Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Problem updating wireless driver

stephencurry30
Beginner

Have an Intel Pro 2200bg wireless card. When I check the driver version it shows 9.0.4.33 and is date 2/08/2007. I've repeatedly downloaded/installed version 12.4.0.0 dated 4/9/2009 from the Intel site. After running the download a message comes up saying it was installed. However, when I check the driver version it still shows up as 9.0.4.33 (and yes, I have rebooted). I've done this several times with the same results. Does anyone know what's going on?

Also, I have a few questions:

1. Where does the driver actually reside (path name)?

2. What is the name of the driver?

Another question, I have two laptops both have 802.11g cards. The speed test on my other laptop is 12 - 18 Mbps. The speed test on this laptop is 5 - 6 Mbps. Any thoughts as to the speed difference?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What you are missing is that Intel's packages contain drivers for multiple hardware adapters. When a package is released, drivers that did not need to be modified will remain the same. Thus, it is possible to see the package version number increasing but a particular driver's version number remaining the same. Bottom line, you are being successful in your package install; it just isn't providing a new driver for your module.

You are asking technical questions about a part that was EOL in ~2010 and Discontinued completely in ~2013. Frankly, there is no one here who can answer these questions. You can wait for an answer from Intel Customer Support, but I am sure that their answer will be no answer.

...S

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello stephencurry30

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued". https://ark.intel.com/ 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Regards,  

David G  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos