Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Re: I think I solve the problem that Intel HD graphics can't output HDMI or DVI signal

idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I have version 4358 installed , and , it works fine .

The problem is that it won't stay loaded.

I have to reinstall it every time I wake the computer up from sleep, hibernate, or power up from a shut down.

Windows 10 starts loading, with it usual logo , a square, displaying using the DVI monitor and a separate VGA monitor ,

then turns off the DVI monitor, but , continues on the VGA monitor.

When it 's done , I just reload the Intel Graphics driver, and , everything is fine.

But, that is a nuisance.

So, it looks like something in Windows 10 isn't playing well with the graphics driver.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Board: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Serial Number: E80-28005600262

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P2.00 07/13/2012

<tr style="border: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style:...
    0 Kudos
    46 Replies
    idata
    Employee

Hi Turbo,

First , thank you for replying to my problem.

I have an ACER monitor with both a VGA and a DVI input.

I also have a separate VGA monitor.

If I connect the VGA output from my motherboard to the separate VGA monitor ,

and the DVI output from the motherboard to the separate DVI monitor ,

then both monitors display the Windows 10 start up screen.

About half way through boot up , the DVI screen goes off, with the message " no signal "

Boot up continues on the VGA monitor , until completion.

The device manger at this point says that only a standard monitor is connected.

Then , I can reload the Intel Graphics Driver 10.18.10.4358,

and, the DVI monitor comes to life, with the correct 1920 X 1080 resolution.

And, the device manager now shows both

generic PnP monitor and S211 Hl monitor ( the acer DVI monitor)

I should also mention that this problem only started when I mistakenly hot plugged a HDMI cable in to the mother board.

Before that, the DVI monitor worked fine.

I think that I may have damaged something , and , it seems to be confirmed by the fact that I don't have 5 volts on pin 14.

Which would maybe fix the whole problem , by just supplying an extra boost to pin 16

So, what we must determine is :

1. How does Windows 10 determine that there is a monitor connected.

2. What is the required voltage on pin 16

Thank you for sharing any information you have about this problem.

Peter

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

Hey Peter,

What you said about connecting a HDMI to the port and damaging it is a possibility. But I have done this myself and I still have 5volts to PIN14. But PIN14 is not responsible for windows detecting the monitor. PIN16 does this. PIN14 is used when the monitor enter "stand by." It is labeled "Power for monitor when in standby." Standby is when you set your computer to turn off the screen after a certain amount of time. Although the screen is off, the monitor is still connected and detected in windows. Again, the voltage on your PIN14 may only activate when you've actually plug it into a monitor.

I'm highly confident that if you do the resistor mod, it will fix the problem.

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Hi petergmauro

If you have only DVI monitor and not VGA one, is it working alone ?

And in other OS like windows 7, 8.1 the two monitors behaves the same ?

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

For what it is worth to anyone reading this thread ... what worked for me. I repurposed an old Toshiba Satellite 650 with a core I5-380M processor and Intel HD Graphics. My monitor was a Samsung Syncmaster 206BW with DVI and VGA inputs. After installing Windows 10 the computer would no longer recognize the monitor when using a HDMI to DVI converter cable. The VGA worked fine. I went through the usual steps of downgrading and updating the graphics driver (the last version was 2012 dated). Installed, uninstalled, hot plugged, rebooted etc. Nothing worked as the computer refused to recognize the monitor was even plugged in. I connected to computer to an old Vizio TV I had via HDMI and it would not recognize it either. I hooked it up to a new Samsung TV and to my surprise it immediately worked!

I concluded that Win 10 / Intel was not able to recognize older HDMI versions via hot-plug. I threw the cable in a drawer and ran the computer on VGA for a while. The other day I was in the mood to tinker with it a little so I hooked the old Vizio TV up to the computer and turned the TV on. The computer was powered down and completely off. When I cold booted the computer and logged in, to my surprise it recognized the Visio and was outputting video to it! I then disconnected the Visio TV and connected my Samsung 206BW to it via the HDMI...and IT RECOGNIZED IT. I have been using the monitor via HDMI ever since. The VGA cable is now stored in the drawer.

My theory is that Windows 8.1-10 / Intel is not able to recognize older HDMI versions that were properly being detected in Win 7-8. However some of the HDMI handshaking is built into the hardware of the HDMI controller on the motherboard. If one allows the computer to cold boot such that it initializes all the hardware devices and runs POST and BIOS it can still see the older HDMI connected devices before Windows 10 loads. Once the device is recognized then Win 10 can deal with it.

So if everything else fails at least try this, it worked for me. 1. Power your computer completely down. 2. Connect your HDMI monitor and turn it on. 3. Power up the computer and log in. I know it sounds simple and I am a bit embarrassed I tried solutions for hours and even gave up for a while before I stumbled onto this by accident but at least in my case it was the right answer. I hope it helps someone.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Y700, thank you for your input.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos