Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Tiled resources not working in D3D11 (Iris 540)

Käs__Tobias
Beginner

Hi, I'm experimenting with tiled textures and I've noticed that they are not working at all in D3D11 on my Surface Pro 4. I'm not getting any errors from the D3D11 diagnostics and the code seems to appear to work using the WARP software device, but since so few information is available on the net I may have gotten something wrong on the API side.

Since both UpdateTiles and UpdateSubresource APIs don't manage to transfer texture content undamaged it looks to me like a fundamental driver bug, so before experimenting any more I first want to ask if its a known bug and/or easily reproducible on your side; otherwise I can try building some sample application which tries to reproduce the issue.

System Setup Information:
-----------------------------------------

System Used: Surface Pro 4
CPU SKU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6650U
GPU SKU: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 540
Processor Line: (Y-Series, U-Series, etc.)
System BIOS Version:
CMOS settings:
Graphics Driver Version: 20.19.15.4463
GOP/VBIOS Version: 106.1281.768
Operating System: Windows 10 (64 Bit)
OS Version: 10.0 Build 14393
API: Direct3D 11

Steps to Reproduce:
-------------------------------
1. Create a test project for D3D11 which displays a textured quad using a tiled 2d texture.
2. Try updating the texture content in various ways (UpdateSubresource, UpdateTiles, ...)

Expected Results:
Updating the tiled resource should update the texture with the specified content.

Actual Results:
Uploading texture content to a tile never works. Sometimes the content is garbled, sometimes a fraction of the specified content is taken and repeated over the whole tile, sometimes the device is reset. Also, when using UpdateSubresource the whole tile gets overwritten even if I was just updating a subsection of the tile.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Tobias,

I don't see any bug reports with that issue, though one may still exist. I'll report this issue but if you could provide a sample that would be great. It really help out the driver team if they have something that shows the issue already. 

Also if possible you may want to try on our latest driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26404/Intel-Graphics-Driver-15-45-

-Michael 

0 Kudos
Käs__Tobias
Beginner

Thanks for checking.

I've tried making an isolated application reproducing the problem, you can find it at https://github.com/weltkante/TiledTextureTest

The repository includes screenshots and a description of the expected/actual results. You can also view them online here: https://weltkante.github.io/TiledTextureTest/readme.html

Apologies if I'm using the API wrong, or if I made mistakes writing up the example. Originally I was testing tiled textures as an alternative way to implement a dynamically growing texture atlas. Since it is embedded in a larger application I had to write up the example code by hand; I hope I didn't introduce any unrelated mistakes.

About updating the driver, doesn't seem to work, I'm getting a generic error about the driver not being validated for this computer, which according to the linked website indicates that the manufacturer (i.e. Microsoft) is customizing the base driver. Usually Microsoft has been pushing graphic driver updates through normal Windows updates on the Surface Pro 4 but as far as I can see I've got the newest version available from them.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Tobias,

Thanks, sorry for the slow replies. Work is very hectic since returning the holidays. I will get this reported. 

-Michael 

0 Kudos
Käs__Tobias
Beginner

Coppock, Michael J (Intel) wrote:

I will get this reported. 

-Michael

Did this ever get reported? I understand that its probably too late to get this fixed on Surface 4 drivers, but I'd still like to make sure this gaping hole in driver functionality is/will be fixed on modern hardware.

The github repository with the reproduction scenario is still valid.

0 Kudos