Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Re: I think I solve the problem that Intel HD graphics can't output HDMI or DVI signal

idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I have version 4358 installed , and , it works fine .

The problem is that it won't stay loaded.

I have to reinstall it every time I wake the computer up from sleep, hibernate, or power up from a shut down.

Windows 10 starts loading, with it usual logo , a square, displaying using the DVI monitor and a separate VGA monitor ,

then turns off the DVI monitor, but , continues on the VGA monitor.

When it 's done , I just reload the Intel Graphics driver, and , everything is fine.

But, that is a nuisance.

So, it looks like something in Windows 10 isn't playing well with the graphics driver.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Board: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Serial Number: E80-28005600262

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P2.00 07/13/2012

<tr style="border: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style:...
    0 Kudos
    46 Replies
    idata
    Employee

Hi petergmauro,

Intel released a new graphics driver. Please download and keep the current driver in your desktop then, uninstall and delete the current driver from device manager.

Finally, restart the system and install the new graphics driver manually from device manager.

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* (15.33.43.4425)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25977/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-?product=81499 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25977/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-?product=81499

Manual Installation of graphics drivers

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Mike C

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi Mike,

Something looks funny:

My Device Manager properties says I have installed 10.18.10.4425

But, you've listed 15.33.43.4425 as the correct identification.

I have downloaded the file from the link you provided, and , installed , per your instructions.

But, still ,I'm showing " 10.18.10.4425 "

And, I still have the same problem, I need to reload the Graphics driver every time I start from power down , sleep, or hibernate.

Peter

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Hi petergmauro

That's why I don't use windows 10 yet

I don't know if really an windows or driver issue. but I wait till it's close to release the anniversary update as it's more stable.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi petergmauro,

You are already using the latest graphics driver on your computer. The last 4 digits determine the version.

Your system is showing a strange behavior. Please send me the Intel® System Support Utility results. I will create a lab with a similar configuration.

Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600

Mike C
    0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee
    Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Pro(10.0.10586 Build 10586)Physical Memory (Installed):8 GBProcessor :Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHzSystem Type:x64-based PCDisplay Adapter(s):Intel(R) HD Graphics 400010.18.10.4358System Manufacturer:ASRockSystem Model:Z77 Extreme4Network Adapter(s):Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet15.6.1.3Realtek RTL8192CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC2013.12.720.2015Disk(s):ASRock RAM Disk SCSI Disk Device127.74 MB (available)10.0.10586.0ST2000DX001-1CM1641.74 TB (available)10.0.10586.0WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0847.64 GB (available)10.0.10586.0
    0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi petergmauro,

I appreciated your response with the Microsoft system information; however, I need to collect more specific details of your configuration.

Send me the results of Intel® System Support Utility and the graphics control panel report.

Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600

Graphics Report

Open Intel® HD Graphics control panel>Options & Support>Information Center and click save, keep the .txt in your desktop.

Mike C
    0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

I just came here to say that Gosa's answer (# 53) in the old thread solved my problem.

Like all of you, I have had the same problem for 3 years now. HDMI port does not detect my external monitor after a reboot via HDMI to DVI cable. The workarounds on reinstalling drivers, disable/enable works until a reboot/sleep/hibernate. Then I'd have to do it all over again.

I have tried all the drivers from ones from 2012 to 2016. Nope. Bought different cables. Nope. NONE OF IT WORKS!

Then I read Gosa's post and immediately I knew 100% that this is the problem. I did the mod described in his post: http://philtechnicalblog.blogspot.hk/2013/03/fixed-dvi-pin-16-hotplug-dilema.html > Phil's technical blog : Fixed the DVI / pin-16 hotplug dilemma. However, instead of modding the cable, I installed a 1.2k OHM resister (didn't have 1k on hand) on the monitor's control board. There's a lot more room to work with on the monitor's control board and I didn't want to mess up a cable.

After the resister has been soldered on, I connected the monitor cable and heard that magical "device connected" sound. I seriously got goose bumps!

Please note that this isn't for everyone. I work on these things all the time so I am very comfortable doing this mod on the monitor. Intel needs to find a way to adjust the detection voltage or something because quite frankly, I've been following this thread for 3 years and I don't know how I missed his answer before. It was probably me just skipping to the last page hoping for an update. I'm just surprised that no one else tried Gosa's mod.

Perhaps this is a design flaw with the Intel HD series chips? Surely if it isn't hardware, it can be remedy with software but it's been so long, I don't think it's software at all. And admitting it's hardware is impossible since it will result in a recall of hundreds of millions of devices using these chips.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi turbo,

Have you tried using a DVI female to female gender mender , with a 1 K resistor between pin 16 and 14.

That might give an indication , that this fix is going to work , without having to cut cables or open up the monitor case.

What might be nice is a DVI tee, but, I haven't found one .

Peter

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

Hi petergmauro,

I have not try it but technically, it would definitely accomplish the same thing. It doesn't matter if you put the resistor in the cable, an extension cable, a gender changer, or at the monitor circuit board, it will have the same effect.

If you use a female to female connector, you will need to add a male to male connector to change the gender back. But I do believe that would be complicated to install a resistor in one of those unless you can get a pre-made one that you can easily open to get access inside. But I suppose that would be safer then opening a monitor.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi Mike C

Here is the results of the Intel Graphics information report:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Report Date: Sunday, April 24, 2016

Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 2:31:18 PM

Driver Version: 10.18.10.4358

Operating System: Windows* 10 Pro (10.0.10586)

Default Language: English (United States)

Installed DirectX* Version: 12.0

Supported DirectX* Version: 11.0

Shader Version: 5.0

OpenGL* Version: 4.0

OpenCL* Version: 1.2

Physical Memory: 7894 MB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Processor Speed: 3400 MHz

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 0162

Device Revision: 09

* Processor Graphics Information *

Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Video BIOS: 2137.0

Current Resolution: 1920 x 1080

* Devices connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Displays: 1

* Digital Display *

Display Type: Digital

Serial Number: ACR01aa

DDC2 Protocol: Supported

Gamma: 2.2

Connector Type: HDMI

Device Type: Digital Display

Maximum Image Size

Horizontal Size: 18.9 inches

Vertical Size: 10.63 inches

Supported Modes

640 x 480 (60p Hz)

640 x 480 (67p Hz)

720 x 400 (70p Hz)

800 x 600 (56p Hz)

800 x 600 (60p Hz)

1024 x 768 (60p Hz)

1024 x 768 (70p Hz)

1152 x 864 (75p Hz)

1280 x 1024 (75p Hz)

1280 x 1024 (60p Hz)

1280 x 800 (60p Hz)

1440 x 900 (60p Hz)

1920 x 1080 (60p Hz)

Power Management Support

Standby Mode: Supported

Suspend Mode: Supported

Raw EDID:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 04 72 AA 01 C4 DA 00 21

0A 16 01 03 80 30 1B 78 CA 35 85 A6 56 48 9A 24

12 50 54 B3 0D 00 71 4F 81 80 81 00 95 00 D1 C0

01 01 01 01 01 01 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C

45 00 DD 0C 11 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FD 00 38 4C 1F

53 11 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 53

32 31 31 48 4C 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FF

00 4C 50 33 30 44 30 30 32 38 35 31 32 0A 00 CD

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi Turbo,

I just tried to measure 5 volts on pin 14 to pin 15 ground

it's not there, it shows an " open"

So , do I have a mother board problem?

Peter

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

The HDMI/DVI ports do not connect directly to CPU. They have a controller. The controller is on mainboard. If that controller does not work correctly then is mainboard problem.

I have i7 6700k with igpu and I don't have any of those problems.

The subject of this post is not that the monitor is not detected. It is about turning monitor on or off, so I don't think any of that resistor problem applies here. So I think you are out of topic.

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

No. If you go back and read the original thread, you'd quickly realize that this is indeed an Intel problem. This common problem exists on multiple hardware platforms (laptop and desktop), different brands of systems and system boards, different OS (windows and Linux), and on different CPUs. It is virtually impossible to have the exact same problem with so many different hardware, EXCEPT they all have one thing in common: an Intel CPU with HD graphics.

Just because you don't have problems doesn't mean it doesn't exist, as evidence by the 3 year+ thread this continued from. If you look in Google, there are more forums posts elsewhere detailing this exact some problem. And again, if you read the original thread, you would know this IS about monitor detection problem. Also, if you read up on what the resistor does, it basically tells the monitor to "turn on" from standby. Therefore, allowing the computer to detect that there is a monitor plugged in and allow the proper settings to appear (allow multiple desktops etc.)

