Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Screen flashing error when playing games

Thai
Beginner

My laptop is MSI Stealth 15m i7 1185G7, 1660ti maxQ.,Screen flashing error when playing games.
game Playerunknown's battlegrounds.
the lowest profile still flashes the screen
I updated windows and intel drivers but it does not work . you can see in 5-6shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0gxugFnC0c 

please help me Thanks all

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Thai
Beginner

HELPPPP MEEE

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Patience, Grasshopper.

The Intel support engineers will be with in turn.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Thai

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following information?

1- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (For instance, Windows®, driver, or game updates?). Do you know if the game works fine using a specific graphics driver version? Please provide details.

3- We understand that the system has discrete graphics (NVIDIA* GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q). Have you conducted tests to rule out that the issue is not coming/related to the discrete graphics? If yes, please provide details.

4- Is this happening with the built-in display and/or on an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI)? Please test using an external display in case you haven't tried yet and let us know the outcome.

5- Have you tried using Intel's recommended settings for this game and CPU? Is the behavior the same? Please provide details.

6- Is the behavior the same if you switch to windowed mode?

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner

hello Andrew G

the system worked well before,but after updating windows the system is not stable

good external monitor connection, only laptop screen flicker.

Now the screen flickers when surfing the web, laptop screen.

i think windows update is faulty

i use geforce experience, tried all settings but still not working

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

Thank you for your response.

We understand that the issue is happening only on the laptop's built-in display and it works fine using external monitors. This might be pointing out an issue specific to the built-in display. However, we would like to recommend a clean install of the graphics driver following these steps in order to discard driver-related issues:

Step 1 - Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 
  • Click the search and type "Windows updates" and click on that option.
  • Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Step 2 - Clean install of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest MSI* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel Graphics Driver version 27.20.100.8439.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager.

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest Intel® generic driver (.exe file) from this link: 

Driver for Intel® Iris Xe Graphics Version: 27.20.100.9466 (Latest).

We also recommend checking with MSI* Support to make sure the system is running the proper and customized driver for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 discrete video card.

If the behavior persists, please provide the following details:

1- A new and complete Intel® SSU report. It seems we just received the short version of the report. However, we would appreciate it if you could provide the full report following all the steps in our previous post, making sure to check the "Everything" checkbox before running the report.

2- Details of the outcome/behavior:

3- Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

4- What web browsers experience the flickering issue? Are they up to date?

5- Do you recall what the exact Windows® update was that could be related to this behavior? Was it a Windows® major update? Or by any chance do you know the KB number or update description?

6- If available, try disabling the Panel Self Refresh setting in the Intel Graphics Command Center by following the steps in How to Enable and Disable Panel Self Refresh.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. If yes, please kindly let us know and provide us with the information requested so we can continue to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner
Hello AndrewG
Thanks AndrewG and Intel team.
After 10 days of struggling with my laptop. I sent it in for warranty. So far there is no information. They kept the laptop for 4 days.
2-3 days if I receive the information I will notify you.
Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

Thank you for your response. Perfect, please feel free to post back any feedback related to the warranty process from your laptop manufacturer.

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. By any chance did you receive any feedback from the warranty process related to your laptop?

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner

Hello AndrewG

I received my laptop yesterday 11/06. They just reinstalled Window, version Version 10.0.1904 Build 19041
I followed your instructions to install the driver: Intel Graphics Driver version 27.20.100.8439.
There is currently no screen flickering.
A new driver version is available, but I haven't updated it yet.
0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner

Screen flickering error when playing PUBG PC. I'm currently downloading the updated graphics driver version 27.20.100.9466....

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

Thank you for your response. We understand that after receiving back the laptop, the error that persists is screen flickering when playing PUBG* PC game and now you are testing with the Intel® generic driver 27.20.100.9466.

Please feel free to share the outcome of the test. If the behavior persists, please provide a new Intel® SSU report and detailed step-by-step instructions so we may try to reproduce this behavior in our lab. You may also share a new video showing the current issue.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner

hello AndrewG :

After updating to the latest driver, the screen flickering error continued to appear. as in the video https://youtu.be/Q-0yyLYSnMI
I reverted to Version
Error frequency is much less. easier to spot while playing the game. it's the same as in the video but less frequent
I can't find a button to turn off Panel Auto-Refresh

I have attached 2 files as per your instructions

Screenshot (1).png

0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner

Hi AndrewG :

i tried reinstalling intel and nvidia drivers. but it doesn't fix the error

https://youtu.be/JvNaMYVVXFA

I just bought my machine in April. No hardware repair.

Hope you find the error and guide me to fix it

Thanks AndrewG

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

Thank you for your response. Please allow us to check this further regarding the flickering issue with the PUBG* PC game and some flickering on the Windows* desktop. As soon as more details are available, we will be posting back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to recommend a test to check the behavior and just to confirm if the issue persists. Could you please try to disable the NVIDIA* video card and test the game with just the Intel® Graphics? Please feel free to report back the outcome.

If the issue persists, the best will be to contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) MSI* Support. This is since you mentioned that the issue is happening only on the laptop's built-in display and it works fine using external monitors so this might be pointing out an issue specific to the built-in display.

Also, if the issue stops when disabling the NVIDIA* video card, our recommendation is also to contact MSI* support to verify if the MSI* customized drivers (OEM drivers) were properly installed, if they may provide more steps to have both cards working properly at the same time or debug this behavior on the specific system.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner
Hello AndrewG
I contacted MSI warranty. After 1 day they checked, updated bios but still got the error. They will replace Main. After the replacement I will notify you.About 1 week to 1 month, I don't know the specific time yet
Thank you so much AndrewG and the Intel team
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

Thank you for your response and for the details. Sure, no problem; we will keep the thread open, and feel free to post back and share any feedback. Just in case, we will be following up in one week. We hope the warranty replacement from MSI* helps with this behavior.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Thai

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you have received the replacement from MSI*. If yes, did this help to solve the screen flashing issue?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Thai
Beginner
Hi AndrewG
sadly not yet replaced. Due to the Covid epidemic, shipping has been delayed. I'm waiting for the company's response
0 Kudos