Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Unable to achieve 4K @ 60Hz using the latest Iris Xe (i7-1165G7)

KhaledHammouda

My situation is exactly the same as the one mentioned in this post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/No-4k-60Hz-output-with-new-Xe-Graphics-i7-1165G7. Unfortunately that post is now closed so I can't comment on it.

I just bought a Dell XPS 13 9310 2-in-1, which includes Intel Iris Xe Graphics. I hooked up the laptop to my LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K monitor, but I'm unable to get the laptop to drive the monitor at 4K @ 60Hz, I can only get it to achieve 4K @ 30Hz, which makes everything sluggish and unbearable.

I have a MacBook Pro that can drive the monitor at 4K @ 60Hz without any issues. I use a USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and I also tried a high-speed HDMI cable with an 4K certified USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I still can get only 30Hz refresh rate.

I installed all the Dell driver and firmware updates as of today. I also installed the latest Intel Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8853 (dated 2020-10-14). And just to be absolutely sure I also installed the latest LG 4K monitor update for Windows 10. All without success.

The Intel Graphics Command Center clearly shows that the monitor is capable of 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, but the only available option for Refresh Rate is 30Hz. Only if I drop the resolution to 2560x1440 then I'm able to select a higher refresh rate 59p, but then everything looks blurry and ugly.

I called Dell support and eventually they said it must be something with the monitor settings, but I have the monitor working with my MacBook Pro at 4K @ 60Hz (screenshot attached), so that doesn't sound correct.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
KhaledHammouda

Update:

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2710Q 4K monitor, and hooked it to my XPS using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and it worked at 4K@60Hz. It also worked at 60Hz using the older cable from the LG monitor. I tried the new Dell monitor cable with the LG monitor, and I still get 30Hz, so something is not quite right between the laptop and the LG monitor.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back on my findings in case someone else has the same issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
KhaledHammouda
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, I will repeat my standard guidance: If a cable came with the monitor, it is, without a doubt, absolute garbage and belongs exactly there. Purchase a good cable yourself.

If you are using a dedicated USB-C-to-HDMI or USB-C-to-DP cable/dongle that actually guarantees that it supports 4K@60Hz, then you have a chance of getting 4K@60Hz working. The issue is how many lanes of the USB-C connection are dedicated to graphics. If USB is in use through this connection, half the lanes will be lost to USB support and the best you will ever do is 4K@30Hz. For this reason, I also recommend that you NOT use USB-C-to-USB-C cables to connect a monitor. In this case, USB will be enabled and half of the lanes will be unavailable to graphics.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I do not have anything with Xe graphics, so cannot test this myself. I am providing my standard guidance for HD/UHD graphics. AFAIK, it is still applicable.

0 Kudos
KhaledHammouda

Update:

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2710Q 4K monitor, and hooked it to my XPS using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and it worked at 4K@60Hz. It also worked at 60Hz using the older cable from the LG monitor. I tried the new Dell monitor cable with the LG monitor, and I still get 30Hz, so something is not quite right between the laptop and the LG monitor.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back on my findings in case someone else has the same issue.

0 Kudos
KhaledHammouda

Correction: Dell UltraSharp U2720Q (it really sucks that I can't edit my own post).

0 Kudos
jpc0480
Novice

I also have an XPS 9310 that is connected by TB to a Dell WD19TB Dock. I have a Samsung LU28R550UQU. 

I have tried 2 scenarios: 

TB > DP 

Connecting TB to the monitor's display port while the XPS is powered on I get 60hz 4K. Once I reboot, I receive 30hz and in the other poster's case, I see 60hz as an available option in the Graphics Command Center.

DP > DP

Connecting by Display port both ways from the dock to monitor allows me to maintain 60hz, but when I reboot I have screen flickering occurring in the bottom left corner of the display. 

So far, I can remedy either situation by removing the cable from the dock and reinserting. 

0 Kudos
RenMcCourtey
Beginner

Hi, I'm fighting exactly the same issue for a third day now. Do I properly understand your proposed solution is buying a new monitor?

0 Kudos
KhaledHammouda

Sorry, that wasn't a proposed solution, it was just what I did. I wanted to get the Dell UltraSharp monitor anyway, which worked out in this case. Unfortunately it seems that the LG monitor is for some reason incompatible with this Intel graphics chip @ 60Hz. Unless down the road it gets fixed as part of a driver update (if possible).

0 Kudos
RenMcCourtey
Beginner

I see..During those past days I gradually bought a new USB-C, Thunderbolt dock, new DP1.4 cable...Nothing. I have different laptop but the same screen and I found multiple posts around world complaining about the same issue. We all have one thing in common and that's LG 27UK850. I even check the manual to find out if 4k@60Hz is supported on all inputs and it should be. The weirdest thing is even my old Zenbook, which was serving 4k@60Hz via USB-C past few years, sporting Coffee lake CPU, refuses to offer 60Hz via this new DP setup. Only via that proven USB-C cable which came with the screen. There is something fishy about that monitor.:-(

0 Kudos
KhaledHammouda

Agreed. It's still a mystery why it accepts 4K @ 60Hz from some laptops/cables but not others.

0 Kudos
ks5z
Beginner

Is there any update or acknowledgement to this issue? I have a new lenovo yoga 7i with the i5-1135G7 which refuses to use 60hz at 3840x2160 with any 4k monitor in my house or any connection type. I've tried with (2) LG 27UK670 monitors using all input types, usb-c to usb-c, usb-c to hdmi, usb-c to displayport, etc., (1) LG 27UK650 and a Samsung 50 QLED60T 4k television. All cables, work fine with a macbook pro 15" early 2017, macbook air m1, and my work issued lenovo x280, so i know it's either the laptop or the drivers on the yoga 7i. Specs says this laptop has display port 1.4 and that it can drive this resolution, so what's the deal? I'm not chalking it up to the LG monitors, since it won't play correctly with my samsung tv either.

0 Kudos
RenMcCourtey
Beginner

I resolved my case by buying this Thunderbolt dock and I have 2x 4k@60Hz now. Tech support of i-tec went through with me testing and explaining the issue quite well (it was fun, I had Tiger Lake ultrabook before manufacturers like i-tec and MSI and everybody was eager to find out if their hw will operate and what Intel changed in CPU and peripheral communication). Anyway, I was told that Intel CPUs up to Tiger Lake are willing to send 4k@60 picture over four lines only, not two, like competition allowed a few generations ago. In the end, this is loosely related to that if your device is DP1.4 or not. It means following: It is possible to get that resolution with USB-C cable but not a USB-C dock because in the dock only two lines are dedicated to the picture while the other two serve to the various ports found on the dock. In the cables, all four lines usually transport picture thus allowing 4k@60 (but with screen like 27UK850 containing USB3 hub all ports on the screen are degraded to USB2 when connected via USB-C cable anyway, now I understand the reason). Because Thundebolt is 4x faster than USB-C, this is no longer issue with such setup. There are also other related aspects, like MST/SST USB-C transport method.

Now, with Tiger Lake it should finally be possible to get DP1.4 over two lines, but is still depends on the laptop manufacturer implementation (more devices mean less available lines internally, but that's just my guess). Also, there were recent tests of MSI Summit B14 with i5 Tiger lake and Xe is capable of DP 1.4 with no DSC (1x 4k@60Hz only) in that one, so TLs clearly are capable of that. My advice for everybody struggling with that would be: Update all drivers. Seriously, I know everybody says so but it is the post important part. And I am not talking about downloading months old packages from laptop manufacturers but about getting actual drivers from Intel, for all TB, USB, GPU...Make your life easier and use Intel driver assistant if supported. Have Win10 updated also, obviously. For starters, disable Freesync and other options in your monitor, you can try to mess with those later (good luck without Thunderbolt, you're gonna need it). If all this fails, your laptop is TB enabled and you can spend some extra cash, go TB way. If not, try to push your laptop manufacturer to help you with the issue. Yes, I know they probably won't help at all but you have to try at least. If all this fails, return the laptop as broken during your warranty, or what legal mechanism are you given in your country.

0 Kudos
ks5z
Beginner

Ren,

Thank you for such a detailed description. Good to know that a thunderbolt dock was able to eventually do the trick (although I'm hesistant to buy one just to get this resolved, as I really don't need any additional dock functionality and they aren't cheap), kind of defeats the purpose of spending extra for a nice 4k monitor with a usb-c input!

