Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

OpenGL geometry shader freezes driver (Intel HD 4000)

SSzen
Beginner

Using a geometry shader to render lines causes the driver to freeze the computer.

Source code can be found here: https://github.com/asylum2010/Asylum_Tutorials asylum2010/Asylum_Tutorials · GitHub

Repro: build and run the project titled "23_MultiThreading" -> driver freezes. After a while it resets.

The shader is loaded at framework/drawingitem.cpp:59.

If I replace that string with 0 (so the geometry shader doesn't get loaded), then the program works fine.

If I load the geometry shader but I don't use it, then the program still works() !

(note: ignore the fact that I use multithreading, it has nothing to do with it !)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Asylum

I am checking with our OGL developers and will post updates on this thread.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Asylum

We have identified this as a driver issue and currently are working to resolve it. Please watch this thread for updates.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
kinoa
Beginner

i have a question robert do you know when the next intel 4000 driver comes out because all the intel graphics card such as intel 4200,4400,4600,5000,5100,5500,6000,6100 got there an update but do you know if intel is planning on fixing intel control panel doesn't work with direct x games here's a picture of my game when i enable anisotropic filtering on intel control panel

0 Kudos
CZalo
Beginner

Actually, NVIDIA GPUs have some bugs with DirectX Minecraft right now too. I wouldn't blame the hardware for whatever shit code resides in this version of minecraft.

0 Kudos
kinoa
Beginner

is not just minecraft is every game. that has this issue

0 Kudos
CZalo
Beginner

Little do you know that geometry shaders aren't supported by Intel's driver. Heck, not even the full OpenGL 3.3 feature set is completed. Trivial functions such as glTexStorage are missing. And if you want to do compute shaders.... time to take a look at DirectCompute, because that's what's supported.

0 Kudos