Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Screen flickering at certain brightness

amyyy
Beginner

Hello,

I have a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15. After I updated the system over the summer, my screen display started flickering like crazy but the weird thing is it only happens when my screen is at/ below certain brightness. Because of that I always have to have the brightness at the highest or have the laptop plugged in. It also bothers me that when it's at the brightest setting you can clearly see the streaks on the screen.

The system is totally up to date and I even downloaded Intel Drive& Support Assistant but NOTHING helped.

Please help me 😞 if nothing works I might send the laptop in at the end of this year but I've seen on threads where people said sending in didn't fix the issue either and I really like this laptop 😕

For more information, my laptop is running on Intel UHD Graphics 620 annd NVIDIA GeForce MX150

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

amyyy, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, when the computer, like in this case, is working with two different Graphics controllers that is what it is called a Dual-Graphics or Hybrid Graphics configuration. 

-For testing purposes, do you have the option to connect an external monitor to the laptop just to confirm if the issue is the same with that component?

-Please provide the Graphics report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

-Also, please try to run any application on your computer, then enter "Task Manager" in the Windows* search bar, select the "Performance" tab and take a screenshot of that window while the application is running for us to be able to verify the usage of iGPU /eG

In those cases, when using a Dual-Graphics configuration the Operating System and the hardware design of the laptop are the ones that define how they will work and which tasks will be performed by each one of them. So, the problem that you are seeing of screen flickering on the computer could be related to the graphics configuration that the laptop is currently using and the next thing to do in this situation will be to get in contact directly with the manufacture of the computer for them to provide further assistance on this matter:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello amyyy, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello amyyy, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
nswartz
Beginner

I am having the same problem. HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15. After waking from sleep, the laptop screen is flickering so bad you cannot read anything. If you lower the brightness below max, it starts flickering as well. Raising to max sometimes fixes it, but sometimes you have to wait for it to fix itself at max brightness.

Only the built-in screen flickers. External monitors never flicker. The unit is 3 years old and only started doing this in the past 6-12 months. I have updated all drivers to the latest.

Also, there are faint vertical bands on the built-in screen. Opening a window shows a light shadow above the window. Not sure that is related.

Attached are Task manager and Graphics settings screens.

0 Kudos
nswartz
Beginner

I tried turning off the Virtualization in the BIOS as suggested in another thread and the BIOS screen was flickering really badly. I was able to turn it off and reboot, but that does not help. Since this is happening in the BIOS setup, it is not a Windows issue.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
That's a correct conclusion. You have a hardware problem. In 'well aged' laptops, problems with the built-in screen often occur as a result of cables going from the base unit up into clamshell being bent or stressed too much or, more likely, too many times. If you have any warranty remaining, I suggest you get this repaired by HP before it gives out completely.
...S
0 Kudos