Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20841 Discussions

Should I update the graphics drivers available in the Intel assistant?

ElvisKocho
Novice

Hi, i just bought this laptop in Thursday and update all the drivers available in Windows Update and the HP Support Assistant. But in the Intel drivers assistant there is an update for the graphics drivers, in the HP assistant it isn't and also the Intel assistant shows a warning that says:

"Installing this graphics driver from Intel will remove customizations from your computer manufacturer (OEM)"

The drivers are: Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - Windows*

The graphics are: Intel® UHD Graphics

The Processor is: 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 @ 3.00GHz

All this data is from the Intel driver & support tool.

Laptop is a HP Laptop 15-dw3505la

The laptop is original, is validated by the HP assistant, came with FreeDos but where I bought it, I requested Windows 11 to be installed.

Should I update to the drivers the Intel assistant is showing available?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
First of all, if you are using the HP Support Assistant, you typically wouldn't also be using the Intel Support Assistant. In theory, they do the same thing.
As for the graphics driver, since there is the chance that the original graphics driver packages had been customized by HP, as the laptop vendor, you shouldn't be installing the generic graphics driver from Intel. This would wipe out the customizations installed originally.
...S
0 Kudos
ElvisKocho
Novice

Ok, i guess i won't use the Drivers available in the Intel assistant. Thanks.

I'm gotta wait for a few more answer if someone else answers.

0 Kudos
Trospe83
Beginner
Man! I know I'm late but while I'm here doing a research about if I need Lenovo pc software, Intel, plus the peripheral software staff. I'm sure the Intel software manager suggests newest software for it's CPU - GPU.
On an old laptop I received the next gen graphics only after I installed Intel!
Now that I bought a new PC, sane story, UHD latest graphics. So yes!
Maybe it's the only other software I need after Microsoft.
Not sure if the manufacturer offers any more than Microsoft updates and every oc with Intel on its Core it's well, Intel 🙂
Not even the peripheral's software offers me anything more
0 Kudos
ElvisKocho
Novice

Hi, thanks a lot for answering, are you sure, I mean, using GPU Z it says "Intel UHD Graphics" I don't have a dedicated GPU as far as i know, only has that i3 sticker on one side.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @ElvisKocho  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

If I may jump into the conversation, as Mr. Scott mentions, we recommend using the driver software provided by your System Manufacturer to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging.  

For that reason, we recommend you use the driver assistants provided by your System Manufacturer. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant was designed for products manufactured by Intel such as Intel® NUCs, not for third-party systems. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
ElvisKocho
Novice
Ok, then I'll ignore the new driver notification. Thanks to both if you.
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @ElvisKocho  

Sure, I am glad to help you. 

This thread will no longer be monitored, but if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us and submit a new post. 

Have a nice day. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos