Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Tux Racer problem on Intel HD 5500 on Windows 10

konradk
Beginner

I have Dell Latitude E7250 laptop with Intel HD 5500 (Intel Core i5 5300u CPU)  with the newest Windows 10 and the newest driver 20.19.15.5126, A11. I've noticed that I have invisible tux on Extreme Tux Racer game.

I've found that somebody had similar on Intel HD 620.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Game-quot-Extreme-Tux-Racer-quot-problems-with-Intel-HD-620/td-p/539947#

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello konradk,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• Were any changes/updates made prior to this behavior?
  • Was the game working fine at a certain point?
  • Are you experiencing any other issue with any game/app?

We can see that you are using the latest driver version provided by your computer manufacturer, which is great as they provide drivers that are fully validated and compatible with your device.

However, I noticed that there is newer driver version in our website for your graphics adapter.

It is version 15.40.47.5166 and you can find it here

By any chance have you tried that driver to see if there is an improvement in the behavior?

Additionally, Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
konradk
Beginner

Thank you very much for reply.

1. I've never noticed that Extreme Tux Racer game works properly on Windows 10 on this laptop. It's works properly on Linux.
  2. I've just upated driver to 15.40.47.5166 and problem still occurs.
  3. I attach Intel SSU Utility raport.
0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello konradk,

Thank you so much for your response and the information attached.

I understand that this behavior still ocurring after the installation of the latest driver.

For that reason, I would like to further investigate this behavior internally.

I will provide an update as soon as possible.

Additionally, I would like to share with you some recommendations that are worth trying when working with older PC games on Windows*.

Please check the steps provided in the following article, I would appreciate if you could give them a try and check results with me.

Please let me know if you notice any improvement.

I will be waiting for your response.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
konradk
Beginner

Steps from article also does not help.

0 Kudos
konradk
Beginner
0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello konradk,

Thank you so much for testing the recommendations provided.

As previously stated, I will work internally to replicate and report this behavior.

I will provide an update as soon as possible.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello konradk,

Thank you so much for your patience.

I would like to provide an update on this thread.

We tried replicating this behavior in our Intel lab using the following environment:

1. Graphics adapter: HD graphics 5500
  2. Graphics driver tested: 20.19.15.5144 and 15.40.47.5166
  3. Operating system: Windows 10 2004.

However, we were able to enjoy the game with no issues. This indicates that the driver is not causing this behavior, therefore, we need to consider other factors. Please find a video attached to the thread.

Can you please provide the site where you download the game?

Have you tried reinstalling the game? Or any other general troubleshooting?

I will be waiting for your response. 

0 Kudos
konradk
Beginner

I've downloaded the game from this site.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/extremetuxracer/

What about Video BIOS? Is it possible that Dell BIOS uncorrectly support my video card? I've tried do uninstall all intel drivers and install again.

Merely on Microsoft Basic Graphics card driver tux was visible.

0 Kudos
konradk
Beginner

My VIDEO BIOS version is 1039.18. Is it latest version?

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello konradk,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to inform confirm that we used the same website to download the game during the lab.

Additionally, I reviewed the report previously attached (SSU) and we can determine that you are using the latest BIOS version. According to your laptop manufacturer website the latest version is A24 which is dated for 10 Jun 2020.

I consider that the behavior might be related to OEM customizations, or BIOS update might be required from the manufacturer of the computer.

We can check the processor graphics functionality and ensure that is working as expected by running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a.txt file.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
konradk
Beginner

I attach Intel test results.
I am surprised that in your laboratory this problem does not occur but somebody have had the same problem with Intel HD 620 and driver had been cause of it.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Game-quot-Extreme-Tux-Racer-quot-problems-with-Intel-HD-620/td-p/539947#

Perhaps this is problem with Intel HD 5500 driver which occures merely on some laptops (Dell Latitude E7250 for example)?

Furthermore, I reported other issue with my Intel HD 5500.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Poor-performance-on-Linux-with-Intel-HD-5500/m-p/1231417#M91839

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello konradk,

Thank you for your response.

Based on the report attached we can determine that the processor and the integrated graphics are working as expected. So we can discard any possible processor/graphics failure.

This is because after the several tests that are performed by the IPDT the unit was able to pass all of them.

Regarding your other concern, I would like to get more information:

• When you state that you are experiencing low performance/issues with in terms of graphics what do you mean? 
  • Are you experiencing any kind of flickering? Is this a resolution problem?
  • Have you performed any additional troubleshooting on your side? Does this occurs only in Linux* distros?
  • What is the behavior in Windows*? (Besides Tux game)

Please consider that any concern related to graphics drivers related to Linux-based* distributions should be informed to the Linux* distribution vendor.

This is because they provide and maintain drivers and provide their access and support.

For more information please check Contact your operating system vendor (OSV)

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
konradk
Beginner

With regards to Tux Racer I've reported this problem on Dell forum.
https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Extreme-Tux-Racer-game-problem-on-Dell-Latitude-E7250-video-BIOS/m-p/7753821#M28296

[quote]When you state that you are experiencing low performance/issues with in terms of graphics what do you mean?[/quote]

1. layers acceleration or Webrender on Firefox causes significantly less smooth browsing experience and sifgnificantly higher CPU usage during watchin Youtube videos.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1659143

On other computer with Ati Radeon HD 6450 (significantly worse GPU) accelerations works fine on Firefox in Linux.

2. On Linux Mint Cinnamon I see more smooth animations on other computer with Ati Radeon HD 6450.

3. On Linux Extreme Tux Racer I see the same fps as on other computer with Ati Radeon HD 6450. Numer of fps should be significantly higher on Intel HD 5500.

4. On Linux benchmark glmark2 I see the same results (about 260 points on fullscreen 1920x1080) as on Ati Radeon HD 6450. Result shoulb be significantly higher on Intel HD 5500.

[quote]Are you experiencing any kind of flickering? Is this a resolution problem?[/quote]
No, I don't experience this problem.

[quote]
Have you performed any additional troubleshooting on your side? Does this occurs only in Linux* distros?[/quote]

Yes, I've tried different distributions of Linux and different drivers. On Windows my graphics performance is OK. On Windows 10 web browsing is very smooth with GPU accelerated Web rendering.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello konradk,

Thank you so much for your response.

We consider that there are several factors that need to be considered on this matter:

1)   As this behavior occurs only with Linux-based distros my recommendation would be to contact your Linux vendor for the appropriate drivers/firmware that may help to improve system stability and performance.

You can use the link that was provided in my previous post to contact your operating system vendor. Please check the following website for Intel Graphics for Linux*

2)   Additionally, as you may know when talking about laptops we need to consider the features, customizations, changes or limitations that the laptop manufacturer may have placed during the manufacturing process. I would recommend to contact them (As you already did) to check compatibility and ensure that OS, drivers meet the system specific system design.

On our side, we can confirm that the driver is not causing this behavior as we were not able to replicate the issue with the same configuration. Therefore other factors need to be covered.

That being said, we consider that you require direct assistance from your operating system vendor and computer manufacturer.

I hope that you will notice an improvement after reporting this to them.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.

0 Kudos