Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

USB powers down when screen shuts off Intel HD 4200

idata
Employee

I have a Dell Venue 11 7130, with Intel 4200 Video. As soon as I install the drivers for video, the USB port powers down as soon as the screen shuts off. The screen shuts off when either the lid is closed, or power management shuts it off for inactivity. If I uninstall the video driver, the USB port stays on.I have gone through all the options to keep the USB port on. I didn't see any options in the driver that related to USB. Is there some hidden feature or registry setting that would disable this function?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello DellChad,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I would like to help you troubleshoot this issue with the USB port on your Dell Venue 11 7130 when updating your graphics driver.

First, I would like to know where you are downloading the graphics driver from and the version you install when this issue happen. In these cases, it is recommended to make sure that the graphics driver is compatible with your computer and operating system.

Also, run the Intel® System Support Utility to get more information about your system. Follow these steps:

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

In addition, have you tried installing the Intel Chipset Device Software Driver provided by your system manufacturer first?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the help. I originally got the driver from Dell, but managed to install the latest Intel driver with a little bit of work, with no change. Originally I was thinking the problem was in the Video driver, but I'm starting to think the driver simply passes along to another driver that the display has turned off, and uninstalling the video driver prevents this message, and stops the USB port from turning off.

unfortunately, the diagnostics might show all kinds of problems. I had a spare SSD, so I removed my main one, installed the new one, and have been experimenting. The Windows updates are likely not all done, but they were on my original HD. The original HD had every driver that was available installed, although I don't remember if the chipset driver or the video driver was installed first. Could it matter?

Regardless of what I did, the only thing that ever kept the USB port from powering down was uninstalling the video driver.

Here's the output:

# SSU Scan Information

Scan Info:

Version:"2.5.0.12"

Date:"06/27/2018"

Time:"00:00:25.5358509"

# Scanned Hardware

Computer:

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"Dell Inc."

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"

BIOS Version/Date:"Dell Inc. A13 , 09/15/2014 12:00 AM"

CD or DVD:"Not Available"

Embedded Controller Version:"255.255"

Platform Role:"Mobile"

Processor:"Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030Y CPU @ 1.60GHz , GenuineIntel"

Secure Boot State:"Off"

SMBIOS Version:"2.7"

Sound Card:"High Definition Audio Device"

System Manufacturer:"Dell Inc."

System Model:"Venue 11 Pro 7130 MS"

System SKU:"Venue 11 Pro 7130 MS"

System Type:"x64-based PC"

- "Display"

Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"10.18.14.4578"

- "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

Adapter Compatibility:"Intel Corporation"

Adapter DAC Type:"Internal"

Adapter RAM:"1.00 GB"

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

Bits Per Pixel:"32"

- "Caption":"Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

Link:"http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=HD+Graphics+Family http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=HD+Graphics+Family"

CoInstallers:"igfxCoIn_v4578.dll, CoDeviceInstall"

Color Table Entries:"4294967296"

Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"

Driver:"igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Date:"01/03/2017 04:00 PM"

Driver Path:"C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Provider:"Intel Corporation"

Driver Version:"10.18.14.4578"

INF:"oem14.inf"

INF Section:"iHSWM_w81"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Installed Drivers:"igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

Last Reset:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"Intel Corporation"

Microsoft DirectX* Version:"11.X"

Monochrome:"No"

Number of Colors:"4294967296"

Number of Video Pages:"Not Available"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A1E&SUBSYS_06041028&REV_0B\3&11583659&0&10"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Refresh Rate - Current:"59 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Maximum:"59 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Minimum:"47 Hz"

Resolution:"1920 X 1080"

Scan Mode:"Noninterlaced"

Service Name:"igfx"

Video Architecture:"VGA"

Video Memory:"Unknown"

Video Processor:"Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

- "Memory"

Physical Memory (Available):"1.95 GB"

Physical Memory (Installed):"4 GB"

Physical Memory (Total):"3.92 GB"

- "DIMM A"

Capacity:"2 GB"

Channel:"DIMM A"

Data Width:"64 bits"

Form Factor:"SODIMM"

Interleave Position:"First position"

Manufacturer:"Hynix/Hyundai"

Memory Type:"Unknown"

Part Number:"Not Available"

Serial Number:"80808080"

Type:"Synchronous"

- "DIMM B"

Capacity:"2 GB"

Channel:"DIMM B"

Data Width:"64 bits"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DellChad,

Thank you for your response.

As the graphics driver may adjust some power options, I recommend you to install the latest graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer as they are customized and help improve functionality.

According to the report attached, you can install a newer graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer. The graphics driver version installed at this moment probably was installed by Windows.

Here is the latest graphics driver available at your system manufacturer's website.

Video > Operating system > Intel graphics driver

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ae/en/aebsdt1/product-support/product/dell-venue-11i-pro/drivers

You can perform a clean install of the graphics driver. Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect your unit from the internet.

2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

-Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

-Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your computer. Go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ae/en/aebsdt1/product-support/product/dell-venue-11i-pro/drivers

5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

Additionally, you can Disable USB Power Management to help with driver installation.

1.Open Control Panel

2.Click on Device Manager

3.Double-click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers

4.Double-click on the first USB Root Hub item

5.Click on the Power Management Tab

6.Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and click OK

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks again for the response!

I originally had the Dell drivers installed. I also had the drivers from Microsoft, against better judgement, and I at least attempted installing the latest Intel drivers manually. None worked. USB turns off as soon as the lid is closed.

I have disabled USB Power Management on the hub, as well as the USB 3.0 device. You might expect this would do it, but it didn't.

I'm installing a fresh Windows 8.1. Is there a preferred order of things? Should I do the chipset driver first? Install all drivers before running Windows updates? Anything else?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DellChad,

In this case, you can follow the steps provided by your system manufacturer.

How to Reinstall Windows Drivers in the Correct Order

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ae/en/aebsdt1/sln148687/how-to-reinstall-windows-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=en

I hope this helps

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, I followed directions to to the letter. I reinstalled windows, downloaded drivers from the Dell website, and installed drivers in order as described in the link.

The same problem persists. When I close the lid, or I let the screen shut off, the USB shuts off as well. The USB comes back on with the screen. I have disabled power management for the USB port.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DellChad,

I appreciate your response.

It seems that you already performed a few troubleshooting steps to rule out a power management issue in Windows. Also, since your system manufacturer may incorporate customizations or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging, my recommendation is that you contact Dell* to find additional information about this.

Keep in mind that your system manufacturer may have a fix or workaround that you can enable in BIOS, too. A BIOS update may resolve this issue, but we do not recommend a BIOS update without the manufacturer's advice since there may be some risk.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I have learned all levels of Dell Support is a complete waste of time, and more often than not I help them more than they help me. Hopefully someone has solved this issue. If I figure it out, I'll post.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, it seems I'll have to dump this issue back into your lap. This is what I did:

1) Installed a fresh Windows 8.1 64 Bit

2) Verified the USB still works when the screen shuts off

3) Installed the Intel driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

At this point, the USB shuts down when the screen turns off. I never installed any Dell drivers.

Is there any thorough documentation for this driver? Perhaps a list of registry keys that affect this driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DellChad,

Another step you can take to troubleshoot this issue is to recover your laptop's factory values by using the Dell Media Recovery Options. I am including a link in case you need it.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ae/en/aebsdt1/sln127718/dell-media-recovery-options?lang=en

In addition, information about registry keys may not be available. Because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes, you definitely have to take this issue to your computer manufacturer so that they can reproduce the issue and find out what the root of the problem is. If the laptop manufacturer determines the issue is with the Intel driver they will surely contact us (business-to-business) to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos