the problem is still present with the most recent FW.

Given that the problem occurs after long sleep time, and the graphics consistently recover after going back for minimal system sleep time, I suspect one of the drivers in the display tree leaves a kernel timer not canceled upon transition to sleep, which then fires immediately on wakeup.

SSU log attached.

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

alegrigoriev, Thank you very much for providing those details.

I sent you an email confirming private information, please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
alegrigoriev
Beginner

I realized that Windows 10 inbox driver is build 7790. I downloaded and installed the latest driver from intel.com build 8681 and am testing it right now.

0 Kudos
alegrigoriev
Beginner

The driver build 8681 exhibits the same behavior.

First one or two times it exits S3/S5 after long (over 1 hour) sleep successfully, then the problem can be reproduced after long sleep. I don't know if the problem depends on system uptime, rather than on number of sleep/wakeup cycles, though. I see the problem today after the box having the second overnight sleep, so there's that.

I was unable to download the driver build 8682 from the support ticket page because of access issues.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi alegrigoriev,

Can I kindly ask you to test two drivers:

Driver: Version: 26.20.100.8141 --> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29530/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers this driver is known for fixing similar issues.

Driver: Version: 27.20.100.8853 --> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29957/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers Latest Graphics DCH version.

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi alegrigoriev,

Do you have any update by any chance?

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
alegrigoriev
Beginner

I've been running the driver build 8853 for a few days, and it still exhibits the problem. Do you want me to downgrade it to 8141 and try that build?

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi alegrigoriev,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, please try downgrading to driver version 8141.

Driver: Version: 26.20.100.8141 --> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29530/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers this driver is known for fixing similar issues.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

alegrigoriev, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello alegrigoriev, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello alegrigoriev, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos