Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Samsung CRG9 doesn't wake up on start up and sleep mode with UHD 620 and HDMI

youki01
Beginner

Hi,

I'm working with a Lenovo t580 and it's not working as mentioned and i can only use HDMI.

I've tested it on an other HP Laptop (Radeon) and it's working.

The monitor only wakes up, if i plug the HDMI cable but not, if it's already plugged.

I updated all drivers on my Laptop by Lenovo's System Update software and also tried to uninstall all UHD Drivers and updated it by the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Current version: 27.20.100.8337

It's the 5120 x 1440 model. I had an other model before (CHD9) and this monitor had no problems.

Is there anything i can do to fix it?

Known issue without a solution:

Solved: CRG9 not waking from sleep mode - Page 3 - Samsung Community

0 Kudos
13 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello youki01

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. To investigate, please share with us the  Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results:

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
youki01
Beginner

Hello David, 

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, the Submit function doesn't work and your support site is not reachable in every browser (Message: Hmmm...can't reach this page).

I've uploaded the file, would be great, if you could take a look.

PS, also to Alx24: I don't really understand the statement of you (Alx24) because it's a little bit too technical for me at the moment but for clarification what i've tried, may be it was a little bit messy:

Tested on my Lenovo T580 (UHD 620):

- I connected an other monitor to it and the monitor wakes up on start up and from sleep mode.

- When i connect the HDMI cable of the CRG9 and the T580 is already started and i can see the Windows Desktop, the CRG9 wakes up.

- I tried 3 older UHD drivers and it didn't work.

Tested on my HP Laptop (Radeon):

- I connected the CRG9 to it and the monitor wakes up on start up and from sleep mode.

Side note:
- I used the same HDMI cable and also tried an other cable.

- In the link that i've posted from the Samsung forum, the user also tried the 1007 firmware and it didn't work (i'm still willing to try)

As it looks, it must be something with the UHD driver?!

Regards

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/?model=N0053428

Firmware
UPGRADE FILE(USB TYPE)
Version 1007.2 (English)

4.72 MB
Download

Consult Samsung Support about this display and software update.

There can indeed be persistent issues with Intel Corp graphics adapters and drivers.
In some cases, when the operating system is loaded earlier than the display, the operating system loads, the display screen remains black and HDMI reconnection is required and even this and nothing else sometimes helps and you can use Alt + F4 to close applications and call after this dialog to shut down the computer to do this correctly and press CR.

This is a very difficult part of the work of the Windows system.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/introduction-to-power-management

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/overview-of-wait-wake-operation

Alx24.

0 Kudos
youki01
Beginner

Oh,

That gives me no rest. Of course i have no idea about drivers and monitor signals. But if i think about it as normal user or developer, i assume that the UHD driver sends a specific signal and the monitor manufacturer would probably have to ensure that the monitor responds correctly. That doesn't help now but it won't let me go. 🙄

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

I double-checked and rechecked black screen after OS postloading HDMI connected display power on with the Windows 11 NUC11 and the latest driver. Connecting the display via USB-C to HDMI adapter, USB-C to DisplayPort adapter also does not help. Temporary connection via USB-A to HDMI adapter type j5create JUA354 helps. It's been a long time since I've gotten used to this behavior. Not all made ideal in Intel display control.

The display LED status allows you to determine the state of the display.

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=8287226&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=LC49RG90SSNXZA&VPath=UM/202108/20210824162657906/BN46-00901B-Eng.pdf

"User Manual"

BN46-00901B-Eng.pdf

"Function Key Guide"

Source
Selects to change the input signal by moving the JOG button in the
Function Key Guide screen. A message will appear on the top left corner
of the screen if the input signal has been changed.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01110761/

"Home / Samsung monitor display is blank"

Select the right source.
Most monitors will automatically select the source that is sending a video signal, but sometimes the wrong one will be selected. Other times, you will need to manually select it. You can change the source with the buttons on the monitor or in the on-screen menu. See your user manual for instructions, if needed.

You also have a notebook multi-monitor, multi-adapter configuration with primary and secondary display. Wake-up is on both displays.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
youki01
Beginner

Updated to 1001 (this is the latest version, dated later than 1007) automatically by USB stick and nothing changed.

Will wait a few days, if David replies, otherwise i will send this monitor back, this is unacceptable.

This is a real nightmare and i'll save myself more verbal explanations.

Regards

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

I tested an interesting case of an external laptop monitor. In the case of Lock Screen, the screen of the external monitor after sleep remains black actually until the laptop is unlocked by touching the touchpad or keyboard, activating the main screen of the laptop thanks to this ( if "Make this my main display" checked for screen of laptop ) and entering a password or PIN-code, and after that both screens logically are already active.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
youki01
Beginner

Unfortunately,

no, same result.

Doesn't seem possible to wake up the T580 by builtin touchpad, only by the power button or fn key.

1. Laptop screen as primary monitor:

• If the laptop is started or wakes up from sleep mode, only the laptop screen is started, also after login by pin.

2. CRG9 as primary monitor, not extended:

• If the laptop is started or wakes up from sleep mode, only the laptop screen is started, also after login by pin.

3. Phillips monitor as extended screen:

• If i make the laptop screen as primary monitor, not extended, the phillips monitor falls into sleep mode but wakes up, if i extend the laptop screen. This doesn't happen with the CRG9. It is not displayed/ not even recognized by Windows 10. (We had that before? 😁 I assume it's a Samsung issue, i would contact the Lenovo people but i assume that it makes no sense?!  )

PS:

I initially tested everything with my normal setup:

• USB Keyboard
  • USB Logitech Mouse
0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

If the output is set only to the Samsung CRG9 display in Settings -> System -> Display, then Windows Display Manager will do just that, but, if Display Manager will have any information about the incorrectness of the Samsung CRG9 then for ensuring Windows functioning output will be directed to the laptop display.

Wake up is possible with connected mouse pointer device.

There is "Multiple Displays" "Detect". If ok all information about internal and external display must be displayed ( In Intel Graphics Control Center also ). 

In file: "SystemInformation.txt" there is only single display without display of notebook:

Display Topology: External
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Color Primaries: Red(0.677734,0.310547), Green(0.273438,0.654297), Blue(0.142578,0.056641), White Point(0.312500,0.329102)
Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: C49RG9x
Monitor Id: SAM0F9B
Native Mode: 3840 x 1080(p) (59.968Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: Not Supported

EDID of display must have

DPMS Standby
DPMS Suspend
DPMS Active-Off

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

There is very important  your information above 

"Tested on my HP Laptop (Radeon):

- I connected the CRG9 to it and the monitor wakes up on start up and from sleep mode."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sleep may be disabled for display and there are more display connections ( USB-C to HDMI, USB-C to DisplayPort )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-crg9-dual-qhd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/

Inputs

HDMI

Display Port

Display Port Version

HDMI Version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t580_p52s_ug_en.pdf

Connectors and slots
• Always On USB 3.1 connector Gen 1
• Audio connector
• Ethernet connector
HDMI connector
• Media-card slot
• Nano-SIM-card slot (available on some models, inside the battery compartment)
• Smart-card slot (available on some models)
Two USB-C connectors (one Thunderbolt 3 compatible)
• USB 3.1 connector Gen 1

Using an external display
This section provides instructions on how to connect an external display, choose display modes, and change
display settings.
You can use an external display such as a projector or a monitor to give presentations or to expand your
workspace.
Your computer supports the following video resolution, if the external display also supports that resolution.
Up to 4096 x 2304 pixels / 60 Hz, with an external display connected to the USB-C or USB-C (Thunderbolt
3 compatible) connector
Up to 4096 x 2160 pixels / 30 Hz, with an external display connected to the HDMI connector
For more information about the external display, see the manuals that come with it.
Connecting an external display
You can use either a wired display or a wireless display. The wired display can be connected to a video
connector such as the USB-C connector or HDMI connector by a cable. The wireless display can be added
through the Miracast® function.
Connecting a wired display
Note: When you connect an external monitor, a video interface cable with a ferrite core is required.
1. Connect the external display to an appropriate video connector on your computer, such as the USBC connector or HDMI connector.
36 T580 and P52s User Guide
2. Connect the external display to an electrical outlet.
3. Turn on the external display.
If your computer cannot detect the external display, right-click on the desktop, and then click Screen
resolution/Display settings ➙ Detect.
Do not connect external displays to the USB-C connector 1 and the HDMI connector 2 at the same time.
Otherwise, only the external display connected to the USB-C connector 1 will work by default. To change
the priority between the USB-C connector and the HDMI connector, start the ThinkPad Setup program
(see “Configuring ThinkPad Setup” on page 63), and then configure the Shared Display Priority in
“Config menu” on page 65.
• Connecting a wireless display
Note: To use a wireless display, ensure that both your computer and the external display support the
Miracast feature.
Do one of the following:
– Open the Start menu, and then click Settings ➙ Devices ➙ Bluetooth & other devices ➙ Add
Bluetooth or other device. In the Add a device window, click Wireless display or dock. Then, follow
the instructions on the screen.
– Click the action center icon in the Windows notification area. Click Connect. Select the wireless
display and follow the instructions on the screen.
For more information, see the Windows help information system.
Choosing a display mode
You can display your desktop and apps on the computer display, the external display, or both. To choose
how to display the video output, press the display-mode switching key and then select a display mode
you prefer.
There are four display modes:
• PC screen only: Displays the video output only on your computer screen.
Note: Depending on the situation, you might see Disconnect, PC screen only, Computer only, or
Disconnect projector.
• Duplicate: Displays the same video output on both your computer screen and an external display.
• Extend: Extends the video output from your computer display to an external display. You can drag and
move items between the two displays.
• Second screen only: Shows the video output only on an external display.
Note: Depending on the situation, you might see Projector only or Second screen only.
If you show programs using DirectDraw or Direct3D® in full-screen mode, only the main display shows the
video output.
Chapter 2. Using your computer 37
Changing display settings
You can change the settings for both the computer display and the external display. For example, you can
define which one is the main display and which one is the secondary display. You also can change the
resolution and orientation.
To change display settings, do the following:
1. Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings.
2. Select the display that you want to configure.
3. Change display settings as you want.
Note: If you set a higher resolution for the computer display than the external display, only part of the screen
can be shown on the external display.

BIOS

Display
Boot Display Device
Values: ThinkPad LCD, External Display
Description: Select the display device that you want to activate at boot time. External Display refers to an
external display attached to the USB Type-C connector or HDMI connector on ThinkPad. If multiple
displays are attached, the boot screen appears on the first recognized one.
Shared Display Priority
Values: HDMI, USB Type-C
Description: Select the priority between shared display outputs. The HDMI connector and the rear
DisplayPort of USB Type-C connector share a single display output and the two connectors cannot be
used simultaneously for the external display. This option chooses which connector is prioritized for the
external display.
• Total Graphics Memory
Values: 256 MB, 512 MB
Description: Allocate the total memory which Intel internal graphics shares.
Note: If you select 512 MB, the maximum usable memory might be reduced on the 32–bit operating
system.
Boot Time Extension
Values: Disabled, 1 second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds
Description: During the boot process, the computer might not detect the external monitors that need more
time to get ready. Select how long you want to extend the boot process

ThinkPad_T580_Spec.PDF (lenovo.com)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 620 or Intel UHD Graphics 620 in processor only or
Intel HD Graphics 620 or Intel UHD Graphics 620 in processor and
NVIDIA GeForce MX150, 2GB GDDR5 memory;
supports external digital monitor via HDMI or USB Type-C;
supports three independent displays;
Max resolution: 4096x2304@60Hz (USB Type-C); 4096x2160@30Hz (HDMI)

Smart card reader Optional: Smart card reader
Media reader 4-in-1 reader (MMC, SD, SDHC, SDXC)
Ports
Two USB 3.1 Gen 1 (one Always On),
one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (with the function of Power Delivery and DisplayPort),
one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 / Thunderbolt 3 (with the function of PD and DP),
HDMI 1.4b, Ethernet (RJ-45), nano-SIM card slot (WWAN models),
headphone / microphone combo jack, optional smart card reader,
4-in-1 reader (MMC, SD, SDHC, SDXC), side docking connector, security keyhole
* Depending on many factors, actual data transfer speed may be lower than theoretical speed

Monitor cable
(optional)

HDMI to VGA: Lenovo HDMI to VGA Monitor Adapter
USB-C to DP: Lenovo USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter

Today always is digital HD, UHD 4K TV with HDMI input for testing.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the information youki0. Just for testing, you can try the latest generic driver provided by Intel:

Please have in mind that this driver does not include the customization that Lenovo adds to their drivers so you might experience some issues. If this driver does not work we also recommend the system manufacturer directly for additional steps and recommendations.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
youki01
Beginner

The odyssey continues... i bought a Dell Monitor, SE3223Q and it's not working. I will try a suggestion from the Lenovo support tomorrow but i have no hope.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-300-500-700-Flex-und-Yoga-Notebooks/HDMI-geht-immer-wieder-aus-Monitor-sucht-Signal/m-p/5169137?page=1#5745430

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have issues with this system please contact the manufacturer for additional steps. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos