Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Unable to Extend Dual Monitors with HDMI

DFish5
Beginner

I have a WIndows 10 - Dell Inspiron 3668 with Intel HD Graphics 630 and trying to connect to Dual HDMI Monitors. There is only one (1) HDMI port in the desktop.

What type of HDMI adapter should I purchase to Extend to Dual Monitors?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, in this case, one HDMI port equals one monitor. You could get a splitter, but that would just mean two monitors displaying the same thing. I believe that, in this design, if you want to have two monitors, you have to add the second monitor via the VGA connector.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
DFish5
Beginner

Yes you're right, the splitter is displaying the same think o two monitors.

So Dual HDMI monitors can only be connected to a video card with Two HDMI ports?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Correct. Your processor has three DisplayPort output channels and each can support a monitor. One is being converted to HDMI, one is being converted to VGA and the third is being wasted as it is not routed anywhere in this design.

Your other option for connecting a HDMI monitor is by utilizing a USB 3.0 Display Adapter. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Monitor-Adaptor-Converter-Windows/dp/B06XDM64JM Amazon.com: USB 3.0 to 1080p HDMI Adapter. This would be a low-performance option, however; not for monitors being used for gaming output.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos