Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

The current update 26.20.100.6861 for UHD Graphics 630 does not allow custom resolutions.

ineuw
Beginner

The driver 25.20.100.6374 of 2018-11-18 is the last driver permitting custom resolutions.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TechNova
Beginner

Same here on my UHD 620.

Previous .6708 driver working perfectly fine.

In my case, Intel Graphics Control Panel doesn't even detect my drivers. (Graphics commander detects it just fine)

Also not able to add custom refresh rate, says 'Custom Resolutions are not supported for the selected display'.

DDU-ing .6861 and reverting back to 6708 for the time being.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello ineuw, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I will need more information in order to look into this. Please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Also, please let me know the resolution you are trying to set. If possible, with the latest driver, please try to set the custom resolution using the following software: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-graphics-command-center/9plfnlnt3g5g?activetab=pivot:overviewtab Let me know the outcome please. Hello TechNova, Thank you very much for the feedback, I will proceed to check this. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ineuw
Beginner
Hi David V., My preferred resolution is 1536 x 864 x 59MHz, taken from this list https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/. I've tried other True 16:9 resolutions from the list and they all worked. The attachments are in numerical order as they were taken. The report (1) was created imediately after reading your email, as I already had the Intel software tools. Something was wrong with the results. Both the device driver properties (2) and Windows Update (3) showed the earlier version v25.20.100.6374. So, I reset the display monitor to its defaults and deleted the display driver, and Windows reverted to the basic display. This triggered Windows to reinstall v25.20.100.6374 which was the customizable driver. Interestingly, this install also restored my custom 1536 x 864 x 59resolution BUT it does not show up as a custom resolution! The last document (4) is the final online detailed report which still shows conflicting info. There are a number of additional screen shots taken in the order of events, but did not add them because this email is cluttered as it is. I hope this doesn't ruin your day. Imre N.
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ineuw,

Thank you for your response.

First, just to confirm, you mentioned that after installing the driver provided by Windows update, the resolution wanted is now working? 

Also, I would like to mention that I did not get any of the attachments, this is because you responded to the thread via e-mail and attached the documents there. The attachments must be made directly in the community.

If the resolution was fixed after the update, this could mean that the driver installed was the latest provided by the system manunfacturer of your computer, are you using a desktop or a laptop?

I would also like to confirm if you used the Intel ® Graphics Command Center and if so, were you able to set the different custom resolutions?

Let me know please. 

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
ineuw
Beginner

DavidV, I am unable to add more than one document, although I have more than one to clarify the story.

Currently I have the 25.20.10.6374 driver installed and is displaying the my choice of resolution, but without being listed as a custom resolution.

How is it possible for me to do a real clean install so that it does not pick up residual settings.

Thank you,

ineuw

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ineuw,

If you need to upload more than one file, please proceed to put all of the files in a .zip folder and then you can attach that .zip. 

Now, In order to do a clean installation of the graphics driver you must follow the steps below: 

1 - Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer.

2 - Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3 - Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

4 - Restart the computer.

5 - Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

6 - If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'.

6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')

7 - Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1.

8 - Restart the computer.

9 - Reconnect to the Internet.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ineuw
Beginner
David V., I can only reply to with gMail because the Intel support forum is not available. Followed your instructions to the letter. After downloading the current latest DCH driver (6861) it took two attempts and two reboots to install, but the Graphics Control center could not find the driver so the app couldn't load. Uninstalled and deleted 6861, rebooted and then Windows update again offered me 6374 driver and I installed it. The Control center is working and 2 custom resolutions are defined and working as well. Will upload the zip file with today's screenshots and the latest SSU report as soon as the forum is available. ineuw
0 Kudos
ineuw
Beginner

Attached please find 4 documents I saved while following your instructions. Each document's name begins with the date and time it was created.

According to Intel the latest Intel DCH driver is 26.20.100.6861.

Downloaded this driver to the desktop and managed to install it after 2 attempts. The 1st attempt's message was that the hardware and software are incompatible.

Image 1 message is that the graphics control center is not accessible for this 26.20.100.6861.

Uninstalled and deleted 26.20.100.6861, and after two reboots it managed to display the Microsft basic display driver. Checked Windows Update, which installed 25.20.100.6374.

Image 2 shows that driver 25.20.100.6374 can access the control center. And added two custom resolutions successfully.

Image 3 shows that the installed driver is 25.20.100.6374 in Device drivers display properties.

Image 4 is the last SSU report created immediately after the successful installation, but it is wrong again! It shows the deleted 6861 as the driver.

ineuw

0 Kudos
ineuw
Beginner

David,

The screen displayed SSU report before saving and the same report after saving are different .

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ineuw,

Upon review of the System Support Utility report, it does show that the driver 6374 is the one installed, you can see it under the "Intel ® HD Graphics", scrolling down it does show that version which seems to be the latest version recognized for the system by the motherboard manufacturer.

Since you have the option to use the resolutions you need then the best option is to stay with this driver version. The O.S seems to be having an issue identifying which driver is the correct one, I have noticed this ever since you mentioned that the Command Center cannot recognize the drive.

A step to address this and test would be to try with a re-installation of the operating system (only if possible); however, if you are able to use the custom resolutions with this driver then I would recommend to wait for a new version and attempt an update.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ineuw
Beginner

David, thanks for the recommendations. Some time after sending the report, another video problem cropped up. This time the monitor darkened. The images were visible but very dark.

Reinstalling the OS or even purchasing another monitor is not a problem, but before I consider replacing the screen, I must be sure of the source of the problem.

Used the Intel driver support software again to see what the driver update status was, and was offered another driver .26.20.100.6890. Installed this and added the custom resolutions without any problems. The display brightness returned to normal.

Also noticed that Intel does not identify my monitor specs correctly. It reported 8bit color depth which I knew was wrong. So, attached is the latest SSU report, and the correct video specs.

Please let me know if you see any problems in this new report.

Thanks for the help,

Imre N.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ineuw,

Upon reviewing the report attached I was unable to find any inconsistencies other than the driver showing twice under the display adapter.

This could be a reason for the graphics driver to behave in such an odd way, it is recommended to proceed with an O.S re-installation to see if, after installing everything from scratch, the drivers do not show at the same time.

Let me know if you are able to proceed with the O.S re-installation.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ineuw,

Were you able to check my post?

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
ineuw
Beginner

Hello David,

I did as you recommended, and fresh re-installed the latest release of Windows10 1809. For me everything is working smoothly and well, including the custom resolution. I am attaching the last SSU report created a few minutes ago. If you have no comment, the please consider this topic closed. . . . . .and thanks.

PS. At first I installed rel. 1903 but the video output was terrible, so I reverted to Windows 10 rel. 1809

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ineuw,

I am really glad to know your system is once again working properly. If you need any more assistance in the future do not hesitate to contact us back.

Thank you for reporting back!

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos