Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Security of Intel Graphics (HD4600) on 4th Gen Core i7 (Braswell)

PVerd2
Beginner

Running on:

• Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, build 18358.1
  • Intel Core i7 4770S (4th generation, aka Braswell)
  • Intel HD 4600 on motherboard (1st display for desktop)
  • nVidia graphics on PCIExpress x16 (2nd display for graphis intensive applications)

The security advisory says that all Graphics drivers should be updated to be at a minimum version.

See

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00189.html

However for Intel HD 4600 (on Intel Core i7 4th Generation [4770S]) the LATEST driver (for Windows 10) listed is:

"Intel® Graphics Driver for Braswell, 4th and 5th generations. (15.40.41.5058)", dated 9/18/2018 (so before the CVE security report, and before the Intel advisory report).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28163/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=80939

Both your reports say that ALL Graphics drivers on iCore processors are affected.

But you instruct users to update with a graphics drivers that is not even available (and is still below the minimum version needed to match the advisory).

So are users of Intel Core processors (i3 to i7) of 4th and 5th generations ("Core iN-4NNN*" or "Core iN-5NNNN*") really immune to these bugs ? If so Intel should review its own advisory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello PVerd2 Thank you for waiting. You can us the driver version 5.40.42.5063 available at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662/ Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PVerd2
Beginner

moved to main thread above

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello PVerd2 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community and for pointing out this details, allow me to look into this and will be posting back as soon as news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's a Haswell processor, BTW. 😜

0 Kudos
PVerd2
Beginner

Yes for my processor, but what I posted was the description of the driver (as seen on the Intel site) that was then available and already installed on my system.

When I asked this question, there was no other driver listed (including by using the "automatic update" to scan my system, it was still that version, at the link I posted.

Now the page at that link displays (only since today) that a newer version is available at the link you gave).

So the advisory was posted, drivers were made according to it, but not all of them were published and made available for download. This is done now, thanks for your attention.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello PVerd2 Thank you for waiting. You can us the driver version 5.40.42.5063 available at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662/ Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PVerd2
Beginner

This driver is now rejected in Windows 10 (won't load at all in Secure UEFI boot, because untrusted use of memory transfers).

I just see the PC OEM logo appearing during boot, and windows starts loading on it, then the "rotating dots" freeze on the screen, and Windows 10 disables the device which is then reported with a problem in the drivers named "igfx.sys" with unauthorized memory accesses.

The windows device manager reports a problem code 48 : contact the manufacturer to get a new driver.

I tried uninstalling that drivers completely, reboot, and then Windows attempts to use a generic VGA software driver, which also fails.

No resources at all (memory maps interrupts, DMA channels...) are given to the device which displays a yellow /!\ sign.

The installation of drivers are still marked successful (result 0), but the drivers are definitely not allowed to load in secure boot and Windows cannot even map basic resources itself for the device.

All I can do to get some display is to plug an addon display board on the PCI express slot, but then I have only one screen available (only one HDMI port and 3 Display ports), which works, but I can no longer plug my TV. The Intel HD4600 is now unusable (except in Bios or in early boot time where there's a basic display, not supported at all in Windows 10 after boot (the display from the Intel board remains frozen with the Gigabyte BIOS logo and a few frozen dots on a black background).

For info here is the content of C:\Intel\Logs\IntelGFXCoin.log

-----------------

>>> 10/01/2019 19:34:04:837 GFX Coinstaller (1.3.25.0) I Getting path to executing DLL... Path to executing dll is: C:\WINDOWS\system32 Attempting to install the Audio Files... Setting CAB file path... CAB path set to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DisplayAudiox64.cab Attempting to extract CAB file... Source = C:\WINDOWS\system32\DisplayAudiox64.cab Destination = C:\WINDOWS\temp\intel-gfx-installer-C3D9886E-5DDF-48BC-AD93-09E28F54964A\DisplayAudio CAB Extraction Successful. Attempting to install INF = C:\WINDOWS\temp\intel-gfx-installer-C3D9886E-5DDF-48BC-AD93-09E28F54964A\DisplayAudio\6.16\IntcDAud.inf Pre-Installing driver... SUCCESS: Driver fully installed Attempting to install INF = C:\WINDOWS\temp\intel-gfx-installer-C3D9886E-5DDF-48BC-AD93-09E28F54964A\DisplayAudio\8.20\IntcDAud.inf Pre-Installing driver... PARTIAL SUCCESS: Driver only pre-installed DriverPackageInstall() result = 0xE000020B Cleaning up extraction folder at: C:\WINDOWS\temp\intel-gfx-installer-C3D9886E-5DDF-48BC-AD93-09E28F54964A\DisplayAudio Successfully installed Audio Files No hash code was found in package path C:\WINDOWS\system32. No Registry entries will be deleted. OS Version: 10.0.18990 Finding Vulkan Loader executable... Vulkan Loader executable not found. Destination not greater: Install Destination not greater: Install Checking version.ini file Opening INI file for OpenCL Found string token 5.2.0.10094 Opening Reg OpenCL key cpu_version for KEY_WOW64_64KEY Setting Reg OpenCL key cpu_version for KEY_WOW64_64KEY Opening Reg OpenCL key cpu_path for KEY_WOW64_64KEY Setting Reg OpenCL key cpu_path for KEY_WOW64_64KEY Opening Reg OpenCL key cpu_version for KEY_WOW64_32KEY Setting Reg OpenCL key cpu_version for KEY_WOW64_32KEY Opening Reg OpenCL key cpu_path for KEY_WOW64_32KEY Setting Reg OpenCL key cpu_path for KEY_WOW64_32KEY Getting path to executing DLL... Path to executing dll is: C:\WINDOWS\system32 Detected active GFX (co)installer; exiting OS Version: 10.0.18990 OS Version: 10.0.18990

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello PVerd2 We are glad to help you, If you have more questions please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos