Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Problem with third monitor

JLR
Beginner

I have a Lenovo thinkpad e580. It has a UHD 620 adaptor.

I have for about 6 months successfully used a J5Create JUD380 USB dock that has an VGA and HDMI output to use two Acer external monitors.

Here is the problem: If I have one external monitor connected to the VGA, it works. If I have one connected to the HDMI, it works. But if I connect the second external monitor, both have a "no signal" on the screens. And neither is detected by Windows. And this happens whichever monitor I have up and working first--any sequence. Moreover, I tried connecting the HDMI directly to my laptop's HDMI and I get the same problem. It works until i plug in the dock and second monitor but then it loses signal. Because of this I do not think the problem is with the dock.

I have restarted several times. I have updated the drivers. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the display adapter.

FWIW, here is how the problem first manifested. I was using my normal laptop + 2 monitor setup. I wanted to use just my monitor display so I removed the dock from the USB port. When I plugged it back in, this problem presented.

I'd appreciate any help!  Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JLR, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Based on all the details you have presented, there could be different reasons why this issue is happening.

The problem could be related to a Windows* update, keep in mind that Windows* does updates approximately every 6 months. Also could be a problem with the docking station itself or that now there is not enough bandwidth to support this configuration.

Justo confirm if you connect the HDMI monitor directly to the laptop's HDMI port without using the docking station, is the problem the same?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JLR
Beginner

Thanks Albert.

If I connect ONLY the HDMI from the laptop port to a monitor, that monitor works fine. But when I then connect the docking station to the laptop's USB, not only does the monitor connected to the dock not come on, the one that was just working--the laptop HDMI connected one--goes blank with a "no signal" message.

The identical sequence of events happens if I start with only the dock-USB monitor connected. It works fine until I connect the other external monitor (either to the laptop's HDMI or to the HDMI outlet in the dock). At that point, I lose them both.

As you say, it is as if I suddenly can't support three displays--which I had been doing since about April with zero problem.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JLR, You are very welcome, thank you very much for clarifying those details.

We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

Even though you mentioned that you already installed the latest Graphics drivers, I looked on Lenovo's web site and the driver they have available is version 26.20.100.7926, please try a clean installation of that driver:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e580-type-20ks-20kt/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Display%20and%20Video%20Graphics

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

If the problem persists, since the computer works with the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 controller, we can try to install Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8587:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29808/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126789

I can see on Lenovo's web site that there are also AMD drivers available for your computer, do you know if the laptop is working with a hybrid graphics configuration? When using hybrid graphics configuration the graphics functionality will depend on the hardware and Operating System, but also it will include customizations done by the OEM in this case Lenovo that will enable/disable some features in the laptop.

So, if the problem persists after installing the Graphics drivers above, we recommend to get in contact directly with Lenovo to check if in fact the laptop is using hybrid graphics and to gather the instructions of how to do a BIOS update to the latest version which is 1.44:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello JLR, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello JLR, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos