Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Reducing Memory Usage

dxy_tiger
Beginner

Hi,

I have Intel 11-gen i7-1185GRE with Iris Xe Graphics. I found that it takes 3.2G used system memory for Ubuntu 22.04. I would like to find a way to reduce the used memory by disabling something in the BIOS or setting lower limits of memory. Not sure this is feasible. Please guide me some possible solutions, if any.

Thank you,

dxy_tiger

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @dxy_tiger

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

The amount of graphics memory in use is dynamically allocated to balance the needs of the operating system and all running applications, so there is no way to set the default values since they are set by the OS. You can see here more details about this common question: 

Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Graphics Memory on Windows® 10 and Windows 11* 

We recommend you to contact your OS developer and Computer manufacturer to see if there is a way to do it through BIOS settings or commands. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
dxy_tiger
Beginner

Hi Jocelyn,

I am using Ubuntu 22.04.1 version. On our production board, we only have 4G. After Ubuntu 22.04.1 is started, it only left 50M available. 

I disabled some hardware in the BIOS, and reduced some memory settings for GPU, but no use. 

How do I check GPU memory allocations? 

Thank you,

David 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @dxy_tiger 

The graphics memory allocations are automatically set up by the OS. If you have more inquiries about this subject, you need to contact your OS developer. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos