Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20896 Discussions

PC constantly freezes, changing drivers seems to expand intervals

JSmit58
Beginner

Hello,

As the title says, for the last 6 months I've had issues with my PC freezing (more like crashing actually, with the screen having graphical glitches), and recently, it seems that drivers affect on how long the intervals happen. 4380 and below range from 3 to 6 days, while the beta one, 15.40.20.4404, expands it to 2 weeks. Worth noting the freeze seems to happen roughly at the same time every X days, so not sure what to think of it, like it tries to do something and fails.

This might mean it's related to drivers, but not sure why I have it and (most) others don't.

I also have one other issue, but it might be related to the motherboard instead, namely, the PC won't boot until I leave it be for around 2 hours (the Pc is on, but black screen and no response from the mouse/keyboard).

I use i5 6600 with HD 530 and have an Asus z170m-plus board.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JSmit58
Beginner

Ah, forgot to write the question.

In short, I wanted to ask if this is indeed related to drivers, since I'm not sure where to look for problems, let alone solutions. Seeing how some people had similar issues, I thought it might be related.

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

Please verify that you don't have an overheating issue with one of your components, namely your CPU; also check the fans, remove dust from the case etc.

Furthermore make sure your RAM modules are firmly seated in their sockets (remove and reinstall them).

If these measures don't solve the issue, check if an update for your board's BIOS is available, and if so, update it.

0 Kudos
JSmit58
Beginner

Sadly, hasn't been a BIOS update for a while now.

Also, given I pretty much do the same thing every day, I don't think it's a heat issue if it hold over two weeks (and I ran torture test for over 48 hours, which bumped the heat up, nothing happened), the temps are around 30 when idle, around 40 when gaming, around 70 during tests.

Reinstalled RAM several times, even tried using it one stick at a time in all slots, sill froze.

Worth noting that before the latest BIOS, changing settings in the BIOS (such as C states, RAM timings, speedstep...) changed how often the freeze happened, now the only thing that affects it is the intel drivers.

Also, it seems that the last freeze, which happened today might have finished my PC off, it's been 6 hours and it still won't boot, I might have luck in the morning though. Just to mention, during this "won't boot" state, clearing BIOS doesn't work, but once it boots, the BIOS reset kicks in, leaving me with a time gap in the BIOS clock. Saying it won't POST might be more accurate then won't boot though, seeing how the fans and lights all work, just nothing happens.

I have a feeling it will end up being more then one thing that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi Otakon7,

Try removing any component from your motherboard (RAM, hard drive, video card etc) and unplug the power supply then remove the battery from your motherboard for a few minutes and then plug one item at a time to find out if one of those is causing any problem.

Verify the KB and optical mouse LEDs are on, if they are not turning on after some time, the unit is not posting. If they get lit, the unit is posting.

If you turn on the system and you get LED green light on your monitor it indicates it has sufficient power and is getting a video signal.

An amber light appears if the monitor has power but it is not getting a video signal from the computer. This indicates the problem is most likely in the computer.

If the light does not turn on at all, it is likely a problem with the monitor itself or you can try different cable from the system to the monitor.

Did this system worked fine at some point? If yes, did you add new hardware to your system? If you add new hardware, try removing that component and see if the system starts without it.

Verify that the PSU has sufficient Watts to handle the components integrated.

Check for any physical damage on the components.

Check for bent/broken connectors, leaking/bulged capacitors, burned marks.

Check for fan activity, no fan activity may indicate:

The board is not initializing.

Power header damaged

Fan header damaged

Check for beep codes without memory. 1-3 beep codes may indicate memory problems but it depends on your motherboard manufacturer.

Check different memory slots and different memory modules.

If you try all this troubleshooting and there is a not positive result you have a hardware issue, at that point I suggest contacting your motherboard manufacturer for more assistance.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
JSmit58
Beginner

During this "bootless" state, I tried removing everything (including the CMOS battery once, which I've max hold it out for 30 minutes when I tried to dissipate the power) aside from the CPU and tried using single RAM sticks at all slots one by one, the screen was still "no signal" (plugged the monitor roughly 30 seconds after turning the PC on).

Anyway, the mouse lits up (but can't really tell if it's responding), the keyboard lights up when I turn the Pc on, then the lights go off, but stuff like caps lock don't react. The monitor is on, but it displays the "no signal" message, and if I leave the PC alone, the monitor goes to standby. If I unplug the monitor, it does say to check cables. I did try several different monitors and cables, no change.

And no, I've had this issue since the day I bought the PC (well, technically, 5 days after I bought it, since the problem occurs every X days).

PSU has enough power, though it could be my PC is too low in consuption (I have a XFX 550W TS and my consuption should be lower then 100W) .

As for damage, I personally have no knowledge how to check the damage, all looks normal at the very least. I will have to specifically ask for a damage check at the repair shop.

Fans do in fact spin (the CPU and the PSU one, don't have any other). Sadly, I lack a way to hear beep codes, not sure if my motherboard has way to install the audio device.

But yes, at this point, I need to contact somebody in charge, sadly, in my country you cannot deal with manufacturers directly, but via the shop where you bought the parts. Proving to them that the parts are faulty is the problem, since the PC completed the tests, and the problem didn't occur while it was with them (considering it can take up to two weeks for it to happen, they kinda don't have the nerves to deal with it). Will try to be persistant.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

What is the RAM model that you're using?

Do you have your system installed inside the chassis? If yes, try the system out of the chassis to avoid any grounding.

Also, I suggest checking the ASUS manual for instructions how to set up your system.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/qsguide/E10959_MB_Pin_Definition_en.pdf?_ga=1.17903038.6840782.1462204176 http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/qsguide/E10959_MB_Pin_Definition_en.pdf?_ga=1.17903038.6840782.1462204176

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

0 Kudos
JSmit58
Beginner

HyperX Savage 2400mhz, it's not on the QVL but given buying new RAM to test would cost me the same as taking the PC to the shop, I was planing to let them test it out. Worth noting I ran 24 hours of Memtest86+ and I ran HCI Memtest to 1400%, all went well.

I will leave the breadboarding and overall diagnosis to the shop, they didn't test those last time since they couldn't replicate the problem (aka, we didn't leave the PC work for longer then a week, making it seem like all was ok), and testing each component seperately showed no issues.

I plan to take the PC over to them one of these days so will report the end results, though it might take a week or two if not more.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

That will be great!

Please keep us posted I will really appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
JSmit58
Beginner

Hello,

Just wanted to say my PC came back.

They replaced the motherboard (same board, Z170m-PLUS), it was with them for a week after the replacement, nothing happened there, but now I will see if the problem will continue after another week, since the max interval was 2 weeks.

Will report the end results.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Otakon7, I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
JSmit58
Beginner

Well, it's been a bit over two weeks, and it's been extra 5 days after they replaced the board.

No freeze like before happened yet, but there was one second of freeze where the audio "dragged" itself, but then everything continued normally. Now this one second freeze did happened exactly two weeks after I got it back, which might have been the same freeze as before, but it seems like my new motherboard handles it better so I don't need to hard reset.

The drivers are in fact newer then I had before, so that might have helped a bit as well.

Well, guess I'll have to wait another two weeks just to be sure, but things look promising.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the update; I hope you can have a better experience with the unit from now on.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos