Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Re: I think I solve the problem that Intel HD graphics can't output HDMI or DVI signal

idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I have version 4358 installed , and , it works fine .

The problem is that it won't stay loaded.

I have to reinstall it every time I wake the computer up from sleep, hibernate, or power up from a shut down.

Windows 10 starts loading, with it usual logo , a square, displaying using the DVI monitor and a separate VGA monitor ,

then turns off the DVI monitor, but , continues on the VGA monitor.

When it 's done , I just reload the Intel Graphics driver, and , everything is fine.

But, that is a nuisance.

So, it looks like something in Windows 10 isn't playing well with the graphics driver.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Board: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Serial Number: E80-28005600262

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P2.00 07/13/2012

<tr style="border: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style:...
    0 Kudos
    46 Replies
    JTong
    Novice

"So, the monitors are working, and it maybe a driver or windows 10 problem."

No Ronin. Let me give you a short version of what the previous 8 pages are saying. The system will not auto detect the connected monitor via HDMI-DVI. A workaround for this is to reloading the driver by going to Device Manager, and doing a "Update Driver" but manually selecting the exact same driver. When you do this, you will hear the familiar "Device Connected" sound in windows (the sound you hear when you plug in a USB drive for example).

Then if you reboot / sleep / hibernate the system and come back, it will not detect the monitor any more. It is as if someone pull out the HDMI cable from the computer. To fix this, we would reload the driver again. So in the last thread, people were saying it is a drivers issue. This has been going on for 3+ years. All the driver updates until now DO NOT FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Since the resistor mod fix this problem IMMEDIATELY, this leads me to believe it is a detection problem. PIN16 is "Hot Plug Detect." This pretty much tells the computer "hey, I plugged in a monitor." What the mod simply does is active this pin manually (through the mod).

I said I knew this mod would fix it is because it is a detection problem and I was right. The computer somehow does not initiate PIN16 after a reboot / sleep / hibernate. Reloading the driver somehow forces re-detection of PIN16. Again, I don't have the technical aspect of this at all so I'm just guessing.

But what I do know is that before my mod, I, like many others, have tried everything I could find online to fix this for years. After the mod, everything works as it is suppose to.

If you haven't experience this problem. It may be kind of hard for you to comprehend what exactly is going on. As you refused to read the other thread, this makes it even harder because you have no idea what exactly is wrong.

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

I understand what you say, but if u read what petergmauro said is that this issue didn't happen till he connected HDMI cable ... " I wasn't trying to get three outputs, just accidentally plugged in a HDMI cable."

So unless something broke in the hdmi/dvi controller this issue should be a driver one, not to tell you that in manual is saying that the monitor ports can get blocked and the solution is to reset bios. And this makes me think that it can be a bios problem also.

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

Again, in the previous thread, people were mentioning that plugging in a HDMI monitor may have caused this somehow. But why would plugging in a HDMI monitor to a HDMI port ruin something? That doesn't make any sense at all. Like you, everyone that experienced this problem also thinks it's a driver's issue. Intel has been trying to fix this through driver update for years. IT STILL DOES NOT WORK TILL THIS DAY!

I had the exact same problem as Peter, and the exact same workaround it to get it working temporarily, as have many many others in the previous thread. So it's definitely not in a BIOS setting. If you took some time to read the previous thread, people have already tried everything you could think of. They've already spent hours on the phones with tech support.

Again, I don't know the exact reason why reloading the drivers will get the system to detect that a monitor is connected until a reboot / sleep / hibernate. Very strange but one thing is for sure, it is tied to PIN16. Because after 3 years, I have finally found a fix.

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

First of all I don't have any problem on my system. I don't have VGA. I have only: DVI, HDMI and Display Port and on my mainboard they can work all 3 together.

When the drivers are reloaded it resets the controller. If the controller is not broken, after reboot either the bios keeps the setting in which they were before reinstalling the drivers, or when you uninstall the drivers it doesn't delete the settings in windows and after restart it reloads the settings.

Uninstalling the drivers with DDU utility or reinstalling a clean windows that worked with those 2 monitors, should make the system to work as before.

If it doesn't then reset bios. If bios reset is not making the system to work with both monitors then it is a hardware problem on the mainboard, and you can play as long you want with that 1k resistor, your monitor may work again but the hardware defect will not be fixed.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi Turbo,

I can't reply to your email directly, it bounces:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

mailto:webadmin@intel.com webadmin@intel.com

So, it looks like I can only reply via this forum.

