Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20894 Discussions

No display after waking pc from sleep

forestation
Novice

Since about a week ago I get no display on my monitor after I wake my pc from sleep. I noticed that there does seem to be a split second when my monitor seems to wake up momentarily, as indicated by its flashing on/off LED, but the screen stays black, and then i get the "No signal. Please check your connection." message on screen.

I have an AMD Ryzen 7900 CPU, ASRock motherboard and an Intel Arc A380 graphics card. All Windows and Intel drovers are up to date, as is my Bios. I am using the AMD Chipset Driver dated 2023-07-26 from ASRock. The AMD website has a later version dated 2023--11-02, but I don't think that's causing the problem?

The weird thing is I have not updated my bios or drivers in the last 3 weeks, so I don't know what might have caused the issue to suddenly pop up. I did have a somewhat similar issue previously where if my monitor had gone to sleep for a while but my cpu was still awake, then when I wake up my monitor I would get some flickering and the monitor would go black again for a couple seconds before coming back on, and this would repeat perhaps four or five times until the display stablizes.

Thanks for looking into it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
forestation
Novice

As I said I find this forum to be unhelpful so I posted the issue in IGCIT and am getting help there, which is what I suggest other users do if they have a technical problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
forestation
Novice

Forgot to mention one other curious thing that may or may not be related:

I use MPC-BE as my main video player, with the "MPC Video Renderer" as my selected renderer. Around the same time that I started getting the black screen upon waking from sleep, I also started getting a ~2 second black screen before and after every video I play in MPC-BE. The problem seems to go away if I change the renderer to "Enhanced Video Renderer."

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello forestation,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I understand the issue that you are having with your Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics, it is waking up after sleep, I will be glad to assist you.  

I want to let you know that while we progress during this thread we will know if the MPC-BE player issue is related to this one, in case it is not, I will recommend opening another thread related to that issue to keep this one organized.

To understand the situation in a better way, please answer the following questions: 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
forestation
Novice

In answer to your questions:

1. Graphics card: ASRock Challenger Arc A380

2. Monitor: LG 34UM88C-P

3. Connection: Displayport

4. I've send the requested log file via DM

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello forestation,

Thank you for your response, and for all the information provided.

I noticed on the file you provided me that your system is not up to date, please follow the steps below and let me know the results:

• Clean install the graphics driver to version 31.0.101.4952 with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), this driver was released last week, For guidance, How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver.
  • Update BIOS to version 1.30.AS05. For installation steps, you can contact ASRock.
  • Update Windows to version 23H2, this version was released last week. For update steps, contact Microsoft.
  • Test graphics card with another monitor or TV.
  • Test another port of the graphics card, the HDMI for example.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
forestation
Novice

I clean-installed version 31.0.101.4952 of the Intel Arc driver as you instructed.

I did not update my BIOS or Windows to the versions you indicated because the former is a beta release and the latter is new and still rolling out (and we know new Windows updates are notorious for bugs). There's nothing in the BIOS or Windows Update release notes that indicate they would be relevant to my problem.

I still got the black screen when I woke my pc.

I then tested my monitor (and cable) by unplugging it from my Arc 380 and plugging it directly into the Displayport output of my Ryzen 7900's iGPU. I get a working display. Switching the cable back to my Arc 380 and I still get a black screen.

This eliminates the monitor and cable as the source of the problem and suggests that the issue is either with my Arc 380 card or the driver. For some reason the card seems unable to wake up from sleep.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello forestation,

Thank you for your answer and all the information provided, that help a lot.

I will start with an investigation to provide you with the next steps, as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello forestation,

Thank you for your time.

I have been working on the investigation and now I have some questions and suggestions:

• Is the issue present since day one or were there any changes that caused the issue?
  • Just to make sure, are you using a DP to DP connection or are there any adapter docking stations?
  • I understand that you do not want to update Windows to the new versions because new Windows updates are notorious for bugs, I've seen many compatibility issues fixed by updating the OS so please update it to make sure this is not the issue.
  • Can you get the VBIOS version of the card to ensure it has the latest one?
  • If the issue persists, attach the report for the following tools to learn more software information related to the graphics card:
  1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
    1. Search "Dxdiag.exe" and run it.
    2. After the scan is complete, click the Save All Information button. This will save the graphics settings of your computer through a text file (.txt).

Keep me informed of the results.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
forestation
Novice
I stated in my first post that the issue only started happening a few weeks ago.

Based on our interaction so far I don't think you'll be able to help me. I'm going to submit a big report to the IGCIT GitHub instead
0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello forestation,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that you want to have this issue fixed as soon as possible, for that reason it is important to answer the previous questions and follow the recommended steps, if you want to continue, we will be more than glad to do it.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello forestation,

I would like to know if you would like to continue with this thread, if so remember to answer the previous questions.

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
forestation
Novice

As I said I find this forum to be unhelpful so I posted the issue in IGCIT and am getting help there, which is what I suggest other users do if they have a technical problem.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello forestation,

Since you are receiving support via a different channel we will proceed to close this as per your request. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

We appreciate all your comments, and I want to let you know that we also will be more than happy to help you in case you need it.

Best regards, 

Andres P. 

0 Kudos