EDIT ADD: I noticed I made an error here. What the resistor does is ACTIVATE the PIN16 (Hot Plug Detect) by passing a small voltage to PIN16 from PIN14. This tells the OS that there's a monitor connected. I don't know the exact technicality of this obviously but for some reason, the OS does not sense enough voltage from PIN16 without the boost, and therefore thinks there's no monitor connected.

Remember, this problem is SPECIFIC to using HDMI to DVI connection. When I plug it any TV with HDMI, it works fine. I have a 4 year old monitor with VGA and DVI connection and no HDMI. But this is a really nice monitor. 21" Full HD IPS. Won't change it until it breaks!

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Yes, what I was telling you is just because the monitors are turned on by the system that means the mainboard circuits are ok ( that is if the controller isn't doing some funny stuff when 2 monitors are connected), and it's not the case to use that resistor unless you want monitor to be always turned on ...

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

Please go back and read the original thread. The link is on the top of the page. I'm not gonna repeat all 8 pages. You are totally missing the point about this.

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Read what the user said in the post ...

"Windows 10 starts loading, with it usual logo , a square, displaying using the DVI monitor and a separate VGA monitor ,then turns off the DVI monitor, but , continues on the VGA monitor.

When it 's done , I just reload the Intel Graphics driver, and , everything is fine."

So, the monitors are working, and it maybe a driver or windows 10 problem.

What am I missing here ? You think that it needs a resistor to forcefully turn on the DVI monitor ? What if is turning on with that resistor and there is no signal on it ?

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi Turbo and Ronin,

First , thank you for replying to my problem.

I have an ACER monitor with both a VGA and a DVI input.

I also have a separate VGA monitor.

If I connect the VGA output from my motherboard to the separate VGA monitor ,

and the DVI output from the motherboard to the separate DVI monitor ,

then both monitors display the Windows 10 start up screen.

About half way through boot up , the DVI screen goes off, with the message " no signal "

Boot up continues on the VGA monitor , until completion.

The device manger at this point says that only a standard monitor is connected.

Then , I can reload the Intel Graphics Driver 10.18.10.4358,

and, the DVI monitor comes to life, with the correct 1920 X 1080 resolution.

And, the device manager now shows both

generic PnP monitor and S211 Hl monitor ( the acer DVI monitor)

I can repeat the same behavior , using the VGA and DVI input of the ACER monitor .

i. e. one cable to VGA and one cable to DVI

I should also mention that this problem only started when I mistakenly hot plugged a HDMI cable in to the mother board.

Before that, the DVI monitor worked fine.

I think that I may have damaged something , and , it seems to be confirmed by the fact that I don't have 5 volts on pin 14.

Which would maybe fix the whole problem , by just supplying an extra boost to pin 16

So, what we must determine is :

1. How does Windows 10 determine that there is a monitor connected.

2. What is the required voltage on pin 16

Thank you for sharing any information you have about this problem.

Peter

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

And if you have only one monitor connected on the DVI port is that monitor working correctly, or it just shuts down ?

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

After reading your mainboard manual : ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/Z77%20Extreme4.pdf

In Caution Section is stated:

6. You can choose to use two of the three monitors only. D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI monitors cannot be enabled at the same time. Besides, with the DVI-to-HDMI adapter, the DVI-D port can support the same features as HDMI port.

So when you connected HDMI also it may have created a problem maybe in driver.

Connect only one monitor.

Try to uninstall the driver.

After you uninstall Intel Driver use this utility: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.7.5.5

Select Intel at Graphic Driver.

Then click on Clean and DO NOT Restart.

That will remove any leftovers and settings from the old driver.

And then Set Automatic Installation Driver to default. And after that restart.

Then reinstall the latest driver for your igpu from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25977/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-?product=81499 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.33]

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi Ronin,

Yes, I know " only two outputs " from the ASRock mobo.

I wasn't trying to get three outputs, just accidentally plugged in a HDMI cable.

I'm about to try your graphics removal tool ,

I'll let you know what happens.

Peter

0 Kudos