Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Since driver 24.20.100.6094 installation fan is running like crazy when lock screen is active

AKrie1
Beginner

Installing driver version driver 24.20.100.6094 did solve /thread/120974 my problem with Tux Racer - see also that thread for my complete system information as requested by Intel support. But since I installed it, I noticed that whenever I lock my Windows 10 screen, a few seconds later the fan on my Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon X1 5th Generation laptop starts running, obviously in full speed. You are reading correctly: when lock screen is active, otherwise the fan is silent. The lock screen shows the usual image of the day, i.e. not anything active, the image changes once a day or so. No animations, nothing. Could this be a problem with the new graphics driver? I never had the problem before installing it.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello kriegaex,

I understand that you are currently experiencing problems with the fan, as it starts spinning really fast when the Windows* is locked.

I am currently reviewing all of the information which is included in the other thread so I can have a better background of what has been done before the issue appeared. Also, something I can recommend you to do in the meantime is to check with the OEM (Lenovo*) of the system for any available BIOS updates.

I will be getting back to you as soon as possible after reviewing the information.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kriegaex,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AKrie1
Beginner

I was unaware of the fact that you expected any reply from me because the last thing your said was that you were looking into my information from the other thread and:

I will be getting back to you as soon as possible after reviewing the information.

I can confirm that I have installed all the latest Windows and driver/BIOS updates (Lenovo has a nice application taking care of that). It does not change anything. What I did notice though, was that in Windows 10 the "photos" app as well as Cortana have a lot of background activity. I removed all photo folders from the former and deactivated the permission for it to work in the background. Cortana features are also mostly inactive now after I changed the configuration. Those measures help a little bit, but not completely. Also, the thing is that before the Intel driver update those two services were active and did not yield the fan running all the time after lock screen activation. So this is a workaround, not a solution.

I was also wondering if maybe just the laptop's fan might be congested. That it started behaving in this extreme way after the Intel driver update is a very strange coincidence, though. Do you have any tools or hints for me how I could record relevant information for you and me to see what is actually happening so as to either confirm or rule out the graphics driver as a root cause?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kriegaex,

Thank you for your response.

My apologies for not providing you with the instructions earlier. In fact, I would like to try the following driver that has been released not long ago, you can find the driver in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551

You can try with a manual driver update, in order to do so, please download the ".zip" file from the options provided in the link above. Afterwards, please follow these steps:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the .INF file (Setup Information).

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Now, this step could fix the current issue you are experiencing, however, we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AKrie1
Beginner

Hi David,

is this just a shot into the dark or is there a technical or functional reason for me to try the update? Has any known issue related to mine been addressed making it worth to perform a big download and take the trouble to go through the manual installation process. The latest driver to its own sake is not what I am looking for. Please give me a reason to upgrade. Thank you.

Alexander

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kriegaex,

Thank you for your response.

I understand your concern and also that it is a tedious process. However, these are the steps we have to attempt to isolate the issue that you are currently experiencing. It is not a "shot in the dark" but rather a testing step that we recommend.

Also, we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

I am trying to help you from Intel's side, that step is the first one to check if the driver improves the behavior. This problem that you have stated is not a known issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AKrie1
Beginner

Okay, I will download 367 MB of driver data and install yet another driver changing the minor-minor-minor version compared to the one I have already installed. Ironically, you are mentioning that generic drivers not endorsed or customised by hardware vendors can cause problems, and this is what seems to be happening here, because I had no such problems before installing one of your drivers, which solved the Tux Racer graphics problem but caused the cooling fan to run continually whenever the lock screen is active. My original Lenovo driver showed no such problem.

I will monitor the behaviour after the driver update and follow up on this issue. Speak to you soon.

0 Kudos
AKrie1
Beginner

Okay, update was successful...

... but it does not fix the problem, the behaviour is the same as before. Maybe I am going to downgrade to my old Lenovo driver in order to see if the problem goes away. If it does, it is definitely a driver issue. If it does not, something else is the problem and you are out.

0 Kudos
AKrie1
Beginner

Okay, even the downgrade to the old Lenovo driver does not fix the problem either. So logic implies that it might not be a graphics driver issue at all and that the time when the problem started (after installing that driver) just coincided with some other thing that happened on my computer. Actually I just browsed Lenovo forums and many people seem to have problems with Thinkpad Carbon laptops and the cooling fan running all the time. Sorry for bothering you, I will pester Lenovo instead as of now.

0 Kudos