Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Rendering performance difference with new drivers

kartik8n8
Beginner

Hi,

We have a GL based application using OpenGL 2.0 . As part of a performance test, a scenario is a scene that draws 50,000 circles (polygons) at startup. We found on Intel boards (Intel HD 520) with driver 23.20.16.5018 , this test passes as the 50k circles load in less than half a second. The same test starts to take 3 seconds to load with a newer Intel driver 27.20.100.8189

A relevant piece of information is that each circle draw involves -

create a VBO for the polygon, fill the information of the polygon, issue draw call.

In short there are 50k VBOs that are created.

As opposed to one big VBO being created at startup with all the polygons populated in it.

This is because the real use-case of the application involves runtime requests to draw different polygons and this number is not known at the time of starting up.

Questions -

1) Is such a change in performance with driver version an effect of optimizations being done in the driver? This is our general view that came from discussions but would like to get a more pragmatic view.

2) Can these optimizations be turned on/off? 

3)  Do drivers written for OpenGL 2.0 + generally expect one large, single VBO/ or few large VBOs that will have all the information required for drawing scenes and update it only as necessary? Or are drivers are expected to handle small VBOs created for many objects simultaneously and make efficient draws equally well?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Regarding the behavior, you are experiencing, and to better assist you. Can you confirm if it can be replicated with the latest Intel Driver (30.0.101.1994)? Please, perform a clean installation, and let me know the outcome.

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html)

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device.' 

2. In the pop-up window, make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall.' 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers downloaded in step 1. Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kartik8n8
Beginner

Hi,

I'm currently stalled by restrictions because of the vendor setup (see attached). Trying to  figure if there is any workaround. Kindly bear with me. 🙂

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

I understand that the Original Equipment Manufacturer has limited the installation for generic drivers. So, I would like to confirm the environment information; to do so, create a report using the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU)  

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html)

• Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 

• Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 

• To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kartik8n8
Beginner

Thanks for your patience. Here is the ssu information attached for the laptop on which the issue was seen.

Also, I was able to test on another desktop machine with an Intel HD Graphics 530 and driver 30.0.101.1340 .

I'm unable to move to the 1994 version that you suggested, but not sure if this gives a clue.

On this setup, the issue still persists.

0 Kudos
kartik8n8
Beginner

Sharing the file you requested for from the development laptop that I'm using.

Also, if this serves as a clue, I was able to run the same test on a HP desktop machine with Intel Graphics 530 and driver at 30.0.101.1340

The issue still persists for this combination too. 

I'm unable to update the driver to the said 30.0.101.1994 for the desktop as well.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

Thanks for the information provided.

Looking at the SSU file, I noticed that your system is not up to date as multiple features are running old versions. It is recommended to keep your system up to date, so please, try the following:

• Install the latest driver HP developed for your system is 27.20.100.9416. There are two types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each unit. Your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) has limited the option to install generic drivers; however, we can try installing the latest driver available on your OEM website:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-840-g3-notebook-pc/7815294

• The BIOS version installed on your system is 01.14. The latest version available on the OEM website is version 01.55. If you need any information about the BIOS installation process, such as installation steps, you need to contact HP for further support.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-840-g3-notebook-pc/7815294

• Also, the operating system version is outdated. The latest Windows 10 Version available is 19044.

Let me know if the issue persists after your system has been updated.

You also mentioned that the issue persists with a desktop system. Could you confirm that the unit is up to date and provide me with the SSU report for this specific system?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kartik8n8
Beginner

Hi Jean,

I'm a little curious here. If you see the original problem statement, we had an older driver performing better than a comparatively recent driver version. With the 30.0.101.1340, which I suppose is very close to the version you have stated, doesn't that indicate if the feature is still impacted? Does the BIOS and OS versions matter for the problem statement at hand?

I ask this as it will take me some time to come around with the updates done. Kindly bear with me. Even the ssu of the desktop I will be able to share on Monday.

Also, had a chance to test with a NVIDIA GT 730 card where the application performs better. I saw that on the task manager, the GPU cycles start showing very early on when the test starts. With the Intel based board, the application CPU and memory spike up for a long time and later the GPU goes up.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

Regarding your questions, any update, and it doesn't matter if it is a driver, OS, or BIOS, it will include changes that will help us improve performance and/or solve some issues. I understand that the problem seems to be related to the most recent graphics drivers. However, since the BIOS is a vital feature for your system's well-functioning, the OS works alongside the driver. It will be helpful to run their latest version to see the outcome of their latest fixes and features, so we can confirm if they solve your issue.

Thanks for letting me know that you will need some time to update and complete my suggestions. I will be waiting for you to be able to confirm this information with me. If you need more time, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

Let us know if you still need more time to complete the suggestions.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello kartik8n8,

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos