Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Reresh rate disappeared in Graphics Control Center

WouterWW
Beginner

I have several generations HP Elitebooks 850, but since G8 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz) with Windows 11 and Iris(R) Xe Graphics the GCC doesn't show the option to change refresh rate (see picture)

I have a NEC MultiSync PA271W external monitor connected to 2 laptops. On the Display port all works well, but on the DVI input I need to lower the refresh rate to 32 Hz to be able to have 2560x1440 resolution. But that option is gone. With all the other laptops, the refresh rate option is there and then I can add a new combination of 2560x1440x32Hz.

Is there a work-around?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before? If so, when did the issue start happening?
  2. Did the issue occur on Windows* 10?
  3. Are you using any dongles, adapters, or dockings?
  4. Have you tried using another monitor to change the refresh rate?
  5. Have you tried using the drivers provided by HP?
  6. Graphics report, open the Intel® Graphics Command Center (IGCC), in order to get please open IGCC, go to the support tab, select system diagnostic, click "generate report", save the file and attach it to your response. 

Also, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
WouterWW
Beginner

Hi Josue,

It never worked on this laptop, it is new. But it works on 3 other computers. for instance a HP Elitebook 840 G6. Same monitor, same cables, W11 as well, etc.

No no dongels or adapters.

No not tried on other monitors, as I don't have them around.

I've tried driver from HP as well, I keep alternating between HP en Intel drivers with no luck.

2 reports are attached.

I already tried everything and I'm on the verge of buying a new monitor (with multiple modern inputs), but environmental  consiousness keeps me from doing so.

My last hope is here.

Thanks, Wouter

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

Thank you for the information provided, in this case, please try performing a clean installation of the graphics driver and the command center, in order to do this, please follow the next steps:

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded on step 1 Restart the computer. 

8. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Also, please be sure to run the latest inf driver for your monitor. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
WouterWW
Beginner

Hi Josue,

I have already tried that because I read that suggestion in another thread. 

But if you believe that there is a change that by doing it again the problem is solved, i'm more than willing to do so.

Regards, Wouter

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

Thank you for the information provided, we tried to replicate the issue in our lab using a laptop with Iris® Xe Graphics, however, we were not able to do it. 

In this case, the issue seems to be related to the laptop itself, our recommendation is to check with HP to see if the feature is available in their system. It is important for you to know that OEMs can limit the functionalities of their systems which can affect certain applications such as the Intel Graphics Command Center and its options. 

Also, our recommendation is to check with them the compatibility between the laptop and the display since this could be causing an issue when trying to set the desired refresh rate. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
WouterWW
Beginner

Hi Josue,

On all my other laptops an SuperMicro desktop I have the option (in IGCC) to define the refresh rate, besides resolution; see attached screenshot.

With my Elitebook 850 G8 this option is vanished. It is vanished in the Intel Graphics Command Center. I would be surprised if HP can help me with an Intel program.

Cheers, Wouter

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

Thank you for the information provided, it is important for you to know that the options for the IGCC are always available, however, when one of the features doesn't show up, it means that the OEM has limited certain options on the computer. These limitations can impact the functionality of the IGCC and can cause that some options are not displayed on the tool. 

We can perform a lab using a laptop with Xe graphics, however, it will not be the exact same model that you have. In case you would like us to perform the lab, provide me with the steps to try to replicate the issue. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
WouterWW
Beginner

Hi Josue,

OK; I use a HP Elitebook 850 G8 laptop, with a HDMI to DVI cable, hooked up to a NEC Multisync PA271W. All capable of 2560x1440x60Hz.

I know that if I (only) change the laptop with a HP Elitebook 840 G6 that I can use IGCC to add 2560x1440x30Hz which works pretty good.

But on the HP Elitebook 850 G8 in IGCC I dont get the option (to add  2560x1440x30Hz). 

I can't figure out what is different on de newer laptop. My best guess would be that on this latest laptop these old DVI options are just ignored.

If I use the display port on the monitor, I do get 2560x1440x60Hz (on all laptops).

Regards,

Wouter

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

We are currently performing a lab to try to replicate the issue, as soon as we get the results we will post them. 

In the meantime, we noticed that you are using a DVI to HDMI cable, our recommendation is to always use straight connections in order to avoid any possible issues. Please try using a straight connection and check if the options are available on the IGCC.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
WouterWW
Beginner

Hello Josue,

A straight cable is no option because the HP Elitebook 850 G5 only has HDMI and USB-c Thunderbolt as video output and my monitor 2xDVI and 1 DP.

If I use the HDMI->DVI cable on any other laptop, I get 2560x1440x30Hz, so the cable is sort of OK (I still don't understand why I get an error with higher refresh rate then 32Hz, but that is probably the cable bandwith restriction).

When I use the HDMI->DP to connect the Elitebook 850 G8 to my monitor all works fine (@ 2560x1440x60Hz). But I need to connect two laptops to my monitor.

On an old HP Elitebook 840 G3 connected via DP to DVI als works fine @ 2560x1440x30Hz.

Best regards, 

Wouter

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

Thank you for the information provided, we continue trying to replicate the issue, as soon as we get the results we will post them. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello WouterWW,

In this case, the feature for changing the refresh rate under the custom resolutions settings has been removed from the Intel Graphics Center on Gen 11 and above graphics. 

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos