Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Test Driver for HDMI Display Detection Issues

ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

In an ongoing effort to resolve HDMI display detection some users are experiencing, we are releasing a set of test drivers for Sandybridge, Ivybridge, Haswell, and Broadwell based graphics to gather feedback from the Intel Communities on resolving these issues. Some users have been able to resolve this issue by changing the display cable however, this may not solve the issue in all cases. These test drivers provide another option to address this issue.

These test drivers are exactly that, test drivers, and only for testing the HDMI display detection issues. Please be aware that these drivers should not be used on mission critical systems and that we recommend a restore point be created on your system before installing these test drivers.

These test drivers can be installed by extracting the zip file and running the setup.exe file or by using the "Have Disk" method to install.

According to the license agreement, these test drivers are provided "as is" and are not supported by Intel Technical Support or any other department at Intel.

Issues related or due to these drivers are not supported by Intel® Technical Support. However, we at Intel appreciate your feedback in this matter. Please post all feedback to this thread.

All versions of this test driver can be downloaded here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=24955 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=24955

Which file to choose: 

For 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4200/4400/4600/5000/5100/5200/5300/5500/5600/6000/6200/6300

15.36.64bit_test.zip- Installs the 64bit Test Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Driver 64-bit version for Haswell and Broadwell based products.

15.36.32bit_test.zip- Installs the 32bit Test Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Driver 64-bit version for Haswell and Broadwell based products.

For 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 2500/4000, use:

15.33.64bit_test.zip- Installs the 64bit Test Intel® and HD graphics Driver 64-bit version for Ivybridge based products.

15.33.32bit_test.zip- Installs the 32bit Test Intel® and HD graphics Driver 64-bit version for Ivybridge based products.

For 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000 , use:

15.28.64bit_test.zip- Installs the 64bit Test Intel® and HD graphics Driver 64-bit version

15.28.32bit_test.zip- Installs the 32bit Test Intel® and HD graphics Driver 64-bit version

Thanks

Robert

24 Replies
llybx
New Contributor I

I see you also fixed GTA V graphical corruption in IVB, DX11 is now working and also reflection is now working. Still yet to check if BF4 runs better on Win8.1/Win10 as it was locked 20fps for no reason.

SNovi
Novice

GTA 5 on Intel video cards? You are very patient guy!

0 Kudos
MNot
Beginner

Will not install on win10 TP. Please advise!

Culprit machine is an i7-5600U with HD5500, miniHDMI port (Lenovo TP Yoga 12, 8GB DRAM): Certain beamers (e.g., Panasonic AE500) remain black in both EDID1 and 2 when on "Single external display mode". Once the wrong resolution was tried, the user is deadlocked out of any other trials to recover the particular "dead" external display... it will remain black.

Solutions (impossible with the HD driver)

1. Auto-recover in 10-15s after each external resolution trial, default back to the known working settings;
  2. EDID over-ride, autoload new EDID file (or edit the existing one, wrongly reported over HDMI), for advanced geeks;
  3. Hotkey for blind resolution tests, with autorevert back to safety; e.g., press ctrl+alt+1 for 1024*768 @ 60Hz; ..2 for 1280*720 etc., user-setable, till the proper display setting is found by trial and error, despite the EDID and HDMI/DVI/DP/TB cabling issues (most trouble seems with HDMI, should be perhaps banned from existence whenever DP is available);
  4. A richer device driver and GUI, comparable with nvidia and AMD.

Net: I wasted days trying to connect external displays and beamers to my new 2K$ Thinkpad, cursed with a mHDMI port, but no DP. Despite repeated uninstalls and EDID edits, the intel 5500 and win10 simply won't work with professional 2560*1600 monitors, nor with older 720p beamers in single display external mode. My saga lasts since 2+ months, and it's likely not the win10, but the 5500 and HDMI port. Certainly Lenovo, Intel and MS point fingers at the others, recursively blaiming 'the other party' 🙂

IMHO this sits squarely with Intel's HD5500 and HDMI port driver... the 130MB test patch, however, will not even install on win10.

Mitch-

0 Kudos
MNot
Beginner

is anybody actually working on the HDMI issue, open since 2 yrs and left in limbo? Win10 TP has been available for 1 yr. publicly, it launches in a month, and yet there are no compatible drivers 😞

Most win8.1 drivers should work fine under win10, except the few DX12 calls. Please release this HDMI test drv also for win10 !

thanks, mitch-

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Mitch,

This is a Win 7,8,8.1 test driver and not intended for Win10. The Win 10 TP is receiving driver update via Windows Update and will have the latest available Win 10 TP drivers available.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
MNot
Beginner

Robert: Thanks for your reply!

Problem unsolved since 3 months: Once an external beamer is wrongly configured (resolution or FPS) via winkey+P in external screen "only", this leads to a perennial deadlock => the faulty video config can't be changed or reset anymore! Seems stuck forever in some hidden registries, that survived new dev drivers, new OS builds 😞

I've removed devices, enforced unsigned drivers, overriden EDIDs, everything short of new OS install... nothing has altered the registry keys with the 'deadlocked' beamer! (win8 or win10 are the same, and the problem is repeatable with most 2.5K monitors and beamers... It may not be due to HDMI, just lack of autorevert or test functions for new screens.)

Is there a hidden registry key to reset the video config of "Single external display mode" back to a default, e.g. 1024x7768 @ 60Hz?

Intel doesn't provide resolution hotkeys, hence one can not BLINDLY reconfigure the resolution of a mis-configured beamer/screen, deadlocked on black after a failed trial.

How to exit such common deadlocks with Intel HD? (never had this issue in decades with nvidia and ATI/AMD)

thanks,

Mitch

"Culprit machine is an i7-5600U with HD5500, miniHDMI port (Lenovo TP Yoga 12, 8GB DRAM): Certain beamers (e.g., Panasonic AE500) remain black in both EDID1 and 2 when on "Single external display mode". Once the wrong resolution was tried, the user is deadlocked out of any other trials to recover the particular "dead" external display... it will remain black.

Solutions (impossible with the HD driver)

1. Auto-recover in 10-15s after each external resolution trial, default back to the known working settings;
  2. EDID over-ride, autoload new EDID file (or edit the existing one, wrongly reported over HDMI), for advanced geeks;
  3. Hotkey for blind resolution tests, with autorevert back to safety; e.g., press ctrl+alt+1 for 1024*768 @ 60Hz; ..2 for 1280*720 etc., user-setable, till the proper display setting is found by trial and error, despite the EDID and HDMI/DVI/DP/TB cabling issues (most trouble seems with HDMI, should be perhaps banned from existence whenever DP is available);"
0 Kudos
TJack6
Beginner

I was not able to install the driver using the setup.exe in 15.36.64bit_test. It said "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit." This was on a Toshiba Satellite Radius P55W-B5112, Intel HD Graphics 5500 display adapter.

0 Kudos
dmcga
Beginner

I installed the updated driver and it does not work.

Just to clarify:

1. Yes the HDMI cable / TV is fine (this same setup worked in Win7, just not in 8.1)

2. I read the entire thread located here:

0 Kudos
dmcga
Beginner

Oh and also your download throws a bunch of HTTP 500 (Internal server errors).

0 Kudos
PPras1
Beginner

Hi there,

I was having the same issue with my ASUS T100 and I tried using different cables, re-installing drivers etc. nothing worked until I removed the existing drivers and tried the test HDMI drivers posted in this thread; and 'wow' it worked on the first try. No other changes were done, just these drivers. So, I am not sure what Intel has done, but these 'TEST' drivers do work .. Kudos!.. and I am recommending this as a solution for everyone who is having problems with HDMI.

However, that said, I have the same issue now that I have upgraded to Windows 10. The drivers with Windows 10 don't work. Are you planning to make the same test drivers available for Windows 10 as well?

0 Kudos
PPras1
Beginner

Okay, I can't seem to be able to edit the original message. But, I have managed to get the same driver working in Windows 10 as well by UN-installing the older driver completely including specifying 'delete this driver' and installed the complete test package with setup. Now, it works with Windows 10 as well.

Robert, I am not sure what this test driver proves, but will these changes in the test driver be merged into the main driver? I am asking because otherwise, it would be very difficult to ever upgrade this driver.

0 Kudos
asy
Beginner

Hey guys! I think i finally solved it! you might need a VGA wire:

1. go to control panel < system < device manager < Display adaptors

2. Disable Intel (R) HD graphics

3. Under the device manager find Monitors < Generic PnP Monitor and uninstall it

4. Enable Intel (R) HD graphics

5. restart

done!

0 Kudos
JJoha7
Beginner

Hi

For me this does not work.

I still cant get my Intel HD graphics working.

I have installed Teamviewer on my pc, so i can access it remote.

When using Microsoft standard driver, i have signal via HDMI.

When ever installing Intel HD graphics. Screen becomes black, and even after reboot i can remotely see that the PC is working, but no signal.

Also when looking into screen setup. HDMI does not list as an option!!!

Remove intel driver, and the PC works again!

0 Kudos
dsmit44
Beginner

Thanks..

This works for me.!!

0 Kudos
SNovi
Novice

It helps for my Intel i3 3220 (HD Graphics 2500)

Motherboard Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H

I have been suffered for TWO years. I know this problem was before and you (Intel) knows about it!

Bravo Intel! Other idiots from Microsoft need a new release of Windows for returning back the 'START' button.

Bravo modern marketing of idiots and for idiots!

Say hello to your CEO, I hope he says goodbye for some of you.

Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

We are glad that is working for you guys

Regards,

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

It is not working here. Tried the test driver and still getting black screen as my laptop display is failing to be recognized with this driver.

0 Kudos
PSsss
Beginner

estebanv_intel

Huh? I read almost all the posts till this one. Where did you get the idea it is working?? The test drivers wont even install, since it is says it is not validated for my computer. Laughhable.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

Can this HDMI fix be applied to eDP as well? I have a laptop that is exhibiting this same display detection issue but instead over eDP.

0 Kudos
SBieb
Beginner

Not working on a Medion akoya E7219 with Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I've gone through all the above messages and tried to apply any of these solutions. None worked for me.

Once after installing the test driver and after connecting the laptop to an external hdmi monitor it seemed to work!

But after a clean install on the same laptop this solution could not be reproduced.

Is there any work on this issue right now? Are we going to get some drivers that will work fine?

Following behavior is recognized on the laptop:

After start up the HDMI Port "thinks" it is the internal adapter. Connecting an external display will show a logon screen.

Then I press the on/off button for hibernation.

After waking up the laptop, the logon screen is on the real internal display.

0 Kudos