Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Ultrabook resolution halving and battery saving

idata
Employee

Me as many of students just bought a ultra book for school start. I got a Lenovo yoga 900 isk2, lovely computer, at least on paper. It has a bigger battery than any other ultra book that i know of but it's battery life is simply not that good. Why? Well the GPU (intel Iris 540) has to push out a whopping 3200*1800 pixels for this tiny screen.

My solution to this problem was simply to halve the resolution, 1600*900, still better DPI than my stationary. With windows 10 scaling there should hardly be any difference on running 3600*1800 200% scaling or 1600*900 at 100%.

But there is. At 1600*900 the screen looks blurry, text is almost unreadable and edges between colors looks brown. That seems strange since each pixel sent out from the GPU should just take up 2*2 pixels on the screen. So why is it like this, I'm not totally sure but my best guess is that the screen uses some kind of blurring to fill the whole screen, probably bicubic interpolation. Underneath you'll se an example of how it looks and how it should look.

3200*1800 100% scaling1600*900 100% scaling (How it looks today)1600*900 100% scaling (How it should look)

So this is my question: How do I turn of interpolation at the resolution 1600*900, is it possible?

I understand that the problem may lie with the screen drivers so I'll post my question on Lenovos page as well.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi LXO,

Well, by default Intel graphics control panel doesn't have the option to turn interpolation off. In regards to your issue I suggest you to change the refresh rate.

I suggest you to confirm with Lenovo, which the recommended resolutions are on your laptop.

Regards,Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What would changing the refresh rate do? ( I believe it's locked since everything except for 60 Hz says it above he bandwidth limit, even lower frame rates.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi LXO,

Refresh rate improves image quality; but the option can be disable by pc manufacturer.

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How does refresh rate improve image quality? The problem is blurriness on static things.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi LXO,

A better refresh rate reduces display distortions. On laptop displays, it is better to use the recommended display resolution by pc manufacturer and change Win10 Display settings (change size text and others)

Click Windows start button>Settings>System(Display,Apps,Power)>and select Advanced display settings

I recommend you to play for a while with the options available there.

Mike C
0 Kudos