Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Stripes and banding on gradients on external display

luna1
Beginner

I have problems on using external display on laptop. The Gradients look striped and blurred desktops effects look like waves on the external display.

The monitor is brand new and it doesn't have any problem on gradients when used it with a desktop PC having an AMD GPU.

So far I tried issuing :

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

but it doesn't change anything.

Device: HP notebook ay542-tu

Monitor: LG 22mp68vq-p

Kernel: 5.2.17

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Contact HP for assistance. HP is solely responsible for support of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
luna1
Beginner

The problem is from GPU. How does it make HP responsible for it?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Because HP built your laptop. They are the integrator.

Even if there is a problem with the GPU, you still need to work with HP. If they determine there is a problem, they will work with Intel.

Doc

0 Kudos
luna1
Beginner

See, my laptop doesn't come with windows or any driver CDs because it is meant to be used with Linux. It doesn't have dual-graphics or something like that and HP doesn't make any customization for builds like this.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

HP is still responsible for your support. And, I do not see on the HP website where Linux is supported on your laptop.

Contact HP for support.

Doc

0 Kudos
luna1
Beginner

So Linux is not supported? Right?. 😂

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You will have to ask HP if Linux is supported on this laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
luna1
Beginner

By your logic, windows is not supported. because windows is not listed under supported operating systems. link

I should use FreeDOS only. Right?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, windows 10 is supported: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-ay500-notebook-pc-series/12229013/model/14689077

However, use whatever you want...

Doc (no longer following this thread)

0 Kudos
luna1
Beginner

Still it doesn't say windows is supported. Yeah better unfollow to save yourself from embarrassment.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have not "unfollow" yet. If you looked at the link I provided, you would see Windows 7 and Windows 10 support. Yeah, you should read the provided information.

Doc

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello 3000023628651.5707709729830205E12,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The recommendation provided by Al.Hill is accurate. The driver or software for your Intel component might have been changed or replaced by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and it is recommended to use the drivers they provide.

Also, Intel does not provide direct downloads and technical support for Linux drivers. The Intel Graphics Linux driver is primarily supported through the original equipment manufacturer (in this case, HP*), the Linux distribution vendor, or by the Intel Open Source Technology Center at 01.org/linuxgraphics.

Most Linux-based* distributions include Intel® Graphics Drivers. We kindly recommend you contacting the Operating System vendor for driver access and support.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

We would like to look into the behavior described and test in our lab using the Intel's drivers.

Could you please confirm the following information to understand better the environment?

1- Intel® Graphics Device model:

2- Video or images links or sample files used to test the behavior as a reference:

3- Detailed steps on how to reproduce the issue:

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos