Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20994 Discussions

Short-Term Optimization Ideas for ARC Graphics Cards in Low Load

White
Beginner
Considering that the frequency of VRAM cannot currently be reduced, lowering power consumption through decreasing VRAM's frequency is not feasible. Therefore, an alternative approach could be to cut off power supply to the VRAM, effectively disabling it and significantly reducing power consumption. Afterward, we can utilize the computer’s system memory, specifically a dedicated portion of the main RAM, as shared GPU memory. This strategy resembles the concept of integrated graphics cards but is limited by the PCIe‘s bandwidth constraints, resulting in lower bandwidth and increased latency compared to dedicated VRAM. However, if the use of shared GPU memory alone cannot meet the computational requirements during low loads, we can also choose to disable a portion of the VRAM to further reduce power consumption. Based on this strategy, we can define two modes for ARC graphics cards: an “Energy Saving” mode when employing the aforementioned integrated-like approach and a “High Performance” mode when utilizing the full VRAM capacity. The mode selection can be determined by Windows’ graphics preferences, allowing Windows to automatically switch between modes based on the application’s requirements while also giving users the ability to manually choose the mode. In summary, in the absence of the ability to reduce the VRAM's frequency, this approach shows promise for optimizing ARC graphics cards’ power consumption during low loads. I hope that together with Intel, we can address the current power consumption issue of ARC graphics cards in low-load scenarios. Lastly, I wish Intel, as the official graphics processor supplier for the 19th Asian Games in Hangzhou, great success, showcasing their impressive performance and exceptional quality during this grand event, providing unparalleled visual experiences and gaming enjoyment for both athletes and spectators alike!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello White,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I see that you are providing some recommendations related to the power consumption of the Intel® Arc™ Graphics.

We appreciate all the comments and feedback for us it is really important to continue improving our products. I have submitted this recommendation ad we will review it.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
Hello, I’m glad to receive your message. Then may I ask if an ARC graphics card can meet low-load computing demands by disabling VRAM and utilizing the system’s dynamically allocated RAM, and how much power consumption reduction can be achieved by adopting this measure?
If significant power reduction is possible, will Intel be researching in this direction, and how long will it take to release new drivers to address the power consumption issue of ARC graphics cards under low-load conditions?
0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello White,

Thank you for your response.

To answer your question and provide you with accurate information I will start with an investigation, as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello White,

Thank you for your time.

I have been working on the investigation, there is a way to change the power settings on Windows by following the steps below:

1. Go to Start > System > Power & Sleep.
  2. Click on Additional power settings.
  3. Select your preferred plan and click on Change plan settings.
  4. Click on Change advanced power settings.
  5. Look for PCI Express.
  6. Click on the '+' sign next to PCI Express to expand the options.
  7. Click on the '+' sign next to Link State Power Management to expand the options.
  8. Select Maximum power savings as the Setting using the drop-down menu.b
  9. Click Apply and then OK

For more information access the article High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card is Idle 

Let me know the results.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
Hello, I’m glad to hear that you are dedicated to resolving the power consumption issue with ARC graphics cards. Based on the methods mentioned in the link you provided, I have made several attempts before but without success. Additionally, I have seen many users on other platforms who have tried the same methods but still couldn’t improve the issue. In order to provide a better user experience for us, I came up with the aforementioned idea. It is crucial for Intel to bypass ASPM and control VRAM activation and deactivation at the driver level. I firmly believe in the feasibility and effectiveness of this approach, and I hope Intel will seriously consider and address this issue as soon as possible.
0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello White,

Thank you for your answer, and for completing the steps.

I appreciate for letting me know that you have tried the previous recommended steps many several times, I will continue with the investigation to check if there is somethin else to do besides changing the Windows settings and wait for feedback I have submitted to be reviewed.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
I hope that Intel can launch the arc graphics card status detection tool to confirm why the arc graphics card cannot enter L1 mode when idle, and also make it easier for us to find out other problems to optimise the arc graphics card.
0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello White,

Thank you for your time.

We understand you have also opened another thread related to this issue with us, so, in this case, will continue to help you through that channel now to keep this issue organized. We will therefore close this community case. Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel, in case that you have further questions, please open a new thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos