Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Strange behaviour with HD 4600 on W8.1 + performance settings.

pevan2
Novice

Here we have a fun thing to do. I have quite a few of these and it was a problem for a while I want to know why.

Motherboard - Ibase SI83 (A rather nice box, I like them.)

OS - Windows 8.1 with all the latest updates.

Graphics driver - 10.18.14.4332

Connected display TH42-LF20 (Much smaller than I usually use.) over HDMI (Sorry, DisplayPort, your hot-plug ruins your usability.)

This is an STB, so it likes to play content, typically 4K mp4's.

OS power mode is "balanced" but screen saver etc are disabled, it does not sleep.

Monitor is off.

Content play starts.

Monitor is turned on. "no signal"

Something consumes all available memory in several minutes and the OS crashes.

Why does my machine have a meltdown in this situation?

(I do not have that monitor to hand to reproduce, but I am told it can be done with other monitors like the PN-H701.)

The solution seems to be to change the graphics driver power mode to "high performance."

$gfx = 2

# default = 1 for balanced,

$guid = whatever-I-created.

powercfg -setacvalueindex $guid 44f3beca-a7c0-460e-9df2-bb8b99e0cba6 3619c3f2-afb2-4afc-b0e9-e7fef372de36 $gfx

powercfg -setdcvalueindex $guid 44f3beca-a7c0-460e-9df2-bb8b99e0cba6 3619c3f2-afb2-4afc-b0e9-e7fef372de36 $gfx

WHY?

What, exactly, changes with respect to the output between the various graphics modes and where can I read the awesome documentation about this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Pon:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like to gather some additional information from your system, please provide me with the Intel® System Support Utility report.

How to get this report?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

-Download the utility

-Scan your system with the utility

-Export the report and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option

Some screenshots of the issue wuould be good to have as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Pon:

I was checking this thread and I would like to know if there is any update regarding the information requested previously.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
pevan2
Novice

At this time I am not able to reproduce the problem reliably. And as the actual machines are currently running in a large and very busy station, onsite testing is not possible.

I'm not having much luck with the 4600 graphics. Over display port on a daisychain, 3x3 it falls apart. The solution there was NVidia, but the cheap fans on consumer boards mean it will be dead just after the 1 year warranty.

Oh, and to add to the fun. I have a trivial corruption problem with the HD 530. I shall post that shortly. With SSU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand Pon, when possible, please provide me with that report, that information will help us to attempt to replicate this issue and then provide you with a resolution.

The communities will be waitig for that new thread and this form would be great to have /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Pon:

I was checking this thread and wondered if you were having the same "strage behavior" from your system.

Additionally, have you tested the driver 15.36.31.4414? This is a more recent driver that can assist you on this matter.

If the problem persists, please provide me with the SSU report from your device as well as the form here: /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Pon:

Just wanted to confirm if you were able to use the driver 4414 in your system and how it is behaving.

Please let me know in order to further assist you on this matter.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos