Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Possible problem with UHD 630

RHood1
Novice

Spec:-
H310M S2V 2.0 (1.0) mainboard (BIOS 13a) 
Intel UHD graphics 630 (using driver on CD and latest from Gigabyte's website 27.20.100.8280)
Core i9-9900
Win 10 64-bit 1909
16GB RAM (Crucial CT16G4DFD8266.16FJ1)

System was freezing so performed a fresh, clean installation of Windows 10. Still getting random freezes resulting in the need for hard power off. Often freezes as I resize a window.

Reproducible on different hard disks and also using Kingston RAM. All RAM modules used are stated as being compatible by Kingston/Crucial. Memtest diagnostics reveal no problems with any of the modules.

Installed a discrete graphics card and system has been stable for nearly two days.

Any known driver or hardware compatibility problems likely to be causing this?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
RHood1
Novice

As with the low res test, it is probable, though not certain, that the fault does not manifest with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter at 1920x1080.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

This is a very interesting situation. I am starting to suspect the issue might be with the video output itself. Can you test with a straight DP or HDMI connection? (i.e. no KVM switch, docking, adapters).

Let me elaborate my hypothesis: Intel stopped making VGA natively supported starting with 6th gen processors, hence if the system comes with VGA an LSPCON or similar form of converter (digital-to-analog) is in place, therefore introducing a new potential failure point. Anyway I recognize it is an unlikely scenario, but I seriously doubt we have a driver issue here, otherwise the Community will be flooded with people reporting freezes when they resize the windows.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

The mainboard only has DVI and VGA (no DP and no HDMI).

To summarise previous posts...

The problem occurs with

1. DVI or VGA (on my bench and with different cables at my customer's site)

2. KVM or no KVM (i.e. direct cable)

3. Any of three Intel drivers (original and latest from Gigabyte and the latest from Intel)

4. Kingston or Crucial memory (not mixed)

5. My customer's original installation (to an SSD) and my clean Windows installation (to a spinning drive)

The problem does not appear to occur with

1. A resolution lower than 1920x1080

2. Microsoft Basic driver at 1920x1080

3. A brand new nVidia (GT710) discrete card at 1920x1080

4. An older, second hand discrete card (I forget the chipset but the max res was less than 1920x1080)

Stress testers and the Intel CPU tool fail to trigger the problem (double digit repetitions).

The intel CPU tool has failed to find an error (double digit repetitions).

How many i9/H310 chipset combinations do you think are "out there"?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thanks for the quick reply!

I can't really tell how many H310M + Core i9 are out there, yet motherboards with this chipset are available since 2018 and the Core i9-9900 has been around since 2019, so I would think someone else has tried this configuration. If someone else is reading this thread we could use your feedback 🙂 Otherwise, I'm sure Gigabyte had this combination when they validated and confirmed its compatibility.

If the issue is triggered specifically with this configuration, I would suggest reporting this to Gigabyte so they can validate and debug the issue using the exact same motherboard + CPU model. I don't have access to an H310M motherboard at the moment, and with this pandemic I'm not sure how much time it would take me to get access to one.

Alternately, would it be possible for you to test with a different processor model?

I apologize if I'm not being too helpful here.

Ronald M. 

0 Kudos
RHood1
Novice

RAM configurations that exhibit freezing are...

1. Two 16GB Kingston

2. A single 16GB Kingston

3. A single 16Gb Crucial

I don't have the money to spend on a new i9 (even assuming that I can find one). Stock of boxed core i3/5/7/9 CPUs in UK distribution has been poor for over a year (and poor is probably being too generous). I've already purchased a 16GB Crucial stick, a discrete graphics card and a more powerful PSU for diagnostic purposes. I don't mind that too much because I will almost certainly get the opportunity to sell them on, but that is not true of an i9. For my place in the eco system even selling on an i7 is rare.

Gigabyte seemingly don't really want to offer much beyond trying a more powerful PSU, which I have done but the system still freezes.

The question about H310 and i9 was rhetorical argument. I was kind of suggesting that the instances of a budget mainboard with a top rated CPU are few and far between. My customer did not want RAID or gaming capability or any other advanced mainboard features, but was insistent on 32GB and an i9 due to the myriad of software that they want to run. Research was done before buying that the mainboard and CPU were supposed to be compatible.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RHood1,

Thank you for the update. Please allow us to look into this behavior.

In the meantime, is there any chance you can check the health of the memory modules and test one module at the time?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RHood1,

Based on the information provided on this thread, our recommendation is that you report this behavior to Gigabyte so they can validate and debug the issue using the exact same motherboard + CPU model.

If possible, you may also try another motherboard.

We consider this thread closed, but we appreciate your feedback.

If you need any further assistance with other issues or inquiries, please post a new question. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos