Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Super weird GPU behavior

Dense
Novice

I've installed the latest DCH Intel UHD graphics for my UHD 620 to see if anything was different, and sure enough there was a still a super Low GPU Usage(0%)

I did some further testing and found something very weird.

Task manager shows 100% GPU usage as well as my recording software when I'm tabbed out of a game, but as soon as I tab into the game GPU usage drops to 0%

This does not seem to happen to things like video playback, video playback in browsers and ect works just as it should.

Allot of people have been getting similar problems with the UHD 620 when using DCH drivers.

example: https://youtu.be/YtVgk4LlHcU

Edit: the behavior changed again now it does affect video processing and decoding, there both now at 0% and trying to do anything in browsers just does not work, I literally didn't do anything different.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Dense

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

1- Reviewing the videos, we don't see the GPU's utilization going down from 90-100% usage to 0% (instead it ranges around 15-25%). Is this correct and the actual behavior? (We just want to make sure we understand properly the behavior).

2- We understand that you installed the latest Intel® generic graphics driver to see if this issue is solved, so we believe the issue has been occurring since previous driver versions. Is this correct? Could you please provide more details?

3- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (for instance, Windows®, driver, or game updates?) Do you recall any specific driver version that is known to work fine?

4- Does the issue happens using the customized drivers provided by your computer/laptop manufacturer? Please provide details and driver version(s) as a reference.

5- Examples of the games, video player apps, and video encode/decode software that experience this behavior:

6- Please fill up the Template for submitting a Graphics bug available in the link.

7-Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.

8- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Dense
Novice

1.The video processing was as it should be, the 3D rendering was the one going from 100% to 0% as soon as I tabbed into said game. The % did not go lower than 25% when I recording because thing like browsers and OBS used my GPU as it normally would.

2.Yes this had been happening with previous DCH drivers some having more issues than others.

3.Only instance of it working fine is with OEM drivers.

4. Everything works fine with OEM drivers.

5. Video decoding and encoding thing was happening because of another problem I had, where my laptop would become near unusable when plugged into AC (I'm not experiencing this problem anymore) I checked again and video decoding /encoding was not affected.

Examples would be: Scrap Mechanic, Fortnite, Team fortress 2

6.Done

7.Done

8.Done

I'm so sorry for the late reply.

while I was testing to see if all the information I gave out was correct I updated to 21h1 windows update, and my laptop became super unresponsive, and it took me countless hours to fix.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Dense

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Dense

Thank you for your response and for the reports.

Based on the Intel® SSU report, we noticed the system has/had graphics drivers versions 27.20.100.9466 and 30.0.100.9684. However, we are not sure if you have tested with the latest version 30.0.100.9805.

In case you haven't tied this yet, we recommend performing a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using Intel® Graphics DHC driver Version 30.0.100.9805 (Latest). During the process, please make sure all steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

Also, for some of the games, we have recommended settings available. Please review them and apply if necessary:

Please report back the outcome of the steps and in case the driver installation was successful, please provide a new Intel® SSU report.

If you already tested that driver with a clean installation, please just let us know so we can move forward.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Dense
Novice

The SSU file I provided was with OEM drivers, sorry if that made it more confusing.

The behavior I was explaining does not happen on the OEM drivers, and I tested the latest drivers with a clean install and followed all the steps and got the same results.

If it is needed for me to provide a SSU file when I'm on the latest DCH drivers then just let me know.

Sorry for the late reply... again

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Dense

Thank you for your response and for the clarification.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available or in case additional information is required from your end.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Dense

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We would like to inform you that we performed some tests in our lab using some of the games that you play. For instance, using Minecraft* no issues were encountered, and using Scrap Mechanic* we saw the behavior where the FPS drops around 8 and did not increase; however, the GPU utilization did not drop (90%-100%), so we did not experience the same behavior that you have reported.

Since the issue you reported (GPU utilization drops and FPS drops) only occurs on generic drivers, at this point our recommendation is to report this behavior directly to your computer manufacturer (OEM) as they will likely need to customize the drivers and get them validated for their hardware design. For your convenience, here is the link to Acer* Support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this request now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos