Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

UHD 620 grpahics problem

bhdavis27
Beginner

Asus X510UNR laptopI7-8550U cpu
16 GB ram
Intel UHD 620 GPU
Nvidia GeForce MX150 GPU

In AutoCAD 2008 I have lag time when drawing circles, ovals etc. and when copy/pasting anything over perhaps 4 to 6 circles and/or larger drawings.

I can't disable the UHD 620 and run only on the GeForce MX150 as it kicks in automatically for 3D only.

When I disable to UHD 620 GPU I lose my dual monitor capabilities as well as the GeForce control panel.  If I try to open the GeForce control panel I get an error message stating that no displays are using this graphics card.

Also when the UHD 620 is disabled I still of course have graphics through the I7 cpu embedded graphics hardware.

The weird thing is that when the UHD 620 is disabled the AutoCAD problem goes away.

So what is happening with the UHD 620 graphics?  I've periodically downloaded the most up to date driver and the problem has never gone away.  I've also tried many different settings in the Intel graphics control panel with no change, as well as done all the typical changes in AutoCAD such as editing the hardware acceleration settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BH

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello bhdavis27,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

The hybrid graphics systems are usually designed to run graphically demanding tasks that can be optimized to run on discrete graphics as recommended by the computer or graphics card manufacturer, all the applications usually run on it and no on the onboard graphics.

To provide you with more accurate support, please provide us the below information:

• Was the application running fine before? If so, when it starts having issues (after an update, etc)?
  • Please, provide a video to check the issue.

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
bhdavis27
Beginner

Maria,

Thanks for the response.

The SSU_scan file is attached.

Also an .mp4 file showing the jerky, delayed motion of drawing circles and then copy/pasting them as a group.  It's like the video processor just can't keep up.  But then if I turn off the UHD620 and run on the embedded GPU in the I7 processor everything is smooth and instantaneous.

Thanks,

BH Davis

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello bhdavis27,

Thank you for the information.

We will start updating your system, with the report I noticed that you are missing some important updates.

Operating System

• Please, complete the pending Windows* updates, you are currently in version 1903, the latest one available is the version 2004 build 19041.

Drivers

There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. You are using the driver version 27.20.100.7990, the driver is not listed on the Manufacturer's website nor the Intel website. There is the chance that the driver was automatically installed by Windows*.

The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers and because the hybrid-graphics systems are highly customized and manufacturers provide through driver updates the proper function of the combination of the graphics.

Please, install the Manufacturer's driver, and let me know the outcome:

Clean installation steps:

1. Download the latest Graphics Driver from ASUS, version: V26.20.100.7325
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Driver from Apps and Features.
  4. Restart the computer. 
  5. Go to the Device Manager > Video Adapters and check if the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point, we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 5.1 through 5.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') Note: Repeat this process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  6. Install the previously downloaded Graphics Driver from Lenovo.
  7. Reconnect to the Internet and reboot your PC.
  8. If the behavior persists, you can try the generic driver from Intel (just for testing), just follow the same steps but download the version 27.20.100.8853.

***Please contact ASUS* for the proper installation of the Nvidia driver.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
bhdavis27
Beginner

Thanks for helping.

The Windows 10 V2004 Build 19041 is not available for this Asus laptop.  The notification that it is coming is on the Windows update page but it isn't there to download as yet.  Just running the CHECK FOR UPDATES only brings down the latest update for my current Windows 10 version.

I did al the driver updates per your instructions, including the 27.20.100.8853 for testing with no improvement along the way in the problem.

As before the problem goes away and AutoCAD draws as smoothly as it should once the display driver has reverted to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Thanks,

BH Davis

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello bhdavis27,

We will try to replicate this in our labs, using just Intel* Hardware to check if the issue is related to our graphics card.

I'll post back as soon as I have updates to share with you.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
bhdavis27
Beginner

Thanks.  Program is AutoCAD LT 2008 so an old version.  I'm retired and just use it occasionally so don't need the full blown current version.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello bhdavis27,

I tried to search the program to pass the info to the proper team, however, I was unable to find a reliable link to download AutoCAD.

To be able to complete this I will need your help:

• Please provide us with specific steps to try to replicate your issue.
  • Provide us with a link where we can find and download the tool AutoCAD 2008.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
bhdavis27
Beginner

Maria,

You aren't going to find a 2008 version of AutoCAD regular or LT.  Autodesk owns it and they are almost nasty when it comes to supporting old versions.  Since this is 12 years old I doubt there is any chance of your getting a copy online.

Two possible options here:

1) You could call Autodesk.  Being from Intel they might respond...........but be prepared for getting nowhere.  1-844-842-1674 (I think)

2)  I'll try and make a copy of the original CD and see if I can upload it to a place where you could download from.  I'll take a look at trying that later today.

If I can get you a copy we'll see if you can replicate the behavior.

Thank you for being so great about this.  I'm really in awe of how you are responding.

Bernard Davis

0 Kudos
bhdavis27
Beginner

Maria,

I think I have the entire installation CD uploaded to:

http://www.bhdavis.net/downloads/AutoCAD_LT_2008/

Please see if you can grab it and get it to install.  I believe it will give you a week or so of test running before requiring the registration key.  Let me know if you need it and I'll send it along.

If you can get it running I'll give you specific details on trying to duplicate the issue.

Thanks,

BH Davis

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello bhdavis27,

I will try this and post back as soon as possible!

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello bhdavis27,

Thank you for your patience with this thread.

We have been working on it and, unfortunately, after many attempts to install the tool we were unable to complete it. We cannot go further with the issue as AutoCAD 2008 is not supported under Windows 10 as per the app developer itself: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Windows-10-support-for-Autodesk-products.html

We cannot duplicate the issue and we may address the problem to compatibility with the Operating System you are (and us) are using. Since we cannot provide you with a more accurate response, the best course of action will be to contact the app developer, they may assist you with steps or configurations you can use to fix the behavior.

I really hope that you find a fix for this and be able to use the tool properly!

As we will not continue from here, we will close the thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos