Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Screen tearing issue with Intel Graphics 4400

dwc7
Beginner

I know I'm probably late to the game with this one, but I have a Surface Pro 3, i5 with Intel HD Graphics 4400, running Windows 10. When I bought the computer it came with slow, outdated graphics drivers that did not include the Intel Graphics control panel. I updated the drivers to the newest (and apparently only) version for my OS, but ever since my screen has flickered with fullscreen applications/games. I have searched online for a solution, some people say it is an issue with the refresh rate or with VSync, but none of the guides I have found have given me any solution to the issue.

One suggestion included turning on Vertical Sync in the graphics control panel, but the only options I have for Vsync are "application settings" or "driver settings", neither of which gets rid of the flickering.

Downgrading my graphics drivers will also not fix the issue, as I need access to the graphics control panel, and the old drivers made software run incredibly slowly.

I​ have had no luck finding any solution thus far. I can provide more info if needed, but if anyone can help me I would be much obliged.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I have a surface pro 3 and it has none of the issues you describe.

Use the driver pack from Microsoft.

Doc

0 Kudos
dwc7
Beginner

I have tried that, it did not work. None of the drivers I have found from Microsoft or Intel have solved the issue.​​

EDIT:

I should clarify, I have tried installing the driver package from Microsoft, but the version of the graphics card driver that they provide is the older version which does not include the Intel Graphics control panel. I need this software to set custom display resolutions for certain programs, and I would like the newest version of the drivers as it makes my 3d software (games, rendering software, etc) run faster. I do not understand why the latest drivers are causing this issue but I am not willing to part with the ability to use advanced graphics settings just to make the flickering stop, I should not have to pick and choose how much functionality I want from my hardware when it is clearly capable of functioning as intended.​

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As I said, my surface pro 3 running W10 pro 1903 has none of these issues.

Doc

0 Kudos
dwc7
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately it does not help my issue.​

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I just reinstalled the latest driver from intel, using the "have disk" method. It installed correctly, and the graphics control panel was there. I tested with netflix. All runs correctly.

Doc

0 Kudos
dwc7
Beginner

That is the process I initially used to update the drivers to the newest version. I didn't try the Netflix app, but certain 3d programs (mostly games) running in fullscreen have this flickering issue. From what I understand, the default refresh rate of the display is 59hz but most of the programs that have this issue run at 60hz by default (vice versa?). This screen tearing issue is not present with older versions of the driver that lack the control panel utility.

0 Kudos