Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20645 Discussions

Ongoing issues with Intel Arc Drivers -- system instability, auto rollbacks, etc.

kmharring
Novice

Previously I had posted (see this thread) that I was unable to install the previous WQHL certified Arc Series driver (version 31.0.101.5333), but I marked the issue as solved once version 31.0.101.5379 came out last week and I was able to install that without issue. However, within a day or so of installing that update, my computer would somehow manage to automaticallly roll back the driver to the last windows update version from November (31.0.101.4953). It would do this despite the fact that I had used the DDU in safe mode to remove the old driver, and despite having turned off automatic driver updates. So I have no idea how these rollbacks are even possible. 

I would stick with the old .4953 version of the driver but it often causes system crashes (or complete freezeout) when I am working in Adobe video and graphics editing programs. That said, it's not as if the latest versions of the driver (.5379 and .5382) have not had their problems either. I noticed on several occasions while those were installed that the screen would black out for a second or so, accompanied by the Windows' "device disconnect" alert sound. 

I really wish Intel would figure out what the heck is going wrong with the various versions of the Arc driver released over the past few months. As you can see from the messages I linked to above, I am not the only one reporting these problems. Numerous people using different brands, models and types of computer (laptop and desktop) have reported similar issues. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, kmharring.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

It appears you're encountering a vexing situation where your Intel Arc Graphics Driver is persistently reverting to a previous version, despite your efforts to maintain the latest update. You're not alone in this; numerous users have faced similar issues with their drivers not staying updated. Although recent updates have resolved some concerns, the problem persists in various forms. Having the most current drivers is essential for peak performance, but stability is equally important, particularly when using resource-intensive software such as Adobe's video and graphic editing tools.

I'd like to point you to an Intel article/link titled "Windows* Update Keeps Rolling Back Graphics Driver to a Previous Version," which offers guidance on preventing and correcting the issue of the graphics driver reverting to an older version. By the way, before you begin, ensure that your operating system is a standard release version rather than a Microsoft Insider program build. This procedure/article will need to be followed again after a major Windows OS installation; for example, when upgrading from Windows 11 21H2 to 22H2.

Moreover, Windows* automatic updates may contain important security updates or important stability improvements. Disabling automatic updates will not install these updates.

Best Regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

kmharring
Novice

Thanks, Von. I found that article you were referring to a few days ago after I made this post, and I followed the instructions to do the update without a clean installation, and that seems to have done the trick for now. It hasn't rolled back since then and I haven't had the screen flashing black (with accompanying device disconnect sound). That said, it's still not perfect. I've noticed some minor glitches like a slight flickering when I open new browser tabs. But that's about it so far. 

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, kmharring.

It's great to hear that the update without a clean installation seems to have resolved the screen flashing and device disconnect sound issue for now. However, I understand that you're still encountering minor glitches, such as slight flickering when opening new browser tabs. I conducted a search for potential solutions and came across this article/link, "Black and Flickering Screen with Intel® Arc™ Graphics Drivers," which may offer some assistance in resolving the issue.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Von M.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos