Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Problem with Intel HD Graphics: The edges of the display are cut off when I connect to my TV via HDMI & the driver software does not support scaling. How can I fix this?

MPayn10
Beginner

For several years I've been using a Windows 7 laptop connected via HDMI to an old Sony Bravia TV. It was great; you just plugged the HDMI cable in and it just worked! Sadly my Win 7 laptop has died and now I'm trying to replace it with a Windows 10 laptop that uses an Intel HD Graphics 5500 graphics chip, but it cuts off the edges of the display making it unusable for practical purposes.

The TV does not allow any adjustment on the HDMI display and so there is no 'overscan' option, no 'fit width' etc or anything else. This means that a TV solution is not possible.

After searching for a solution it appears that the user interface of the graphics driver should allow scaling using horizontal and vertical adjustment bars, but these bars do not appear in my version of the software. I've tried downloading the latest version of the driver, both automatically and manually (via 'have disk') but to no avail. I've tried installing older versions just in case the adjustment bars have been removed in later versions. But again I've had no joy.

Other issues: Even though it correctly identifies the TV as a Sony Bravia, I don't think it has the correct refresh rate because there is a lot of flicker that also makes it unusable.

As a work-around, I can connect to the TV with a PC VGA cable. This avoids the flicker and instead of spilling over the edges of the screen there are some narrow black borders at the left and right sides. Unlike HDMI, the sound does not go through to the TV. This is a work-around but not an ideal solution. I want the ability to plug my laptop into any TV via HDMI and for it to work as expected.

I've spend days on this. Why could my old Win 7 machine work so seamlessly whilst this newer machine seems incapable of fitting the screen correctly no matter what I do? Please can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

I would like to get more information about your system to check for possible recommendations/fixes to your display issues:

1. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 
  2. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 
  3. Please attach the document to the next post. 

1. Please provide the TV specific model.
  2. Have you tried using different HDMI cables?
  3. Have you checked with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of the TV if there is a firmware update that needs to be performed or would help to fix the issue?
  4. Since you mentioned that the issue does not happen with the other laptop running Windows* 7, could you provide the details of that laptop to compare? (Laptop model, processor, and graphics adapter).
  5. Have you checked if the flickering issue happens inside the BIOS configuration screen? (To access the BIOS check with the motherboard/laptop manufacturer).

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

Many thanks for getting back to me. I have run the Intel® System Support Utility; please find the scan results attached.

The TV is an old Sony Bravia, Model No. KDL-32U2000.

I have tried other HDMI cables but the result is always the same.

I have not checked with Sony to see if there is a fix for the TV because I know that the TV worked fine with my old PC. Also I have an old Samsung TV (with a large plasma screen) that has the same problem, and so it is not just a Sony problem.

The old Sony Bravia TV used to be the family TV in the living room. We upgraded to a more modern Sony Bravia (with inbuilt Internet services etc.) whereupon I used the old TV for a computer monitor.

When I connect my Windows 10 PC to the new Sony Bravia TV the edges are not cut off. It fits the screen perfectly. This gives me the impression that older TV models are no longer supported by Intel's Windows 10 driver software. I suspect that if I reformatted my hard drive and installed Windows 7 & associated drivers then I would no longer have a problem with my old TVs. But this would be a bit drastic and so I would prefer to just get hold of driver software that would work. Is there any way that I could force Windows 10 to use a Windows 7 version of your driver software?

My old Win 7 laptop was an Acer Aspire 5551 Model No. NEW75. Since it is now dead, I can't be sure about what graphics chip it used, but I don't think it was Intel; if my memory serves I think the manufacturer's name started with an 'R'.

I've not tried getting the BIOS menu up as I have many things open that I'm currently working on and so I don't want to reboot if possible. Also I'm not sure exactly how to get into the BIOS menu. I'd rather not change BIOS settings if an old driver will fix the problem.

It works fine when connected via a PC VGA cable, except that the resolution is really low and there are black borders at the left and right of the screen. But there is no flickering and I can work OK. However I sometimes need to do screen captures and recordings at high resolution for which the PC VGA resolution is simply not good enough. And so I really would like to fix the driver software if at all possible.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

Thank you for the information provided.

I was able to check on the system report that you have the driver version 20.19.15.4835, and looking on the website of the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) I was not able to find that specific driver, so I am thinking that Windows* automatically installed that driver version.

In this case, my advice would be to test with the latest driver version provided by your OEM (20.19.15.4474) and see if the issue persists. Here is the link where I was able to find the drivers for your Lenovo* G50-80:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-80/80e5/downloads

Another option would be to test with our generic drivers, even though they are not customized for your computer, it could help to solve the issue. Please visit the following link to download the 15.40.42.5063 driver released on 3/19/2019:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210

For both installations I would recommend you to follow these steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

Note: In case you don't see the Intel® HD Graphics driver from Apps&Features, please follow the instructions to uninstall it from the device manager.

I also found on the manual of the TV that there are some options for PC Adjustment. Have you tried those options to check if by any chance the issue is corrected? Page 18.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/2682/26823314M.pdf

Regarding your question to see if there could be a way to force the Windows* 7 driver to be installed into a Windows* 10 operating system, I would like to mention that we specifically customize the driver for the graphics adapter and its operating system. Hence, this change could affect your OS and graphics performance so you might want to contact Microsoft* to check if they would provide you any recommendation.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

Many thanks for the digging you have done, it is appreciated.

Sadly I have previously tried both the drivers you suggested (as well as a few others). This is my whole problem. Maybe I've not previously tested them properly but I feel quite confident that I did.

Do you have any driver software for my system that you know definitely, definitely will work with old displays (including my old Sony) or that will definitely, definitely allow scaling using horizontal and vertical adjustment bars? If you can point me to a driver that you know should do one or both of these things, then I'll try it and if it still doesn't appear to be working I'll do another SSU scan so that you can check that I have the correct driver installed.

The TV settings for PC Adjustment only apply to the (low resolution) PC VGA input. They are nothing at all to do with HDMI. My problem is that I can't get the HDMI input to fit the screen properly. These settings do not apply to the HDMI screen.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

Thank you for the response.

In this case, for the Intel® HD Graphics 5500 graphics adapter, the downloads that we have available are the downloads provided in this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210

I would like to have:

Your Intel® HD Graphics report (while having the TV connected trough HDMI):

1. Open Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel by pressing the CtrlAlt, and F12 keys simultaneously. Or, right-click the Windows* Desktop, and then click Graphics Properties.
  2. Click Options and Support.
  3. Click Information Center.
  4. Click the Save option on the lower right-hand corner, then select a location to save the .txt file.
  5. You can send the .txt file to Intel Customer Support staff when reporting an issue with your Intel® Graphics Controller.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

I would like to know if you checked my previous post and if you need further assistance?

If so, please provide me with the information requested.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

I'm a bit confused. I've created the file, but how exactly do you want me to send it to you? You said "You can send the .txt file to Intel Customer Support staff when reporting an issue", does this mean that I shouldn't post it here (maybe it contains GDPR sensitive data)? Do you have an email address for me to send it to?

Many thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

I am sorry about the confusion. I meant to post the information here, this does not contain sensitive/personal information. It will contain only the information about your graphics set up.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

Fair enough - please find the file attached.

Many thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

I checked the report and I was able to see that these are the resolutions supported by your TV:

640 x 480 (60p Hz)

720 x 480 (60p Hz)

720 x 480 (60i Hz)

720 x 576 (50p Hz)

720 x 576 (50i Hz)

1280 x 720 (60p Hz)

1280 x 720 (50p Hz)

1920 x 1080 (50i Hz)

1920 x 1080 (60i Hz)

I would recommend you to test by changing the resolution, applying the changes and then check if the scaling options are available. Since the black borders can be fixed changing the Aspect Ratio.

Another recommendation that I can provide you would be to test with other monitors/TVs and check if the issue of the black border persists or if the scaling options are available. This troubleshooting could point to customizations that the laptop manufacturer has applied to the graphics options for your specific laptop model, it wouldn't be related to the graphics adapter or the operating system.

We offer to other manufacturers our products and our generic drivers, however, the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) will customize the product and drivers settings according to their needs.

Note: Before performing any change, please remember to Select the Display (TV) and not the Built-In display.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

On the HDMI screen there are only two resolutions available (see screenshot attached), none of which can be scaled.

As I've said before, I've tested with other TV's and the problem only appears to occur with old TVs.

The problem is not black borders, it is that the computer output is too big for the screen; it overflows, so the edges of the display are outside the visible area of the screen.

Can you ask for a software fix to correct the problem?

EDIT: I've just realised that since you said "This troubleshooting could point to customizations that the laptop manufacturer has applied to the graphics options for your specific laptop model" ... it could mean its a lost cause. Why would Lenovo cripple my graphics? What purpose would it serve?

Many thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

After doing more research about the issue that you are experiencing and comparing the information with the setups and with the information that you have provided, I was able to check that the difference could be related to the auto-adjustments of the Aspect Ratio on the TVs. Since newer TVs would have some features to auto-adjust the Aspect Ratio and probably older TVs don't, or are not enabled by default.