Yes, I'll be happy to test your fix.

But, as I said , I don't have 5 volts on pin 14, measured at the motherboard's connector to ground

I'm not sure if pin 16 is a supply or a source .

I'll try to google the handshake between these two devices.

I'm also going to try Ronin's fix.

Peter

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

I send you a PM so I thought you'd be replying via PM, not direct mail. You can try this? Click on my name on any post then click "Message" to send me a PM with your mailing address. It may take some time to get to you since I'm actually in China. Maybe 2 weeks or so.

The source of PIN16 should be from the monitor. Source for PIN14 is from the computer. Frankly, Ronin have no idea what we're dealing with. He has never experienced this problem and is basically giving generic answers that has already been tried in the past without success.

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

I'm starting from the assumption that his mainboard is ok an he has only software problem, and I encountered more strange problems than this as I work in a pc service. It seems that you never had old vga cards that were running on second monitor only when they reached in windows, or that you actually had to go and set them up in display manager for them to work. When a video card shows signal on both displays usually is a driver setting problem. The modification you want to do, is something that you do after you are totally convinced that the DVI output is toasted.

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

It's good that you're trying to help but again, you have no idea what we're dealing with unless you go back and read all 8 pages of the previous post. I'll even link it for you: However, even then, I don't think you'll get the whole scope unless you experience it first hand. This is a very strange and unique problem. I've never seen this problem in my 15 years of IT and PC repair experience. I've spend many hours trying to fix this and couldn't, until now.

You are throwing out generic answers and probable causes. This is not the case. It is very specific. We've all experienced the exact same thing and there has been no fix. People have already spend hours on the phone with manufacture tech support and Intel tech support and countless emails sent. None if which could figure out the solid cause and apply a solid fix; only a workaround which works until you reboot/sleep/hibernate. Whatever you could think of have already been tried. The DVI port is NOT toast. If it were, it wouldn't work after a reload of the drivers. And if somehow it was "toast," then it is definitely a manufacturing flaw with only one component in common: an Intel CPU with HD graphics.

IMO, the reason why Intel have given up on this is because DVI is being phased out. Current consumer level monitors will only have HDMI, display port, and perhaps a VGA connection. Another reason is that there is likely no fix without a hardware mod. And no company will be sane enough to admit a hardware flaw at this level because that would create chaos.

The only way I can see this fix by software is if somehow Intel can tweak the detection voltage of PIN16, or completely change the way a monitor is detected without PIN16 through their drivers.

But again, we're a small group and growing smaller every day. Most have given up on this and simply switch to new monitor and avoid the HDMI to DVI connection. Likely in 1-2 more years, no one will be using DVI any more so this problem will be moot and Intel will never have to worry about it again (as if they are worrying now? )

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Actually Intel fixed 2 problems I had. One was the driver recovery problem and other was a bit more complicated. All you have to do is give them the way to replicate the problem.

I don't think that at CPU/GPU level they work with the voltages of the input/output ports, and they can't set what voltage on pin 16 to be. They can only control the controller to enable or disable pin 16, and if the mainboard manufacturers can use custom controllers, they may not work with the generic intel driver. In that case you need to use the driver provided by mainboard manufacturer which was modified to work with that controller.

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Actually on pin 16 it detects if monitor is connected or not. On pin 16 from your monitor you should have all time 4.5-5V.

On pin 14 from monitor you have 0V.

On pin 14 DVI from mainboard you have +5V.

On pin 16 DVI from mainboard ypou have 0V.

By putting that resistor between 14-16 on monitor, you are making that when you connect monitor to the mainvoard DVI, it takes +5V from the mainboard and puts it back in pin 16 on mainboard.

And that means that you have a monitor problem. The monitor doesn't give on pin 16 the required voltage.

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

"And that means that you have a monitor problem. The monitor doesn't give on pin 16 the required voltage."

Right. Everyone who have this problem with different brand / size / year of monitor all have their PIN16 defective. But hey, switching to a new HDMI input monitor would definitely fix the problem! I guess you can call that a hardware "mod" as well.

Well, get this, I plug the same monitor into a desktop I have here with a dedicated video card with DVI and it fires up no problems (CPU is old E5200). And of course, other people have tried this as well. I mean you'd think that other people wouldn't try something as simple as trying the monitor in another PC? Like I said, everything you could think of someone has already tried. This problem is 4 years old. The other thread started in Feb on 2012. In any case, I'm not gonna reply any more. I'm just repeating what other people have already mentioned in the old thread and elsewhere on other forums.

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

I will tell you something

It is not monitor problem and it is not mainboard problem, it is impedance problem. It's just that the impedance between pin 16 and ground is different on different mainboards, and if you have a lower impedance on your mainboard between 16-ground then you need higher voltage so that when it reaches the controller to have the right voltage to activate the gate and detect the monitor.

It maybe also possible that the monitor/mainboard to have a defect on pin 16 inside and a resistor or a capacitor to be broken.

So the solution is either use that 1k resistor without opening the monitor or open the monitor and fix the actual problem by replacing or modifying the broken/wrong valued component.

To detect if it is a monitor or mainboard/graphic card problem you have to test them on/with other devices.

So everybody has a choice

Thats the end of the "driver problem". Intel has nothing to do with this problem.

Except that in petergmauro's case maybe something else simply because when he is reloading the driver the monitor works...

He must test and see if it is not a driver setting problem.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

" Except that in petergmauro's case maybe something else simply because when he is reloading the driver the monitor works...

He must test and see if it is not a driver setting problem. "

Hi Ronin,

Well, summer's over , and , I'm getting back to work , with the same problem.

I've been fixing the problem every day , just by reloading the Intel driver.

The resistor between pin 14 and 16 did not help, so I'm thinking about your suggestion,

a driver setting .

What could I possibly adjust in the driver that could make a difference?

Peter

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Hi,

You could try the last driver with looots of fixes. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=80939 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Also go to the driver settings and make sure it is enabled to clone or to split desktop on the 2 screens. If it is not enabled, when in windows, it will show nothing on one of the screens.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Ronin,

I just tried to measure +5 volts on pin 14 to pin 15 ,

with the computer and monitor connected,

no voltage at all, looks like an open circuit.

So, where can I get +5 volts from , without opening the computer case?

Can I just supply it externally?

Peter

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Pin 14 +5V Power for monitor when in standby

Pin 15 Ground Return for pin 14 and analog sync

Pin 16 Hot plug detect.

You should measure voltage with monitor disconnected. If you have voltage then the monitor has a problem (monitor cable pins 14-15 or a a capacitor in monitor maybe are in shortcut). Disconnect the cable and measure impedance on pins 14-15 on one end to see if cable is ok. If cable is ok, measure impedance on those pins on dvi monitor port. If you have those pins shorted then monitor has a shortcut inside on those pins (capacitor in shortcut or something).

If it is a shortcut somewhere it is useless to put anywhere a +5V ...

Do those tests and tell me the result.

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Hi Ronin,

I disconnected the monitor, and measured between pin 14 and 15 , 0 volts, looks like an open circuit.

I guess I fried the mother board.

Can I supply an external 5 volts to pin 16 , between pin 15 and 16?

That should make the mother board look like there is a monitor connected, correct?

I know I heard a " snap " when I ( hot ) plugged in an additional HDMI monitor , to the HDMI port.

I think that's when I damaged the motherboard.

Let me know what you think, especially , if you think I can repair the motherboard.

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

Ronin,

I just tried the fix I outlined,

supplying an external 5 volts to pin 16, through a 1000 ohm resistor, ground to pin 15.

IT WORKED !!

The DVI input on my monitor is fired up every time I wake from restart , sleep, or power down.

So, you were correct , the problem was " hot pin detect " pin 16.

And, my problem was more serious, a damaged motherboard.

Peter

0 Kudos
    idata
    Employee

So now, my question is : can I fix it ?

Do you have any experience with fixing :

1. a melted land on a printed circuit board

2. maybe a burnt resistor

Peter

0 Kudos
    CCris2
    New Contributor II

Yes, it maybe a burned resistor, but that didn't burned by itself. thats why I told you to check the cable and monitor pins.

It's good that it worked.

0 Kudos
    JTong
    Novice

Hi Peter, Pin 14 is for Power for Monitor when in Standby according to Wiki. It is possible that that only becomes live when you plug it into a monitor. Mine is live even when my laptop is asleep but it may be different from PC to PC. Have you tried measuring Pin 14 + common ground (any metal on the connector)? Just to make sure, you're taking measurements when the cable is plugged into the computer (not the monitor), right?

0 Kudos