Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Problems with Iris Xe Graphics Driver

Daiv05
Novice

Hello,
For a while now I have been having problems with the Iris Xe graphics driver.
It all started when I mistakenly installed a version of the driver for Intel Arc devices. This laptop has an Intel I7-1165g7 processor, and on Intel® DSA's recommendation I installed version: 31.0.101.3490 for Intel® Arc™ A series graphics (yes, I know, big mistake).
At first it worked fine, and I even tried some Intel Arc Control settings, but on reboot the errors started.

1- Here is the message to run as administrator

img1.jpg

2- When I open CMD, it goes crazy.

video1.mp4

3- The lock screen when turning on, appears totally black.

4- When opening the Intel Graphics Command Center, the text does not appear (as in item 1-).

So I went back to the previous version, which at that time had this one: DCH Drivers 31.0.101.3430, from here:
https://www.intel.es/content/www/es/es/download/19344/746999/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html
But still the errors did not go away. I tried to do a clean install manually and it didn't work.
Today, I tried to make a clean install with this version: 31.0.101.3790, from here:
https://www.intel.es/content/www/es/es/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html
And nothing, still the same problems. This has not happened to me in previous driver versions.
It only works fine with the version that Windows Update installs by default: 27.20.100.8435.

I have no problem using that version, but I would still like to see if this problem can be solved.

Attached is the information provided by SSU:

info_ssu.txt

Laptop: Acer Swift 3 SF314-59

1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Daiv05, I Just received an update on this matter.

In this case, we tried to replicate the issue in our Intel® labs but did not get the same outcome, we were not able to replicate the problem. From our side, we can confirm there is not a bug like this reported on our database, and the drivers don't seem to be the issue.

You mentioned that his issue doesn't occur with the OEM drivers and that you have no problems installing them, so we recommend those, especially for a laptop since they were tested, validated, and customized by the manufacturer of the computer. 

If you must install the latest generic drivers, then the next thing we recommend to try is a clean installation of the Operating System to discard a corruption in the OS side with the Intel® generic drivers.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Daiv05

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that the system works fine using the driver version 27.20.100.8435 provided by Windows Update but the issue persists with the latest Intel® generic DCH graphics drivers.

It is worth mentioning that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM). OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. In this case, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver using the OEM driver from Acer* to discard driver-related issues.

Therefore, we recommend performing a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using the latest graphics driver version 27.20.100.8935. Please let us know the outcome of the steps.

Also, so we can understand better the scenario, in case the system works fine with the ACER* OEM driver but you still want to install the Intel® generic drivers, please let us know if there is any particular reason why you are interested in using these drivers. For instance, do you have any other issues with the ACER* OEM driver that is not present with the generic drivers?

Note:

Regarding the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) tool offering to install a driver version meant for Intel® Arc™ Graphics Cards when there is no Intel Arc Graphics Card installed is a cosmetic error from Intel® DSA.

Starting with driver 31.0.101.3430, the installation package supports integrated graphics on 11th and 12th generation systems along with Intel® Arc™ Graphics Cards. The driver can still be installed and should support these devices. For more details, please refer to this article "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) Offering Intel® Arc™ Drivers For a System With Integrated Graphics".

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daiv05

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Daiv05
Novice

Hi,
As instructed, I performed the clean install with driver version 27.20.100.8935, and the computer worked perfectly.

And about your question:
I don't recall having any problems with the OEM driver, I just had always been accustomed to using the latest available version of the generic drivers and had never had any failures. So I wanted to know if there was a bug with the latest versions or was it because of some other kind of problem peculiar to my laptop.

In any case, I have no problem with using the OEM driver.

Note:
- After that I tried to perform the same steps to install version 31.0.101.3790, and the errors continued, so I did the steps again with the previous version.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daiv05

Thank you for your response and for the details regarding the tests with the driver clean installations.

Please allow us to look into this and we will be posting back in the thread once more information is available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Daiv05, I Just received an update on this matter.

In this case, we tried to replicate the issue in our Intel® labs but did not get the same outcome, we were not able to replicate the problem. From our side, we can confirm there is not a bug like this reported on our database, and the drivers don't seem to be the issue.

You mentioned that his issue doesn't occur with the OEM drivers and that you have no problems installing them, so we recommend those, especially for a laptop since they were tested, validated, and customized by the manufacturer of the computer. 

If you must install the latest generic drivers, then the next thing we recommend to try is a clean installation of the Operating System to discard a corruption in the OS side with the Intel® generic drivers.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Daiv05, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Daiv05, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
burself25
Beginner

Miguel from Mexico, I bought a Lenovo Yoga 7i last year with this Iris Xe graphics in the USA, kind of similar story as @Daiv05, my computer was working just fine, then I updated automatically with the latest drivers and things started to happen, now my computer did show a black screen. A second monitor was running fine, I even use Ubuntu in the same computer and it was working fine. The issue starts when Windows starts running, black screen. Glad I found this thread and downloaded the Lenovo GVA driver and back to service without issues. 

Just wanted to enrich with my experience and help others with the same issue. 

0 Kudos