Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Resident Evil 7 crashes at startup (intel Iris Plus G4):

GMasu
Novice

Annotation 2020-04-28 175748.jpgMy Surface Pro 7, (i5 model, 8GB of ram, Ice Lake, Intel Iris Plus G4 integrated graphics) cannot start the game Resident Evil 7: Biohazard"", acquired on Steam. The game consistently crashes on startup with the following error:

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard\re7.exe

"d:\\reengine\\reengine\\gitroot\\runtime\\modules\\render\\os\\renderdevice dx11.cpp" 4915 createComputeShader failed. HRESULT=0x80070057,

the parameter is incorrect."

Notes:

• This happens at all resolutions and every single time.
  • The device firmware/UEFI is updated to the latest version provided by Microsoft.
  • I have tried different versions of the intel graphics drivers, both OEM from Microsoft and intel versions, including the recently released 26.20.100.8141. It makes no difference, the bug happens every time.
  • I could reproduce the problem both on the most recent stable version of Windows 10 , version1908, and on the soon to be released Windows 10, version 2004. I didn't test on older versions of Windows.
  • The demo of Resident Evil 2: Remake crashes in a similar way at startup. However, the demo of the recently released Resident Evil 3 remake has no such problem. Every other game or 3d application works correctly.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Kisen
Beginner

I have tried editing the .ini but it still crashes with the same error.

According to the Steam forums, "createComputeShader" was introduced in DirectX 11.3.

The game seems to work on older Intel iGPUs though.

0 Kudos
GMasu
Novice

Same for me. I believe RE7 does not support Direct X 12, so editing the INI cannot help in this case.

0 Kudos
Dovahkiin
Beginner

I got a GPD Win Max with Intel Iris too. I tried all possible fixes in Resident Evil VII. Nothing worked. I hope Intel can manage to get us some reworked drivers. By the way, Crysis Remastered does have some ugly glitches in the sky. I assume it is drivers related.

0 Kudos
Andresbeni
Beginner
Just bought my new HP Spectre 2020 with i7 and Intel Iris Plus graphics. So disappointing to see that the game isn't working in my brand new laptop...
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi everyone,

Intel is still looking into this issue (internal bug report# 22011529178).

Our preliminary findings have revealed the game engine is handling a particular shader differently with Intel integrated graphics, and at this point we are working together with Capcom to sort it out.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

GMasu
Novice
Hello Ronald! Thank you for sharing the news! I really appreciate you keeping us informed.
0 Kudos
OChab2
Beginner
It is incredible that both Resident Evil 2 remake and 3 remake go well and this one that is older is closing

OChab2_0-1604823770170.png

0 Kudos
Kisen
Beginner

Hi everyone,

Thank you Ronald.

In the meantime, apparently someone released a patch which bypasses the part which crashes the game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/j0mlmo/experience_share_about_re7_on_win_max/

This was confirmed working on the GPD Discord as well.

0 Kudos
Dovahkiin
Beginner

I can confirm that the unofficial launcher works.

Latest drivers 27.20.100.8935 still dont work without unofficial launcher.

0 Kudos
GMasu
Novice
Oh wow! Thanks for posting this and thanks to the original author! It works, Finally! You made my day. 🙂
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I received an update from our driver dev team.

Intel has been working closely with Capcom to address this issue and we have confirmed that with a new game update the issue is resolved (Steam App ID: 418370/Build ID: 6052994). Note: this was confirmed as fixed on the 11th generation mobile platform (codenamed Tiger Lake) but we haven't tested older platform yet.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Krisss
Beginner
Hi RonaldM.
Could you please enlighten me a bit more regarding this update to resolve the game issue with the eleventh generation?

0 Kudos
KennyWu
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

Is there any progress on this issue? I just play Devil May Cry 5 and got the same error, but Im already using the latest driver.

KennyWu_0-1663475259310.png

Set config file to dx11 or dx12 both cause error

KennyWu_2-1663475428010.png

KennyWu_1-1663475336516.png

0 Kudos
Zero3K
Beginner
0 Kudos