Reading between the lines, it  sounds like tiger lake (designed around displayport 1.4) has an issue with being backwards compatible with the displayport 1.2 standard. Hopefully it's just a software bug that can be fixed, but unfortunately, my yoga is completely up to date on all drivers at this point. What's also odd is that it throws a usb unrecognized device error when I connect my usb-c to hdmi cable which works fine with all my other laptops.

0 Kudos
RenMcCourtey
Beginner

Hi, your case seems to be something else. First of all, I understand why you hesitate with buying TB dock if you're not needing additional features, it makes total sense. I also bought this screen with that feeling, like this is going to take me all that time to 8k, it's future proof, etc.. Well, partly, it seems. Anyway, regarding docks.. It's a good approach to think about them not like an old-fashioned port replicator but as a part of the ultrabooks. Weird? Not so much, there are parts inside that dock we used to have inside laptops not so long time ago, and that race for lightest, thinnest, sexiest laptop is being paid this way. Part of the components were taken from the body of the laptop and was put inside that box laying on your table, effectively splitting the computer into two parts. Hell, there's a PCIe bus between those two boxes, what more proof do we need...

Anyway, I wouldn't say there is anything wrong regarding TL and DP compatibility, at least not anything I'd know about. If all that time digging through specs, whitepapers, etc.. learned me something it is you should speak with Lenovo on your issue, not with Intel. As TLs/Xe are clearly capable of delivering two lane DP 1.4 (even though with no DSC, hopefully yet?), it's laptop manufacturers decision how they incorporate the CPU into their product. I'm sorry I can't give you more on your specific case but my wild guess would be USB-C controller implementation in your Yoga. If you're already up to date with your drivers, do not forget to check for the latest BIOS/UEFI also, and after that? Start pounding Lenovo to explain why your new laptop refuses to work properly in proven environment. Lenovo's support, though still corpoc*ap, is one of the better ones (unfortunately). 

0 Kudos
RenMcCourtey
Beginner

@ks5z, it's probably silly question but looking at the very bottom of this page here: Yoga 7i (14") | 14" 2-in-1 laptop | Lenovo UK I see there is a huge difference between those USB-C ports on your laptop. Did you tried both? Just asking to be sure....

0 Kudos
mike4dodge
Beginner

With the new HDMI 2.1ARC cable, remove the driver/reboot  and windows re-install. reinstall

0 Kudos
mike4dodge
Beginner

YES!, cables,  trash the one that came with it. 

I got the best cable I could find....shorter the better.... I got 3ft, 8k /ARC/rated HDMI 2.1   #cablesmatter

mini pc, i5 1235u  Iris xe  4k @ 60   same on hp laptop  I5 1155g7  4k@60

Respectfully,

Mike

<EMAIL REMOVED> 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @KhaledHammouda

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for your feedback regarding how to problem has been solved. Since the thread has been marked as "Solved" we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. Communications with community peers can continue, but if you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @jpc0480

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

If the problem is only occurring when using the Dell Thunderbolt Dock, our recommendation is to address this concern to DELL™ Support for proper assistance and debugging from their site. Intel cannot test all video cable adapters, splitters, and/or docking stations that have not been manufactured by Intel, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. For more information please refer to Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026412/graphics.html

If you need further assistance and the issue is occurring when using a straight-through connection with a single cable (e.g.: HDMI-to-HDMI, DisplayPort™ to DisplayPort™), we kindly recommend creating a new thread to isolate your case and system configuration since everyone's situation and environment are unique and this will allow us to focus on one issue at the time.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
LukaszMatuszewskiDiT

Hello,

I have the same problem with the Dell Latitude 5420 (11th Gen i5-1145G7 @ 2.60GHz)
Latest drivers, BIOS and Windows updates
The computer is connected to the Dell WD19S 130W Docking Station (USB-C)

Connected to the docking station:
Display Port- Dell U27 Monitor
HDMI - Samsung 67 inch 4K TV

I cannot screen on the TV - it detects but cannot be switched (gray icon in the view settings)

Is there any solution?
Idea?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This may be a limitation of the USB-C interface of this dock, which, because it also supports USB, cuts the DisplayPort throughput in half. I don't know for sure, however. Talk to Dell. 

...S

P.S. If this isn't the case, please open a separate conversation to discuss your issue. Everyone's issue is different (i.e., no, you DO NOT have the same issue as the OP).

0 Kudos