Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Quick Sync video support for Windows7 ?

Michael_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

I am just wondering if Windows7 applications like the WindowsMediaCenter can leverage the benefits of the QuickSync video decoding ?

On the Intel Quick Sync web pages there are just SW packages from Arcsoft, Cyberlink, etc. mentioned that utilize these capabilities, but not the WMC.??

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi!

The applications we know can work with Intel Quick Sync Video are located on the following link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html which is probably the link you already checked.

I recommend getting in contact with Microsoft to see if Quick Sync Video can be used in any of their applications or not.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Michael_S_Intel1
Employee

I can do so, but the question is more: Will Intel provide a DXVA2 driver for QuickSync ? which will open this feature for any app that utilizes this interface, which is obviously not the case yet ...

0 Kudos
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi!

We do not have the features that will be included in future versions of the software. You can check the release notes of the application as soon as a new version is being released.

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward the information to the appropriate support group so; they can take it in consideration.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Ariel_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

QuickSync is used automatically by WMC and any other DirectShow or MFT player. This is done via the DXVA2 interface the driver exposes.

The actual component used by WMC are:

Video decode - Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder (ships with windows 7)

Video post process - EVR renderer (Microsoft).

Note that other free decoders can be used:

FFDShow with QuickSync enabled.

LAV Video decoder with QuickSync enabled.

Regards,

Eric Gur

RMitr1
New Contributor I

When using WMC (which uses ms-dtv-dvd) there is heavy corruption for 40s with 1080i50 content.

/thread/30167 http://communities.intel.com/thread/30167

and here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407042/official-ivy-bridge-for-htpcs-thread/120# post_22179241 *Official* Ivy Bridge for HTPCs Thread

Is that something you're looking into?

0 Kudos
Ariel_G_Intel
Employee

I personally don't belong to the driver team.

I develop a decoder based on QuickSync which is used by either ffdshow or LAV filters. Both are usually better alternatives than ms-dtv-dvd. LAV video currently doesn't support full screen WMC, but ffdshow does.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Yes, I know you're the author of QS ffdshow and the appropriate contribution to the LAV suite.

I also have been following the doom9 forums on those two topics for a while.

While that is great work, (Thanks!) for WMC users it doesn't help with live TV, since it is not an alternative there.

Even though WMC is declared dead by MS, it is still the only piece of SW that actually manages to offer live and offline content in a consistant way using only the remote.

I also thought you mentioned some issue with interlaced content but I can't seem to find it anymore. Also, since this corruption is only on the new IB processor I have and not any old one, I thought you might have an idea (or at least know someone from the driver team)...

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Michael_S_Intel1
Employee

Thx, got it.

One last question:

what happens if I plug in an Ivy bridge CPU that covers "Quick Sync" into a motherboard with an Intel chipset that covers "ClearVideo", so I have two DXVA2 video decoder accelerators ?

0 Kudos
Ariel_G_Intel
Employee

Both QuickSync and ClearVideo are features of the GPU which is part of the CPU since SandyBridge. If the GPU is enabled (BIOS, Windows, screen connected to Intel GPU) then these features will work either via DXVA2 or by using the Intel Media SDK.

0 Kudos