I was also able to check on the screenshot that you don't have the option Customize Aspect Ratio on the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel, so I checked on the TV Manual to check if you can manually adjust it and I found the following:

On page 12: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/2682/26823314M.pdf

Where it says "To change the screen mode manually to suit the broadcast." I would recommend you to test manually selecting each of the modes available there, applying the changes and see if any of them would make the screen to fit properly on your TV.

Also for the flickering issue, I would recommend you to make sure that for the resolution of 1920 x 1080, the refresh rate selected on the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel is 60i Hz.

Regarding your question about if I can ask for a software fix to correct the problem, we will be glad to do further research. However, it is worth noting that, based on the description of the problem, this seems to be a configuration issue on the external TV.

As well, what I meant with the customizations of the OEM, is that they adjust the hardware and software according to the computer needs (Such as power saving/consumption, built-in display features, graphics ports, etc). So they modify the driver adding and removing features, but not necessarily to affect you directly.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

You said "I was also able to check on the screenshot that you don't have the option Customize Aspect Ratio on the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel".

Why is this? Is it that the Intel HD Graphics 5500 graphics chip is so low spec that it does not have the capability to perform scaling?

Then you said "so I checked on the TV Manual to check if you can manually adjust it" and later you said "we will be glad to do further research. However, it is worth noting that, based on the description of the problem, this seems to be a configuration issue on the external TV."

Now I feel we are going around in circles. In my original post I said "The TV does not allow any adjustment on the HDMI display and so there is no 'overscan' option, no 'fit width' etc or anything else. This means that a TV solution is not possible."

Please be assured that I very much appreciate all the time and effort you are devoting to solving my problem, but there is not a solution in the TV manual. Yes it is possible to change the aspect ratio in digital TV mode, but not in HDMI mode. This TV does not allow any aspect ratio change at all in HDMI mode. It is not possible.

I have two old TVs from different big name manufacturers (Sony & Samsung) that both have this same issue. They could both be used as big monitors for my old Windows 7 laptop by simply connecting the HDMI cable. It was that simple. Yes I appreciate that time has moved on and newer devices (like a Win 10 PC) might no longer be compatible with older devices (like my old TVs), and so I accept that a Windows 10 machine might not work as expected with old TVs, but all I need is a scaling feature so that I can have a workaround solution for my HDMI connectivity.

Please ignore the flickering issue. I suspect that whilst I was experimenting with lots of different version of driver software, one or more might have reverted to a default 50 Hz refresh rate instead of 60. So I think this might have caused the flicker that I observed.

Perhaps you could ask one of your technical experts to take a look at this thread because they might have encountered similar issue before and they might be able to shed some light on the problem within seconds.

All I need to know is should my hardware be capable of scaling or not, and if it should be capable, then where can I get hold of software that will provide me with this functionality?

You said "what I meant with the customizations of the OEM, is that they adjust the hardware and software according to the computer needs".

My worry here is that the Intel graphics chip would normally be capable of scaling but that Lenovo have, for some reason, crippled the PC so that scaling is no longer possible.

The Intel Graphics Properties user interface does not even display the sliders for me to adjust the scaling. And so I presume that your software will be doing something like checking the returned value from some system API call and it will decide to not provide the sliders based on the returned value. In other words, your software is detecting a condition that means that manual scaling is not allowed. Please can I have some technical info on exactly what the issue is so that I can go to Lenovo and complain about it with some proper technical info to back up my argument, many thanks?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MPayn10

Thank you for the inside provided, could you try using the system in safe mode and testing the external display to see if you have the same behavior?

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

I'd prefer not to do this test for a week or two because I have a lot of things open that I am currently working on.

Also, I don't understand what this will prove. Won't it just demonstrate the default position of my Windows 10 settings regarding overscan? If, as I suspect, it is still too big for the screen then what will that prove? Will it explain why the Intel driver software does not show the scaling options?

I will be super-shocked if it somehow fits the screen properly in safe mode, but if it somehow does then what will this prove?

I have just performed some support for a customer with some of my software (I have developed software for many decades). I produced what I call a 'debug' version of my software that displayed lots of relevant system information at various point during execution. From this information I was able to identify the problem as being a permissions issue on a certain directory. The issue is now fixed. In the early stages of this thread I was asked to run software that provides useful system information to you, however, none of this information has allowed you to identify the problem. It now feels like we are clutching at straws.

Is there a known compatibility problem regarding overscan with newer computers and older TVs? Should my graphic chip be able to scale-down the display? If so, what are the scenarios that would prevent the scaling options from appearing?

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

I would like to know if you have tried to boot into safe mode to see if the issue persists?

If the issue does appear while in safe mode this might be related more to a hardware limitation no a software (driver limitation).

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

If the issue persists even in safe mode (where the default Microsoft* Display adapter is loaded), then it will point to a hardware issue or OEM customization, where the scaling options that we have discussed have been removed. It would not point to a software problem since the issue is persisting even with the drivers provided by Microsoft*.

In our reports, I was not able to find a known issue of compatibility within the newer Intel® Graphics adapters/drivers and older TV's where these options should be available according to Intel manufacturing, but I can not tell if your specific laptop has customization made by the manufacturer where these options are not available with your TV's.

Our products are sold to other OEMs such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. They are able to customize the drivers according to the computer needs (power settings, display settings, interfaces supported, operating system, etc).

In this case, I would recommend you to get in touch with your OEM in order to know if they have further recommendations on this inquiry.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

0 Kudos
MPayn10
Beginner

Hi Abigail,

I decided to try some internet searches to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. It is difficult to know what to search for because there is no obvious collection of words that people might use to describe this problem.

When I tried searching for:

windows 10 hdmi not fit tv screen

I found a lot of results where people were discussing this issue. And so it does appear to be a widespread problem that has affected lots of people with lots of different computers from lots of different manufactures.

Indeed, when I included the word 'upgrade' in my search it was easy to find lots of cases where the HDMI out was fine before the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 but was problematic afterwards. This strongly suggests that it is not a hardware issue. So I would be going down a blind alley if I took my complaint to my laptop manufacturer.

I expect that if I could turn my laptop into a dual boot machine with Windows 7 and Windows 10, then I expect that the HDMI output would be fine when the machine is running Windows 7.

And so it appears to me that the main culprit is Microsoft. People have found all sorts of different solutions that may or may not work for any given configuration. These include changing various TV settings, unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable, getting the latest drivers, reverting to a previous restore point and so on.

Even though the fault lies mainly with Microsoft, the people without Intel graphics chips appear to be able to find a workaround through their driver software. This appears to be much more difficult for people with Intel software.

There have even been several YouTube videos made about the problem. Here is one called 'Fix Intel HD Graphics Scaling Issue on TV Screen' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKh96pE-NwE

Many people complain about how many hours of their time have been wasted trying to fix this issue. The hours I have wasted on this must now run into several days if not weeks! From everything I have read so far I am convinced that the problem was caused by Microsoft and that if I had anything other than an Intel graphic chip then I would have been able to find a work-around via the driver software.

From our conversation in this thread it appears to me that Intel does not wish to improve its software so that its users would have a similar solution to those provided by other graphics chip manufacturers. Instead the focus appears to be on trying to find a TV setting that might help. There is no such setting on my TV and if even if there was then I would have to try to solve the problem all over again if I switched to a different TV.

Can you confirm that Intel has no intention to update its software to address this issue? This is all that I need to know.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @MPayn10​  

I would like to step in and offer a bit more information.

First I would like to address why you do not have the 'sliders' for custom aspect ratios.

The most likely reason is that your laptop manufacturer Original Equipment Manufacturer owns the hardware implementation, and as such may have gone with a design that bounds the single display scaler available to the laptop's internal (built-in) screen. In principle, the display scaler could be used for Overscan compensation on HDMI. It would made sense to bind the scaler to the internal display because that's the panel that is "always there." So it provides clean support for most local usage models. Most Intel's graphics controllers ship with 1 display scaler per display pipe, so it would be interesting to confirm with Lenovo if on the laptop you have they went with the single display scaler implementation (as evidence seems to suggest). If this is the case, then there won't be any way to get the custom scaling option.

As for why Overscan is only occurring on old TVs connected via HDMI: I believe this has to do with the internal scaler on each TV that may be set on a 'fixed' setting, which in turn conflicts with the video output sent by the laptop (1920x1080@60i). Most newer TVs don't have a fixed scaler setting and rather allows the user to select it based on use scenario (e.g. Fit image, zoom, center). The final layer to consider is the Operating System, which also adds Scaling of its own. I think Abigail's suggestion on testing with Windows default drivers (i.e. 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') may help us shed some light on this issue.

I wish I could provide an actual solution, but I know the chances of Intel's development team adding a work around to this issue in a future driver is close to none, primarily since it is observed only on old TVs.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

Thank you for the information that you have provided.

I'm just looking at the video that you have shared that the solution applied was to use the scaling options on the TV, I recall that you have mentioned that this option does not work on your current set up, and also that you don't have this issue when using a new TV, we are still waiting for the output if you test the system in safe mode to check if the issue persists.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

0 Kudos