Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Surface book 2 display freezing

VSamp2
Beginner

Hi

I have the surface book 2 15", and every day the display would freeze for a couple of seconds. I still don't know how to reproduce the issue, its seem pretty random to me. Sometimes I use a second display, and only the surface book display will freeze, I'm still able the other display. This makes me wonder if this is an hardware issue

it uses the intel hd 620

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Whose graphics driver are you using?

Doc

VSamp2
Beginner

Version 24.20.100.6293 the one the windows update let me install. Its not the latest one, Microsoft blocks Surface book from installing directly from Intel

0 Kudos
VSamp2
Beginner

Here's the informationAnnotation 2019-03-15 214121.png

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello VSamp2, Thank you for posting on this Community. The issue described on this thread could be caused by corrupt settings and driver, hardware failure, or an application. Since this is a random issue, we recommend checking the temperature and background applications. If you get a blue screen or error message, you can post it, too. Try using Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers only. Now, to know if a recently installed application is causing this issue, you can try performing a clean boot in Windows*. How to perform a clean boot in Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VSamp2
Beginner

Hey WannerG, thanks for your comment.

It's all updated. I went to a Microsoft Store and they just did a clean Windows installation. I'm running only OEM drivers provided from Windows update. besides windows files I only have photoshop, Chrome and a few apps from the Windows app Store

Followed your instructions and performed a clean boot and unfortunately the freezing still happens after a few minutes of use. I didn't open any software too

Is there anything else I should try before going to a Microsoft store again? I'm able to reproduce the freezing now. it basically happens 2 or 3 minutes after the boot. even when doing a Clean Boot.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello VSamp2, Thank you for your response. If the issue persists after a clean Windows* installation and your system is up to date, then this is most likely a hardware issue. However, try performing these steps: 1. Disable fast startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/fast-startup-how-to-disable-if-its-causing/f9a4a2d0-104d-42dc-9946-4a2e13c0a348 NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. 2. Try running diagnostic tools. For example, you can run Windows Memory Diagnostic. 3. If the issue persists, we recommend contacting your system manufacturer for further support and warranty options. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VSamp2
Beginner

Thanks again for your help.

I tried all you mentioned above and couldn't fix it. So I went back to the Microsoft Store, they couldn't fix it too so they replaced the Surface Book 2. No problems with the new one so far.

0 Kudos